TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

360 surround-view of the car (DRIVE PX 2 stitches camera images)

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by scottf200, Aug 20, 2017.

1. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Has anyone at Tesla hinted at providing 360 surround-view (aka bird's eye) view of the car for things like parking backing out of garage, etc? The HW2 Nvidia board would appear to have features to help even. One use for all the cameras around the car unless I'm missing something (like they are not at the right angle of view)

Aside: With one hurt eye in an accident while driving my old Tesla, I sure would appreciate more help seeing all around the vehicle for safety reasons, ease of seeing in tight parking in public, or garages.

Above via this article for one place: NVIDIA's Deep Learning Car Computer Selected by Volvo on Journey Toward a Crash-Free Future

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

It's been often said that there is no front camera to give you what's right in front of the car for a real 360/overhead view. And the cameras don't do 'color', they do GGGR (gray/gray/gray/red). No good answer to an often asked-for feature, and one answer is that for autonomous, it's not needed, as the car parks itself using ultrasonics. Yes, we know that's a ways off to be useful to everyone all the time.

I want it also, as video is a lot more useful than ultrasonics!

3. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I appreciate the follow up and understand your point about there not being a front camera that essentially points down for that view. I guess the side cameras may not either. I have seen where other companies side cameras in are the side mirrors. Heck I would be satisfied with 270 degrees even because the sides and back are the hardest to see and judge.

I follow the GGGR comment (red being the most useful for stop lights, etc) but I wouldn't even care if it was black and white. A lot of 360 degree bird's eye views I've seen are B&W.

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

And I agree B&W/grayscale would be useful also. But I think they are so fixated on autonomous, we aren't going to see it. :(

5. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

6. Thorbjorn

Thorbjorn Member

Elon said somewhere it´s in devmode. I guess they will release it if they are satisfied and/or have time.

• Informative x 1
  7. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

@scottf200

This partially simulated image (based on real side marker and B pillar camera images) I made illustrates the problem... something like this is in dev mode but...

[​IMG]

Still, a partial birdseye view from front mirrors back in B&W would be possible...

• Helpful x 2
  8. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Just a few more comments, I think my picture in the previous post above speaks volumes already...

Yes, only the rear camera is in color, rest are GGGR.

Also, there is not just the lack of a nose camera to see what's in front of the bumper beneath the bonnet (not seen by the front fisheye on top of the windscreen), there is also the problem of B pillar cameras not seeing the front corners (and side marker cameras also of course not helping).

Normally 360 view cars have side cameras in the mirrors as well as nose and rear fisheyes that can cover all four sides. Tesla does not have cameras that can fully cover all four sides close to ther car.

So, a large dark area around the nose of the car then...

9. number12

number12 Active Member

Probably with ap3.0. Change all cameras to color, add nose camera, etc. dec 2016

• Funny x 1