Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 dual motor - are both motors used all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both motors are always active, but the car shifts the relative power to the wheels based on where it's needed. If you're oversteering, the car will try to compensate, for example - at least that particular example applies to my 17-year-old BMW (i.e. shifting the power is not new technology).

We were more interested in the extra range for long trips, but then we decided that for $9000 we could spend an extra half an hour every few months at a charging station. The single-motor Model 3 still has a silly amount of power, and it handles brilliantly.

The rear motor only is used when cruising in a straight line at a steady speed.

I'm only about 98% sure that's not right :) But I've been wrong before.

In the meantime, please go to this link: Model 3 | Tesla and search for this:

"Unlike traditional all-wheel drive systems, they digitally control torque to the front and rear wheels for far better handling and traction control."

The AWD setup is completely different from ICE cars owing to the fact there are two motors. In ICE AWD setups, with a few notable exceptions, only one set of wheels is driven until those wheels begin to lose traction at which point torque is progressively faded to the other pair of wheels until there is no more slippage.

A Tesla can’t do this as the two motors aren’t connected mechanically. Neither axle can output 100% torque. Both motors can be considered to be active at all times although the amount of power delivered by each will vary with the amount of torque requested and other vehicle conditions.

There is some info here - essentially the car is continually balancing power delivery across the motors as required Tesla All Wheel Drive (Dual Motor) Power and Torque Specifications

I’m not intending to do high torque driving. Just around town. I was told under these circumstances, the front motor does not contribute much to overall torque.

Is Regen braking better with dual motor than single motor?

The AWD setup is completely different from ICE cars owing to the fact there are two motors. In ICE AWD setups, with a few notable exceptions, only one set of wheels is driven until those wheels begin to lose traction at which point torque is progressively faded to the other pair of wheels until there is no more slippage.

My other car, a 2004 BMW BMW, works sort of like that... but it doesn't only send some of the power to the front when it starts to lose traction, it's to help the handling under different conditions. Well, I mean I guess by definition it is losing *some* traction when it sends some power to the front wheels, but it uses all four wheels unless you're going around a tight curve or understeering, etc.

It's more complicated than that, but the point is that it's very intelligent and it does it extremely quickly so that you don't notice it happening.

Again, this is for the xDrive system in my X5, not necessarily for all all-wheel drive cars, let alone Teslas - although you'd think their engineers would build upon the knowledge of the ages rather than ignoring it. :)

My other question is how the car could even work if the motors weren't synchronized. Locking motors to a constant voltage isn't new technology, for example it's been done with audio and video machines for years.

But I'm only speculating.

I’m not intending to do high torque driving. Just around town. I was told under these circumstances, the front motor does not contribute much to overall torque.

Is Regen braking better with dual motor than single motor?

The answer to the torque question is in mh4k's link.

But I'm not sure what you mean by better regen braking. It works very well in our single-motor Model 3, so I'm not sure how it could be improved. If it isn't enough, you just hit the brake; if it were stronger it wouldn't be so smooth to drive.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
The answer to the torque question is in mh4k's link.

But I'm not sure what you mean by better regen braking. It works very well in our single-motor Model 3, so I'm not sure how it could be improved. If it isn't enough, you just hit the brake; if it were stronger it wouldn't be so smooth to drive.
I upgraded from a single motor Model 3 to a performance last year and I can vouch for the much better regen braking.

It feels stronger, though I wish it were even stronger. It makes one pedal driving easier as well and overall more satisfying. I’m not sure what you mean about the smoothness, though. Both methods feel just as smooth. Higher regen is simply easier to control as there’s less switching between pedals.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Just sold out ‘21 RWD sr+
Test drive the AWD a couple of days ago.
There is a noticeable difference when on the go pedal ‘medium’ (turning and pulling into traffic). Much more planted feeling. Add some extra power where the RWD might slip a bit (wet leaves) and the car was significantly more rewarding. Very different (in a good way) over any AWD ‘mechanical’ system I’ve driven.

Reactions: enemji

A Tesla can’t do this as the two motors aren’t connected mechanically. Neither axle can output 100% torque. Both motors can be considered to be active at all times although the amount of power delivered by each will vary with the amount of torque requested and other vehicle conditions.

There is some info here - essentially the car is continually balancing power delivery across the motors as required Tesla All Wheel Drive (Dual Motor) Power and Torque Specifications
That is from 2015 before the Model 3 existed.
As I said earlier, the Model 3 is RWD only until loss of traction or steering input is sensed.
Get ScanMyTesla and you can see for yourself.

That is from 2015 before the Model 3 existed.
As I said earlier, the Model 3 is RWD only until loss of traction or steering input is sensed.
Get ScanMyTesla and you can see for yourself.
^^
This has been proven with everyone that has scanmytesla. Not sure why people still debate the issue.

*disclaimer to be 'technically correct' you should also state that the front motor comes in under full throttle acceleration too, otherwise someone will argue that your post is wrong because of that technicality. 😂

Reactions: RefreshedP
^^
This has been proven with everyone that has scanmytesla. Not sure why people still debate the issue.

*disclaimer to be 'technically correct' you should also state that the front motor comes in under full throttle acceleration too, otherwise someone will argue that your post is wrong because of that technicality. 😂
which is why i added "cruising at a steady speed" ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Sam1
I upgraded from a single motor Model 3 to a performance last year and I can vouch for the much better regen braking.

It feels stronger, though I wish it were even stronger. It makes one pedal driving easier as well and overall more satisfying. I’m not sure what you mean about the smoothness, though. Both methods feel just as smooth. Higher regen is simply easier to control as there’s less switching between pedals.

I only test-drove the dual motor once and don't remember how it behaved, but I'll take your word for it.

All I can say is that I drove our single-motor Model 3 from Sherman Oaks to Santa Monica yesterday and used the brakes a whopping three times the whole 14 mile trip - and very lightly. Regen works very well on the base model.

Bottom line, we decided against spending the extra $9000. The only reason we were considering it was because of the extra range for long trips... but then we figured that for $9000 we can spend an extra half hour at a charger once over few months.

In any case, I personally wouldn't spend all that money just for the regen - or for that matter for the extra power, because the base model has more than you need. Maybe if we were taking it skiing it would be different, because all-wheel drive is a good feature then.

But we're not all the same person, so I'm not telling anyone else to agree with me!

Damn is that why I hear a faint womp womp womp noise when cruising on the highway? It goes away once I start accelerating.
Depends on your geographical location, does the womp womp womp only happen around ghetto areas?

Also - were you in Vegas during SEMA? Thought I seen a car with the same sticker on the door at a supercharger here.

Last edited:
Electric motors are instant power — the dual motor Model 3 just has more of it. Dual motors also allow more athletic handling. The 3’s dynamics are quite good with its low center of gravity, planted steering and sophisticated suspension. The Performance model turns up the wick, not just with better traction, but by using the motors in tandem for better rotation.
Welcome to the forum; don't believe every bit of information you read online (especially marketing statements/terminology). And the M3P doesn't have better traction over the M3LR.

I'm only about 98% sure that's not right :) But I've been wrong before.

In the meantime, please go to this link: Model 3 | Tesla and search for this:

"Unlike traditional all-wheel drive systems, they digitally control torque to the front and rear wheels for far better handling and traction control."
No, you are wrong. The front motor is only used when needed. "When needed" is fairly broad. Preconditioning, track mode, acceleration, regen, etc, etc

Reactions: hcdavis3