Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tanked Model 3 values?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s teslas fault they have such scope to reduce prices significantly though. BMW etc do not. That’s what’s killing used teslas. Moral of the story is don’t buy a Tesla. Second and last for me. Crazy company. Awful boss.
I'm not sure how it's a "fault" that they have so much margin across the cars. That's something other manufacturers can only dream of.

Unfortuately Tesla's only meaningful revenue stream is selling cars. Whatever they make from aftersales is surely negligible, given they don't even mandate servicing for warranty, etc. This means they are highly motivated to keep increasing volume, even if that means reducing the OTR price of the cars. Consequently it's people who actually buy the cars who suffer, as it stands to reason the greater the choice on the second hand market, the less likely any individual selling their car is going to get top money for theirs.

Reactions: Exy1
US data so not sure how that will translate to the UK market however it suggests used car prices (in general) are rising again:

Mid-March-2023-Manheim-Used-Vehicle-Value-Index.jpg

I'm not sure how it's a "fault" that they have so much margin across the cars. That's something other manufacturers can only dream of.

Unfortuately Tesla's only meaningful revenue stream is selling cars. Whatever they make from aftersales is surely negligible, given they don't even mandate servicing for warranty, etc. This means they are highly motivated to keep increasing volume, even if that means reducing the OTR price of the cars. Consequently it's people who actually buy the cars who suffer, as it stands to reason the greater the choice on the second hand market, the less likely any individual selling their car is going to get top money for theirs.
Do you sleep in Tesla PJs? Have a Tesla quilt cover and matching curtains. Cute.

But I can’t help wondering whether Tesla’s aggressive discounting has compounded the market conditions.
That combined with many M3s ending their 3 year lease/finance terms and also many owners upgrading to MY that has left an over supply of used vehicles.

But the ‘aggressive discounting’ is just correcting their price hikes over the previous 12 months back to normal levels.

That combined with many M3s ending their 3 year lease/finance terms and also many owners upgrading to MY that has left an over supply of used vehicles.

But the ‘aggressive discounting’ is just correcting their price hikes over the previous 12 months back to normal levels.
That’s true - if I were one of the people who bought during the temporary massive price hike and was needing to sell now I think I’d be crying myself to sleep every night for a month 🤣 (Sorry to anyone reading who actually is in that situation!!)

I had a look earlier at a US used car website… interestingly, M3 values don’t seem to have collapsed over there to anywhere near the extent that they have here. I wonder if there is a bit of a uniquely British phenomenon going on here (or perhaps European?) where the combination of the oversupply you mention, plus the huge electricity tariffs at the moment have hit Tesla used values extremely hard. If that is the case, if electricity tariffs start going down over the year perhaps the value of UK cars might recover a little bit? No way of knowing I guess… hard to know whether I should cut my losses and attempt to sell now or hold on a few more months to see if prices recover.

No some of our US cohort are experiencing similar except with other models

I suspect something similar will manifest with the M3 soon, however our market is much smaller so I would guess a glut of second hand cars would appear faster.

The main stream media, despite all of their scaremongering on climate change, love bashing EVs imo and I notice that Teslas are often used as the poster boy when showing queues at charging stations.

It must put off a lot of people from transitioning to an EV and hence limit demand.

I’ve accepted and quite content that I’ll probably keep my M3 for longer than any car I’ve had before - maybe long enough that EAP will be good enough to purchase for it at some point 🤷‍♂️.