Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 -> Y, need advice re Model 3/s value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have decided a Y would better fit our needs and I wanted to tap your collective wisdom with regard to how best to trade up. In particular, the resale value has me thinking I must be missing something significant — the Kelly Blue Book value on it hasn’t fallen much from the new price and even stranger, is -higher- than the new price!

Surely I am misunderstanding wildly.

- 2020 Model 3 SR+, white with white interior, standard Aero wheels, purchased Dec 2019, 7700 miles

- KBB gives private party value as $37.8-42.2 in my location (bay area), good condition. (!!)

- For what it's worth, they give trade-in $34K-38K but Tesla is offering $29K

- A new one is $37K minus $1500 from the state (!!)

What am I missing?? Is it really sellable for that?

Wondering this, too. Tesla and Carvana both offered me about the same for my 2018 M3 LR AWD w/EAP with 33k miles, which is surprisingly high. Thinking about going after a Model Y, too as I have a small family and the Y is a better fit. Trying my best to hold out for a CT, but the used car prices are so tempting right now.

Wondering this, too. Tesla and Carvana both offered me about the same for my 2018 M3 LR AWD w/EAP with 33k miles, which is surprisingly high. Thinking about going after a Model Y, too as I have a small family and the Y is a better fit. Trying my best to hold out for a CT, but the used car prices are so tempting right now.
Just curious their offers. For my 2018 M3 Dual motor with FSD, the Tesla offer was 6k over caravana and the like.

I just sold my 2020 Model 3 SR+ a couple less than 2 weeks ago so I move on into a Model Y, and fortunately the buyer took delivery of the car just days before Tesla dropped the price on the Model 3 SR+. I listed my car for $36.5k on the FB Tesla groups and had a bunch of people wanting it, and it sold in 1 day.

Carvana offered me $35k but I would've had to change out the Eibach springs and put the stock ones back in and throw on the 18" Aero wheels, but then I could've sold the Perf wheels & Eibach springs later. Vroom offered $33k and Tesla offered me $29.9k. My car had only 4k miles on it and the body was in prestine condition.

The car had full paint correction done, front PPF, full ceramic coating, ceramic window tint (every glass), chrome delete, Hansshow powered trunk & powered frunk, Homelink, Eibach springs & new 20" Performance wheels & tires, included the factory springs and brand new 18" Aero wheels & tires with the car, and whatever other mods I left on the car like CF console & dash wrap, CF trunk spoiler, and other goodies.

Yeah, I lost a lot on the car but it doesn't bother me. I look at it as a fun project for the past year, and now was the time to move onto something else.... a Model Y.

I just sold my 2020 Model 3 SR+ a couple less than 2 weeks ago so I move on into a Model Y, and fortunately the buyer took delivery of the car just days before Tesla dropped the price on the Model 3 SR+. I listed my car for $36.5k on the FB Tesla groups and had a bunch of people wanting it, and it sold in 1 day.

Carvana offered me $35k but I would've had to change out the Eibach springs and put the stock ones back in and throw on the 18" Aero wheels, but then I could've sold the Perf wheels & Eibach springs later. Vroom offered $33k and Tesla offered me $29.9k. My car had only 4k miles on it and the body was in prestine condition.

The car had full paint correction done, front PPF, full ceramic coating, ceramic window tint (every glass), chrome delete, Hansshow powered trunk & powered frunk, Homelink, Eibach springs & new 20" Performance wheels & tires, included the factory springs and brand new 18" Aero wheels & tires with the car, and whatever other mods I left on the car like CF console & dash wrap, CF trunk spoiler, and other goodies.

Yeah, I lost a lot on the car but it doesn't bother me. I look at it as a fun project for the past year, and now was the time to move onto something else.... a Model Y.

What is the name of the FB group? I am thinking of the Y as well.

I'm in the same boat as OP, looking at the most cost effective way to upgrade to a MY. Current owner of a 2020 M3SR+ and perfectly happy with the range as my commute is only 36 miles round trip, but I'm considering upgrade to a MY due to space, so I'm only looking at a MY SR. Right now the price seems to be right to sell, private party price here in the greater Seattle area seems to be above $37k so above new car price. But I think it'll drop dramatically once the new green act is passed as that $7k tax credit will kill the resale value.
I think the best way moving forward is sell the car right now, and wait to order the MY once the tax credit passes, but the problem is you'll be without a car for a while (I have another car so no issue there), but for me the MY SR may not be available by then.