Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30% tint all around, too light, too dark, or just enough for the back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tint is all about personal preference ... depends what you want.

Visibility
20% or darker: harder for people see in and you to see out
30% or lighter: easier for people to see in and you to see out

Looks
20% or darker: Limo, illegal activity look
30% or lighter: Subtle, classy look

Heat Rejection
20% or darker: usually better/higher
30% or lighter: usually less

The Law
20% or darker: more potential legal issues
30% or lighter: less legal issues

not really. outside of that you potentially dont see people at night it also makes it very hard at night and day to look into the cabin. so i.e. a pedestrian or a cyclist cannot see your face and i.e. see that you have acknowledged them.

Reactions: southbay3

Visibility

Looks

Heat Rejection

The Law
I laughed at “illegal activity look.”

I don’t get dark tint to do illegal things inside my vehicle. That’s a little discriminatory don’t you think?

I don’t get dark tint to do illegal things inside my vehicle. That’s a little discriminatory don’t you think?

Haha, I did that jokingly as I was just describing the look of the car. I do know that officers do not like dark tint because all kinds of illegal things (drinking, concealing, kinky stuff, driving naked, driving asleep in FSD mode, etc). can be happening out of their view.

I don't think it's really about what you feel but what is reality. Unfortunately with the weaponlaws and drug issues in america i.e. a police officer or a pedestrian can never be completely sure with what is going on inside the vehicle with very dark tints.

That's also the reason why in Australia you are not allowed to tint the rear windows as much as you like whereas in europe you arent allowed to tint front windows but rear ones as much as you please down to 0% (as the police officer can look through the front window and gets a very clear untinted view)

I personally don't think the vision issue is that much of a deal, in warmer climates dark tints definetly reduce drivers fatigue during the daytime and I would actually be a fan of them introducing i.e. 70% tints on front windows in Australia. I have this 35% strip 20cm strip on the top which we are allowed and that actually makes quite a bit of a difference when the sun hits at the right angle.

But the issue remains that below 50-70% you cannot really look inside the vehicle which just causes issues for pedestrians.in traffic

I don't think it's really about what you feel but what is reality. Unfortunately with the weaponlaws and drug issues in america i.e. a police officer or a pedestrian can never be completely sure with what is going on inside the vehicle with very dark tints.

That's also the reason why in Australia you are not allowed to tint the rear windows as much as you like whereas in europe you arent allowed to tint front windows but rear ones as much as you please down to 0% (as the police officer can look through the front window and gets a very clear untinted view)

I personally don't think the vision issue is that much of a deal, in warmer climates dark tints definetly reduce drivers fatigue during the daytime and I would actually be a fan of them introducing i.e. 70% tints on front windows in Australia. I have this 35% strip 20cm strip on the top which we are allowed and that actually makes quite a bit of a difference when the sun hits at the right angle.

But the issue remains that below 50-70% you cannot really look inside the vehicle which just causes issues for pedestrians.in traffic
You can for sure see in with 35% tint. It's not dark at all. Here in Missouri, you can do whatever % on the back, and 35% on the front, but I've been there done that, it sucks. I like the privacy of 18%. On my Chevy SS (Holden Commodore ;)) I just have 18% all around and nothing on the windshield.

Hey all, just read through this thread (and many others) and there is a lot of good info, thanks for sharing!

My question to all of you...I was only planning on getting the side windows tinted..Is this common? Does it look weird only getting the sides? I was planning on doing 30% all around and the leaving back and front windshield stock...Has anyone else done this? pics?

Visibility

Looks

Heat Rejection

The Law
what about 25%

Hey all, just read through this thread (and many others) and there is a lot of good info, thanks for sharing!

My question to all of you...I was only planning on getting the side windows tinted..Is this common? Does it look weird only getting the sides? I was planning on doing 30% all around and the leaving back and front windshield stock...Has anyone else done this? pics?

I would spend the extra money on getting the front tinted. I have XPEL XR Plus 70 on the windshield and you can not tell that it's tinted at all when looking at it. The heat rejection is HUGE though.

Reactions: mlkmade

in most countries it is illegal to tint the windshield. so yeah it is normal. Doesn't look weird at all.

Reactions: mlkmade
Correct about the front, 99% of people who tint the sides don't do the windshield, but getting the sides done and not the rear window would look strange.

I appreciate your honest opinion..was what I was hoping for, thanks. My logic on skipping the rear window was that it was already half factory tinted anyway and the cost doubles/triples the price compared to just side windows....cost/benefit type thing... I understand you though..Something for me to chew on I guess.

Correct about the front, 99% of people who tint the sides don't do the windshield, but getting the sides done and not the rear window would look strange.

I don't know why people keep saying this as if it was a fact. Multiple people have done exactly that and it looks different but it doesn't look "strange", and I would say strange is subjective.

Tint door windows, but not rear window? (more posts in that thread)
(visual example)
(another visual example)

Really comes down to personal preference.

If you need the additional heat rejection (some people say it's necessary, some not) but don't want to make it too dark get a lighter tint just for the rear, like a 50% or even lighter. With today's tint you'll still get great heat rejection even with such tint. Example: Photosync 70 on all windows (just to see how 70 looks on the rear): Vendor - EVS Motors is your exclusive Authorized PhotoSync Window Film Installer & Dealer

I don't know why people keep saying this as if it was a fact. Multiple people have done exactly that and it looks different but it doesn't look "strange", and I would say strange is subjective.

Tint door windows, but not rear window? (more posts in that thread)
(visual example)
(another visual example)

Really comes down to personal preference.

If you need the additional heat rejection (some people say it's necessary, some not) but don't want to make it too dark get a lighter tint just for the rear, like a 50% or even lighter. With today's tint you'll still get great heat rejection even with such tint. Example: Photosync 70 on all windows (just to see how 70 looks on the rear): Vendor - EVS Motors is your exclusive Authorized PhotoSync Window Film Installer & Dealer
Sure. It is subjective, and it looks strange.

Why would you NOT want to do your back window? It cuts down on headlights behind you and it's such a large window and helps with privacy and heat rejection. With backup cameras now there's no issue backing up at night. I used to have vehicles back years ago before backup cameras and ran 5% tint, that was fun.

• Disagree
Reactions: EfficientWatts