Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not in my case... I've tried "Energy Saving" ON and with "Always Connected" checked, but I experience the same issue 100%. The only way it's reliable, is with "Energy Saving" OFF. I hope they fix this soon. The other thing I notice that is correlated to this, in addition the cellular data connection being dropped and taking a long time to re-establish, also frequently the instrument display reboots when entering the car. Again with "Energy Saving" OFF that never happens. Someone in this thread suggested this might be a Canada only problem related to the nature of roaming. Wonder if there is something to that?
Ditto. Only works in off and always connected mode.

It's more likely related to the specific combination of hardware that your car has. In the early days Tesla was revising the hardware very frequently; the Signature cars and early Production cars often have very different hardware versions from each other. Some Rangers refer to Signatures as "snowflakes" because every one is unique.

When you consider that many pieces of hardware have been revised (Tesla makes continual improvements), and that some cars have had hardware replacements, one car might have a different combination from all others. For example, my Signature was built around November 2012 (delivered December), so most of the hardware is of that vintage. But I have the updated door handles that do the 90/10 thing (because they had all been replaced more than once), and a touchscreen that's several revisions newer because it was also replaced. Among other things. So it's quite possible that my car has a unique combination of hardware versions.

It's possible that some people have issues with a firmware release that other people don't have, simply because of the small hardware differences. This makes it tough on the firmware guys because if they can't replicate a problem on the test beds that they have, it is pretty hard to fix it.

Not in my case... I've tried "Energy Saving" ON and with "Always Connected" checked, but I experience the same issue 100%. The only way it's reliable, is with "Energy Saving" OFF. I hope they fix this soon. The other thing I notice that is correlated to this, in addition the cellular data connection being dropped and taking a long time to re-establish, also frequently the instrument display reboots when entering the car. Again with "Energy Saving" OFF that never happens. Someone in this thread suggested this might be a Canada only problem related to the nature of roaming. Wonder if there is something to that?

Curious to know if you have tried NIGHT and "Always Connected"

Last edited:

AFAIK It's not rebooting, it's just booting up as it was in a sleep/off state when you entered the car...

Not only in Canada

This issue with 3G connectivity sounds exactly like my problems, but I'm in Spokane WA. Service center has not been able to help. I will try the energy saving and always connected trick, but only when I really need navigation. What I have noticed is when I loose the 3G, the one way I can get it back (not counting a reset) is to pull into my garage where the car connects to my wifi. The next time I leave 3G is back alive.

Curious to know if you have tried NIGHT and "Always Connected"

Yes I just tried this over the last few days. And yes it still happens with NIGHT and "Always Connected". Yesterday evening when I went out it lost 3G connectivity for about 15 minutes I noted that the Slacker stopped when it got out of range of my WiFi. I Looked at the cellular signal bars and it was showing Edge, and actually Slacker seem to intermittently work for a few minutes. Then it showed no bars, and stayed that way for ~15 minutes. No Slacker, no Google maps, no browser. It came back suddenly and all was working after that. Now.. I'm not totally sure what NIGHT means. So it's sleeping at night and awake in the day? But what hours? That could explain why it went several days without any problem (daytime driving) but as soon as I drove in the evening.. Wham! Well I hope they're working on a fix for this..

Yes I just tried this over the last few days. And yes it still happens with NIGHT and "Always Connected". Yesterday evening when I went out it lost 3G connectivity for about 15 minutes I noted that the Slacker stopped when it got out of range of my WiFi. I Looked at the cellular signal bars and it was showing Edge, and actually Slacker seem to intermittently work for a few minutes. Then it showed no bars, and stayed that way for ~15 minutes. No Slacker, no Google maps, no browser. It came back suddenly and all was working after that. Now.. I'm not totally sure what NIGHT means. So it's sleeping at night and awake in the day? But what hours? That could explain why it went several days without any problem (daytime driving) but as soon as I drove in the evening.. Wham! Well I hope they're working on a fix for this..

In the release notes it says NIGHT mode activates from 10pm-5am. Perhaps after 10pm with NIGHT setting 3G will still drop even with "always connected". I have not really tested much past 10. What time were you out?

In the release notes it says NIGHT mode activates from 10pm-5am. Perhaps after 10pm with NIGHT setting 3G will still drop even with "always connected". I have not really tested much past 10. What time were you out?

It was 6:30 pm.

- - - Updated - - -

I received a message from Tesla in response to this issue.

They are very aware of the problem and are working to fix. This is an issue with their hosting supplier not with the car.

Yes, someone above mentioned that possibility, but then why does the signal strength indicator show zero? That's like it failed to even register with the local cellular base.

I just reviewed my settings and sleep was disabled... I don't remember changing that setting but whatever!

I just switched it back to Nightly / Always On as an experiment. I will be prepared to switch back if needed.

Another curiosity, though. Yesterday my updated maps finally installed. Last night I had negligible vampire loss according to Visible Tesla. I wonder if there's a correlation there - had it been trying to download maps every night for a couple of months? It's possible because the WiFi signal in the garage is really bad. We'll see what happens tonight.

I just reviewed my settings and sleep was disabled... I don't remember changing that setting but whatever!

I just switched it back to Nightly / Always On as an experiment. I will be prepared to switch back if needed.

Another curiosity, though. Yesterday my updated maps finally installed. Last night I had negligible vampire loss according to Visible Tesla. I wonder if there's a correlation there - had it been trying to download maps every night for a couple of months? It's possible because the WiFi signal in the garage is really bad. We'll see what happens tonight.
I removed my home wifi settings because of that. The wifi will complain every morning, but who cares... Every firmware update I got was through 3G.