Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 days after getting the car delivered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got the long range scifi car on Thursday. I took all black model and would call it toothless from film how to train your dragon. It really look like it from front.

First time I sat in a Tesla was after delivery. It felt low seated. Not a problem just different. Then, there was no sound of engine. I felt like being in scifi cartoons of old. Like I was in a time machine. Child-like laughter. Fun. Steering felt a bit stiff but I am used to it now. I turned regen to low for first 50 KM. Then turned it on. In a few KM got used to it. I like it. It is fun.

I do have a couple of questions though. I charged it to 100% and after 5 hours, it is now at 99. Assuming linear degradation, on 21st day, battery will be drained. Is that how battery functions normally? Climate control, sentry are set to off. What else can be done? I do not drive regularly so this could be a bit of problem. Specially since I need to go out to get it charged. And how can I improve the range? I feel it is draining quite quickly.

Does checking the car status through phone app every few minutes cause this? I am behaving like a little kid with that app. Just opening it every few minutes to check if it is locked, what's battery like, and just to see "waking up"

Reactions: NOLADriver
First don't charge to 100 % routinely. The top 10% is reserved for long drives, the battery does not like to stay on 100%. Charge to 90% (or 80%). Next indeed opening the app will wake up the car and then it will consume more power and drain.

Now go out to get that charge level from 99 to 90 % to save your battery and to have some fun :)

If you have a raspberry pi you can set up teslamate, it allows you to check all kinds of stuff without waking the car)

Reactions: Diesel2elec
For best life Keep your battery between 20-80 %.
The car is never truly off so drain is expected.
When it’s awake the drain is worse as the majority of system become energized.
The lithium pack is kept at optimum temperature by the cars heating and cooling systems and that takes power.
You will get used to it as time passes.
You can also keep it plugged in when it’s not in use.

Reactions: Diesel2elec
Did you get Full Self Driving (FSD)? If so, turn off summons or smart summons as that consumes battery,

Turn off Sentry Mode and Dashcam if you’re parked Safely in your garage.

Data Sharing (No to all 3 boxes)

“Keep Climate On” to Off, Over heat protection to off.

Dont check the App while it sleeps. Take a note of your KM and check it 12 hours later.

Fred