Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also confirmed tonight that NIGHTLY and Always connected still has 3G connection issue after 10pm. Got in the car tonight at 10:45 it took a couple seconds to wake up and I got a "car needs service message" and the 3G never came active. Rebooted centre screen after 5 minutes and still no 3G. Went to Display settings turned sleep mode to OFF and when I toggled "always connected" 3G came active immediately.

Last edited:
The main problem I have had with 6.x is that it no longer caches web pages, so a static site like "Peacemaker package" reloads every time (and takes forever). It use to just pop up after being loaded the first time.

The other issue is that the owners manual pages don't redraw if accessed a second time. (That is, go to a manual page, then do something else, then go back to the owners manual, and although it opens at the last page accessed, the page doesn't display unless you navigate to another page and then back.)

Neither of these behaviours happened before 6.x.

Also confirmed tonight that NIGHTLY and Always connected still has 3G connection issue after 10pm. Got in the car tonight at 10:45 it took a couple seconds to wake up and I got a "car needs service message" and the 3G never came active. Rebooted centre screen after 5 minutes and still no 3G. Went to Display settings turned sleep mode to OFF and when I toggled "always connected" 3G came active immediately.

FWIW, I use the same settings and am not having this problem. I will often check the car at around 11:00 pm before I hit the sack to make sure I plugged it in and it's set to charge overnight. It connects instantly with the app leading me to believe I do have good connectivity.

When you check at 11:00 pm, could it be that the car is connected via WiFi instead of 3G?

It doesn't seem to matter. Works either way. I was recently plugged in at a hotel during a 2-day business trip (no WiFi) and it was fine. At home, I am sometimes connected to WiFi but lately I haven't been because I had to remove my WiFi extender (which reaches the garage) for the Christmas tree.

It doesn't seem to matter. Works either way. I was recently plugged in at a hotel during a 2-day business trip (no WiFi) and it was fine. At home, I am sometimes connected to WiFi but lately I haven't been because I had to remove my WiFi extender (which reaches the garage) for the Christmas tree.

Ok but do you use slacker or nav? I haven't had a problem with the app connecting either, it is 3G dropping while driving using slacker or nav.

Ok but do you use slacker or nav? I haven't had a problem with the app connecting either, it is 3G dropping while driving using slacker or nav.

I use Slacker and/or Tunin all the time. Never had a problem with it dropping out except at one particular spot along the 401 where the 3G signal level drops to zero. It's always exactly the same spot, and a bit worse when it's raining, so I don't think that's the car's fault. I use Nav infrequently, but always have the Google Maps view up with traffic showing. Again, no problems.

Quite a while back, I would find that 3G connectivity would get gradually worse over, say, a month or so. I'd re-boot and it would be back to normal. I haven't had that problem for at least a couple of firmware updates now.

Ugh, I drove all the way to the airport and back today, with no 3G connection, fortunately I know the way so I didn't need the Nav :tongue:, but also I couldn't listen to Slacker. It finally got connected about when I arrived back on my own street. I am truly surprised such a serious bug is left unresolved for so long, over many updates.

I ahve only had my car for 12 days and I got 6.1 a few days ago. Yesterday, while on 6.1, my 3G wouldn't connect on Yonge St in Toronto when my iPhone was 5 bars. After several minutes I did a reboot of the screen and after that it was good. Don't know if this is at all related to the earlier posts.

Too bad that the Tesla AT&T roaming connects to Rogers network. Their coverage is lacking in many areas of Canada while Telus and Bell ( shared towers ) cover quite a bit of NFLD and the Trans Canada Highway.

Attachments

• Rogers 3G Coverage.jpg
    Rogers 3G Coverage.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Telus 3G Coverage.jpg
    Telus 3G Coverage.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 314
Very true but I don't think there are many SCs planned for NF so driving around the province would be a challenge. There is also no Rogers service on the West side of Cape Breton Island, home to Canada's top golf resort. I go there often, but I don't drive from T.O.

My car's 3G connection has been rock solid. Also I know the car has been sleeping because Visible Tesla has told me. It wakes up very quickly as well. I think this issue is resolved.

Another observation with the new software is I am getting 5 3G bars much of the time now. I don't even remember getting 5 bars much at all before. I wonder if they have switched providers?