Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my update. I am running 6.2(2.4.136).

ENERGY SAVING ON, Always connected checked - would not connect after 5 minutes when I got in the car this morning. Also got a "touchscreen needs service" error yesterday which required a reboot.

ENERGY SAVINGS ON, Always connected Unchecked - no problems as before.

Well, sorry to say after a few days with 6.2 the problem is still not fixed. Energy Savings ON, Always connected CHECKED: Frequently no 3G for up to 20 mins starting out after a few hours idle. Like in the morning, or home from work. How to formally report this bug?

I wonder why they have Canadian cars using AT&T SIMs and then roaming onto Rogers. I bet that is why we have these problems in Canada - for some reason the roaming authentication is causing problems. Why wouldn't they just get SIMs from Rogers (or Belus) for Canadians?

I wonder why they have Canadian cars using AT&T SIMs and then roaming onto Rogers. I bet that is why we have these problems in Canada - for some reason the roaming authentication is causing problems. Why wouldn't they just get SIMs from Rogers (or Belus) for Canadians?

I thought I read somewhere that the SIM is built right onto the circuit board, or is implemented somehow in software and is not replaceable.

Hopefully soft SIMs can be reassigned from one carrier to another. There are also a lot of rumours that Tesla will be doing a hardware upgrade to switch the modems from 3G to LTE. Let's hope they keep Canada in mind when they do this.

Again this morning I had about 15 minutes with no connection. The signal was oscillating from 0-5 bars but wouldn't show the 3G symbol. Its a good thing that my XM sub hasn't run out yet.

6.2 (136) and still no problems here. I wonder if there are different generations of the 3G radio in the car that cause problems for some, and not for others?

We have 6.2 (2.4.136) on our S85 (late 2013) and the 3G drops out virtually daily. When it's gone, it's usually at start up, but it has happened while driving. It comes back after 5 or 10 minutes. The problem started last October and has been significantly worse in the last few weeks.

Energy saving seems to be the problem here.

Energy Saving : ON Always Connected ON = Problem after sleep so basically at every start
Energy Saving : OFF Always Connected ON = Problem ONLY when resuming from sleep. Ex : at the middle of the night
Energy Saving : ON Always Connected OFF = Problems after sleep
Energy Saving : OFF Always Connected OFF = Problem ONLY when resuming from sleep. Ex : at the middle of the night

I contacted Tesla about the issue (just after posting here) and was told this :

To mitigate this, we are recommending that customers disable the Energy Savings feature as well as unchecking the box called Always Connected.
It seems to add some stability to the 3G but is not a permanent fix.

[...]

Please navigate on the touchscreen to: CONTROLS  DISPLAYS  ENERGY SAVINGS, OFF and Always Connected Unchecked.

Hopefully we will have a resolution soon.

FYI : I asked if I could post the workaround online and it was OK.

MKnox.. you've always insisted that you don't have this problem, every time someone says they do have it, but can you tell us your Energy Saving, and Always Connected setting? And also do you listen to Slacker or Internet radio when you start out in the morning? If not it might be hard to actually tell the 3G is dropping out.

MKnox.. you've always insisted that you don't have this problem, every time someone says they do have it, but can you tell us your Energy Saving, and Always Connected setting? And also do you listen to Slacker or Internet radio when you start out in the morning? If not it might be hard to actually tell the 3G is dropping out.

I have tried all of the setting combinations as a result of what I'm seeing in this thread and have not experienced the dropping out problem... ever. I have settled on Energy Savings On with Always Connected ticked because I don't like the delay when I get in the car if it's sleeping (during the day) and sometimes have trouble getting the mobile app to connect if the car is sleeping and/or if the mobile access has "gone to sleep".

I use Slacker continuously and use Satellite View on the maps all the time as well. The car will be on WiFi in my garage, but flips over to 3G seamlessly as I set out with no interruptions to either Slacker or the maps.

What I can say is that if I do a re-boot, it takes the 3G a very long time to come back. The system will be up and running, Bluetooth will connect, but it takes a very long time for the cellular bars to come back, then a further long time for the 3G icon to appear. The whole process may take 10 minutes. But this is when I have initiated a re-boot.

Another observation is this: On my commute between the Toronto area and the Waterloo Region (in Ontario) there is a spot on Hwy 401 just west of Milton where the 3G signal is very low. On most days it's fine, but if it's raining I will sometimes get a 3G drop out. I assume the rain is weakening an already weak 3G signal. It's always in the same location so I am sure it is a signal strength issue and not the car doing something weird. Once the signal is restored as I drive out of the weak signal area (and again, only if it's raining), Slacker and the maps come right back.

- - - Updated - - -

Energy Saving : ON Always Connected ON = Problem after sleep so basically at every start

Those are my preferred settings, and I don't seem to be having any issues. Energy Savings On only causes the car to sleep at night, so I don't often get in to the car when it's actually sleeping, but I have, and have not experienced any connectivity problems.

Why Energy Savings On? Wouldn't you think that would cause more problems to reacquire a 3G signal?

For some reason my 3G have improved over the last week. I went from 10-20 mins to lock in to about 4-5 minutes to no issue at all in the last day or two. I haven't changed any settings on my car.

I have tried all of the setting combinations as a result of what I'm seeing in this thread and have not experienced the dropping out problem... ever. I have settled on Energy Savings On with Always Connected ticked because I don't like the delay when I get in the car if it's sleeping (during the day) and sometimes have trouble getting the mobile app to connect if the car is sleeping and/or if the mobile access has "gone to sleep".

I use Slacker continuously and use Satellite View on the maps all the time as well. The car will be on WiFi in my garage, but flips over to 3G seamlessly as I set out with no interruptions to either Slacker or the maps.

What I can say is that if I do a re-boot, it takes the 3G a very long time to come back. The system will be up and running, Bluetooth will connect, but it takes a very long time for the cellular bars to come back, then a further long time for the 3G icon to appear. The whole process may take 10 minutes. But this is when I have initiated a re-boot.

Another observation is this: On my commute between the Toronto area and the Waterloo Region (in Ontario) there is a spot on Hwy 401 just west of Milton where the 3G signal is very low. On most days it's fine, but if it's raining I will sometimes get a 3G drop out. I assume the rain is weakening an already weak 3G signal. It's always in the same location so I am sure it is a signal strength issue and not the car doing something weird. Once the signal is restored as I drive out of the weak signal area (and again, only if it's raining), Slacker and the maps come right back.

- - - Updated - - -

Those are my preferred settings, and I don't seem to be having any issues. Energy Savings On only causes the car to sleep at night, so I don't often get in to the car when it's actually sleeping, but I have, and have not experienced any connectivity problems.

The car sleeps at night even with energy savings off. I thought I read that energy savings ON lets it sleep during the day as well. (Touch the i icon next to the energy savings settings...)

The car sleeps at night even with energy savings off. I thought I read that energy savings ON lets it sleep during the day as well. (Touch the i icon next to the energy savings settings...)

Oops, you might be right. I landed on the option that lets the car sleep only at night, but leave 3G Always Connected. As I wrote that, I thought that was the Energy Savings On setting with the assumption that "Off" left it off all the time. I have tried all of the different combinations over time and like this one. No waiting for the car to come alive and the app connects quickly, except in those very rare occasions where I'm in the car late at night. But even then, I don't have 3G connectivity issues under those conditions.