Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

-30C(-22F) this week. How is your car handling it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Team,

It has been almost 2 weeks of -30C/-22F in Montreal.

I'm wondering how is your car handling it? What is your summer mileage numbers and what is this weeks numbers?
Also if you leave your car overnight how many km/miles are you loosing?
Any starting issues?

This is my biggest concern as even last year we had - 30C weather for 4 Days. This time it's almost a full month :/

My car is at airport and has been for several days. It has been as cold as -15F
I am heading home now and will get to the car in about 3 hours or so.

I have lost about 40 miles of range so far and when I checked it a few minutes ago I had the snowflake symbol on my battery.

I have only 5 miles to drive when I get to the car. Hope I make it home with the 200 miles of range it says I have!

Handling excellent..No starting issues. I have heated garage ,energy saving off and always connected I noticed about 4 to 5 km overnight loss approximately.

Attachments

• 20171230_153651.jpg
    20171230_153651.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 108
  • 20171230_153525.jpg
    20171230_153525.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 20180102_112106.jpg
    20180102_112106.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 98
No issues here other than one day I washed the car off and garaged it, but it had frozen handles that had to break free to self present and brakes that we're frozen where there's a loud metallic bang when putting into drive and stepping on the accelerator. No issues driving, 90 mile commute round trip, takes about 45-50% battery heat on 81° F and super toasty the whole drive.

Is this what you are referring to?
If yes it means your battery is cold and is heating up. It goes away once your battery is heated. Gives some limited regeneration as you start to drive. Yes you can preheat..
View attachment 270603

No it is on the Tesla app. When I check the charging part it shows the battery with 202 miles remains and a white snowflake and a small blue bar. I know the small blue bar is the range withheld.

No it is on the Tesla app. When I check the charging part it shows the battery with 202 miles remains and a white snowflake and a small blue bar. I know the small blue bar is the range withheld.
My screenshot is from tesla app while preheating though.
Sorry I have not noticed or looked at a white snow flake in the charging part. My guess is that it's showing that your battery is cold.
I would preheat nonetheless .

• Helpful
Reactions: appleguru
I’ve been having to stop at pretty much every charger here in VT even though I wanted to skip some. My average Wh/mi had been varying between 480-570. The range estimate kept going down even though I already turned on range mode, slowed to 10 under the speed limit, and turn the heat to 65.
Regen also takes a very long time to come on and Supercharging with a cold battery is painfully slow.
Also my All season tires weren’t up for the challenge :(
D09F88BA-6E5F-43BF-913A-61050CA6AEED.jpeg

34CB7033-F6BD-436B-A06B-F750080B9E31.jpeg

I’ve been having to stop at pretty much every charger here in VT even though I wanted to skip some. My average Wh/mi had been varying between 480-570. The range estimate kept going down even though I already turned on range mode, slowed to 10 under the speed limit, and turn the heat to 65.
Regen also takes a very long time to come on and Supercharging with a cold battery is painfully slow.
View attachment 270618
View attachment 270619
Hope everyone is safe.
I can't afford to skip SC in winters especially with kids.I had to go to range mode, dropped speed, switched to energy saving on , and lastly hypermiling.
I vote Nokian hakkapeliitta for winter tires.

Reactions: Yoona and navinsiri
I am staying at home most of this week. The car is parked in the (unheated) garage. Plugged in all the time.
The temperature is getting close to 0 F (-18 C) this week.
Does it make any sense to turn on the car's heater from time to time? Or should I just keep it frozen?
What do you guys think?

I am staying at home most of this week. The car is parked in the (unheated) garage. Plugged in all the time.
The temperature is getting close to 0 F (-18 C) this week.
Does it make any sense to turn on the car's heater from time to time? Or should I just keep it frozen?
What do you guys think?
I had left my car in open parking at hotel in -24°C. Chose to preheat 45min prior to resuming my trip, the reason was that I would be using up a ton of energy every time I heat and the battery gets cold soaked again if I heated it time to time.
Let it freeze..Tesla starts up easily... don't forget to preheat 45min to 1hr and you will be good to go.
Just noted you are plugged in which is good.
Also start to charge an hour before going whatever extra juice you want , that also helps heating up your battery and would draw power from plug in source.

Last edited:
Reactions: DriveMe
View attachment 270618
View attachment 270619
I was driving through coquihalla and Rogers pass British Columbia and Alberta, dangerous and frigid driving conditions.
I had a slight slip and immediately changed to chill mode which was very helpful as the sudden acceleration was gone. Tried low regeneration did not like it and went back to standard regen , used the brake only couple of times controlling speed thro regen very smoothly.

• Informative
Reactions: navinsiri
I love my Michelin X-ice3 tires. Been super cold in Chicago. Sucks but what can you do? Averaged more energy per mile than I've ever done. Running 430wh/mi average which is insane. I am using heat at 67 as well as seat heat and steering heat.

Range is diminished but car is comfortable. I wouldn't road trip if it was this cold regardless of vehicle drivetrain.