Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G Pricing - Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not the cost; it's the value. I think that's what most people would argue.

If the internet connection fee is $30/m, and this covers the cost of an out of date and slow browser, access to only Slacker and internet radio, and all this at blazing 3G speeds (I recorded just under 400 kbps the other day), then it's a ripoff.

Wow, that is some slow 3G. I just ran a speedtest on my 3G equipped iPad2 here in Norway and got 5.91Mbit/s download speed. Netflix streams in great quality most places I go.

Ok. I can understand the "value" argument. It just seems that the response is out of proportion to the problem. Usually when someone makes a big deal about something that is rather minor, it's not about the thing that sets them off, it's something else. So what is everyone really upset about? Has Tesla done something that makes this fee seem to be part of a pattern of "nickle and diming" us? Would everyone be happy if the fee were for 4G or LTE instead?

I think part of it is the general -- not universal -- feeling that Tesla communicates poorly and has introduced one fee after another (the nickel and dime argument).

The other argument is that the $30 3G connection just isn't worth it.

Sent via Tapatalk.

I think part of it is the general -- not universal -- feeling that Tesla communicates poorly and has introduced one fee after another (the nickel and dime argument).

The other argument is that the $30 3G connection just isn't worth it.

Sent via Tapatalk.

They've always been clear that there would be a fee. Everyone lucked out with free service until they were able to negotiate a price with a carrier and announce it -- this looks more like 'passing the price on' than nickel and diming.

Another response would be 'well, it was great we had it free for awhile, but I don't think it's worth paying for so I won't'.

I agree with most sentiments here, but I'll save full outrage for official announcement and clarification on how tethering and the app will work with and without (even with tethering you're screwed on app usage unless you always leave the hotspot on in the car).

They've always been clear that there would be a fee. Everyone lucked out with free service until they were able to negotiate a price with a carrier and announce it -- this looks more like 'passing the price on' than nickel and diming.

Another response would be 'well, it was great we had it free for awhile, but I don't think it's worth paying for so I won't'.

You're saying nothing new, Bonnie. I'm sure only a few thought it would be free.

"Passing the price," "nickel and diming," "ripping us off" -- call it what you will.

Unfortunately, Tesla hasn't announced any plans to enable Wi-Fi. So, we have one option at this point: pay an unreasonable price for lackluster 3G performance with limited capability.

Sent via Tapatalk.

I agree with the general sentiment of this thread and hope Tesla wakes up and takes notice to this real or perceived nickel and dime'ing. Why not start charging for supercharging, at least it will provide a mechanism to control usage when they start to get congested. Better model to make back some money (bad for the current PR campaigns tho), if that is what they are trying to do.

I love the car and experience so far...please Tesla don't taint it.

even with tethering you're screwed on app usage unless you always leave the hotspot on in the car.

that's the idea. I used to use my wifi hotspot, but then after I got the iphone 5, I just tether my laptop to my phone now. my wifi hotspot is useless to me and I don't use it anymore, so I would prefer to leave it in the car always on. all problems solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: Perhaps I'm comparing apples to oranges (but I think not) --- if I paid $3750 for the tech package, and that includes seven years of map updates for FREE, and I elect not to pay $30/month for 3G, how is Tesla going to provide the free map updates to me at no cost to me?

__
It's not the cost; it's the value. I think that's what most people would argue.

If the internet connection fee is $30/m, and this covers the cost of an out of date and slow browser, access to only Slacker and internet radio, and all this at blazing 3G speeds (I recorded just under 400 kbps the other day), then it's a ripoff.

I'm also a little miffed that Tesla hasn't enabled my hard drive storage that I paid for as well as enabled Wi-Fi.

Sent via Tapatalk.

All great points. They are crazy to bring up a hint of monthly costs until they have a 4G LTE solution for the car. The 3G is more than a little ironic, given the technology builtr into this car. It would also be much smarter to incorporate a cost/sinking fund (i.e., upfront into the model S) that would enable Tesla to offer a free data connection for the life of the car.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VIN7403 | Ordered 12/24/12 | Finalized 02/21/13w\ Mar/April Estimate | Delivery 03/27-4/7

85kWhPerformance | Blue | Pano Roof | Tan Leather | Carbon Fiber Decor | 21" GreyWheels | Pano Roof | Tech Pkg | Sound Studio | Air Suspension | CF Spoiler |Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers | HPWC

There have been a lot of jumping to conclusions based on a temporary hidden post that may not turn out to be accurate. I prefer waiting a bit longer to see what official pricing is. But I would also agree that if it turns out to be $30/mo for 3G from ATT that is a poor value.

Of interest is that everyone assumes WiFi tethering will be free once it is enabled. That is not a foregone conclusion in my mind. Tesla could easily charge a "connectivity" fee for WiFi tethering.

There have been a lot of jumping to conclusions based on a temporary hidden post that may not turn out to be accurate. I prefer waiting a bit longer to see what official pricing is.

+1. I'm not going to react to a hidden placeholder. We got threads full of discussion on what might, or might not, be acceptable:

-Connectivity-service-plan-upgradability-speed
-Connectivity-Package
-Connectivity-WIFI-Hotspot
-Connectivity-When-will-WiFi-be-enabled-(for-Tethering-and-lack-of-3G-coverage)
-Connectivity-What-do-delivered-Production-cars-have-for-Wifi-and-3G-connectivity