TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

3 New Tesla Models on the way!!

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by tesla, Feb 5, 2011.

1. tesla

tesla Member

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

The headline's not new but interesting they claim Model S' platform is a Lotus derived architecture. The basic idea maybe, but then Lotus weren't the first with the idea either.

3. tesla

tesla Member

I think they meant that they're using Lotus' concept of having a single platform and extending it to different vehicles (ex. Lotus Elise, Exige etc.)

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

It says

Which is contrary to most of what we have heard recently.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Journalistic error? Would hardly be the first time if so

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Actually - I'm listening to the Michigan recruitment talk. I take it back, he just said it is based on the Lotus architecture. "The guys that invented it are working for us now."

7. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

Maybe it's derived from the etrne's basis

[​IMG]

8. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

If what he is saying is that the people that designed Lotus's chassis for f.inst. the Elise are now working for Tesla either as contractors or as Tesla employees isn't that a good thing? The Elise chassis is as far as I know a good chassis, and looking at the naked model in Detroit it seems they have redesigned it around an EVs needs. I see the PR part of a pure Tesla made chassis, but as it's a completely new one does it really matter? After all an experienced and excellent chassis engineer has to come from somewhere, they don't hand out experience at birth as far as I know (actually looking at my sisters 1 day old baby yesterday I'm pretty sure they don't :)

Cobos