Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor 3m Crystalline Window Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 3M Crystalline 70 installed on my windshield last week... sort of. The installer is very experienced in general and also with the tint and Teslas, though maybe not so much on a Model S windshield. The install left what he called ghosts on the windshield, basically wavy artifacts from the shrinking process done at the curves of the windshield. Can someone here comment if that is a factor of the product, installer experience/technique, the specific windshield, or some combination of factors? The installer took it off and did not charge me and is willing to try again with another technique (what he called wet vs dry shrinking technique). Or should I stay far away? The rest of my windows' tint are perfect. TIA for any advice.

Unfortunately it's impossible to give general or even a step by step procedure for 3M Crystalline Film, due to the Films characteristics. An installer needs training and experience to install the film correctly. Find an installer that knows how install it, and don't settle for less than perfect. 3M is using todays technology to create the state of the art Crystalline Heat and UV blocking highest Clarity Film. State of the Art Film on a State of the Art Automobile.

Reactions: markn455
To change the topic just slightly, does anyone know if putting 90% 3M film on the windshield blocks much heat? The specs for the film say it does, but that is probably all UV and IR. The windshield already has some kind of metallic coating which is supposed to block IR. Hence, adding film may not help much. I don't know quantitatively how much the windshield already blocks. Has anyone measured it or know the specs?

90% does not make sense where we are (California) anyway because our limit is 70%. Here are the links for reference - www.iwfa.com
http://www.iwfa.com/Portals/0/PDFDocs/Law_Charts/StateLawChart03.27.2015.pdf

3M Crystalline

And here is the chart for all 3M film. Take note of the "TSER" percentage between CR90 and CR70. 16% difference is noticeable. The difference between 90% and 70% is significant enough to use it solely just for the heat rejection benefits. No problems (legal or installation) with it on windshields here.

90% does not make sense where we are (California) anyway because our limit is 70%. Here are the links for reference - www.iwfa.com
http://www.iwfa.com/Portals/0/PDFDocs/Law_Charts/StateLawChart03.27.2015.pdf

3M Crystalline

And here is the chart for all 3M film. Take note of the "TSER" percentage between CR90 and CR70. 16% difference is noticeable. The difference between 90% and 70% is significant enough to use it solely just for the heat rejection benefits. No problems (legal or installation) with it on windshields here.

California allows 70% in the top four inches of the windshield. No tint is allowed lower down. I figured 90% would not be noticible over the whole windshield, even if it is not strictly legal. It is just not clear if that will block more heat than the windshield already does since that tint will mainly block IR and UV and the windshield already has a coating to block IR.

Hi all, I actually work with the 3M Window Film team and can answer a couple questions for you. The CR90 auto window film from the 3M Crystalline Series blocks 34% of total solar energy rejected (TSER). CR90 is the only clear (no tint) auto window film in the market place that will reject solar heat.

TSER is a part of solar properties which are calculated following recommended industry standard procedures (i.e. NFRC 200). Both IR rejection and UV rejection values are a part of the TSER value. The attached information provides a more in depth explanation of difference between IRR and TSER.

TSER vs IR.jpg

As for installation, we recommend using an authorized dealer who is trained specifically in Crystalline installation. You’ve noted some of the challenges, and our dealers are prepared to do it exactly as required. Feel free to reach out with additional questions.

• Informative
Premier AutoSports Plano is excited to be a part of the tesla community.
We offer only the best window tint for Tesla customers including 3M Crystalline.

3m Crystalline Window Tint
We are proud to offer the best window tint available!

• Reduces heat up to 60% and has 97% IR Rejection
  • Non metallized film means no signal interference
  • Blocks 99.9% UV rays= SPF 1000+ to protect interior and skin
  • Lifetime guarantee will never turn purple
  • Reduces Glare to improve driving at night
  • Skin Cancer Foundation recommended product
  • Light shades available to maintain vehicles original appearance

Premier AutoSports Plano
1504 N Central Expy
Plano TX 75074

• Informative
After doing some research now that I'm getting my car tinted, I found an interesting comparison between the Huper Optik nano-ceramic and the 3M Crystalline. Anyone care to comment? The product does seem to hold a premium in cost over the 3M stuff though.

As for heat rejection (yes, I realize this isn't versus the 3M product in question):

*I am in no way affiliated with any of these companies*

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
After doing some research now that I'm getting my car tinted, I found an interesting comparison between the Huper Optik nano-ceramic and the 3M Crystalline. Anyone care to comment? The product does seem to hold a premium in cost over the 3M stuff though.

As for heat rejection (yes, I realize this isn't versus the 3M product in question):

*I am in no way affiliated with any of these companies*

I have had Crystalline on multiple vehicles. 3m Crystalline does not do this..I think the video is pure BS.

Premier AutoSports Plano is excited to be a part of the tesla community.
We offer only the best window tint for Tesla customers including 3M Crystalline.

We are proud to offer the best window tint available!

• Reduces heat up to 60% and has 97% IR Rejection
  • Non metallized film means no signal interference
  • Blocks 99.9% UV rays= SPF 1000+ to protect interior and skin
  • Lifetime guarantee will never turn purple
  • Reduces Glare to improve driving at night
  • Skin Cancer Foundation recommended product
  • Light shades available to maintain vehicles original appearance

Premier AutoSports Plano
1504 N Central Expy
Plano TX 75074

Dear Tesla family - DO NOT get your car tinted here. In January of 2014 I took my (new at the time) Model S P85 there, and they scratched all the glass on the car...in some cases gouging it. They actually couldn't tint the windshield correctly and tried a second time and failed. They then refunded my money and a couple of months later, I went to a different tint shop that pointed out the damage to the car before they would tint my car. They said these scratches on the glass are easy to miss by an owner who wouldn't be looking for them, but they showed me how these scratches line up with how the tint was cut on the outside of the vehicle to shrink it. We took pictures and I tried to contact this company to have them correct the issue and they refused. My insurance company went after them as well, and they eventually decided not to take them to court. They are crooks and use very inexperienced installers to do the work on the car. I can prove my claims...I have a copy of the cancelled check and documentation of my claim.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
I had 3M Crystalline 70 installed on my windshield last week... sort of. The installer is very experienced in general and also with the tint and Teslas, though maybe not so much on a Model S windshield. The install left what he called ghosts on the windshield, basically wavy artifacts from the shrinking process done at the curves of the windshield. Can someone here comment if that is a factor of the product, installer experience/technique, the specific windshield, or some combination of factors? The installer took it off and did not charge me and is willing to try again with another technique (what he called wet vs dry shrinking technique). Or should I stay far away? The rest of my windows' tint are perfect. TIA for any advice.

My installer put it on the windshield and there might have been some "ghosts" on the windshield but hardly noticeable unless you just went looking for them. After the typical curing time, it's perfect. Can't even tell the tint is there. The Tesla MS windshield is not curved any more than any other car. I have had about 5-6 vehicles tinted over the years with Crystalline by two different installers in the Atlanta area. I have NEVER had a problem and never had a need for them to "redo" or take my cars back for any reason.

To change the topic just slightly, does anyone know if putting 90% 3M film on the windshield blocks much heat? The specs for the film say it does, but that is probably all UV and IR. The windshield already has some kind of metallic coating which is supposed to block IR. Hence, adding film may not help much. I don't know quantitatively how much the windshield already blocks. Has anyone measured it or know the specs?

I know this is an older post but folks are looking for this information regularly. The 90% is helpful but just looking at the 3M data sheet you can tell that it's not as effective. I have always used the 70% Crystalline on my windshield. It is still almost completely clear but is much more effective at blocking.

I Justin had 3M crystalline installed on my model s near Toronto Canada.
90 on windshield and 70 for the rest. I did not tint the roof. I am very pleased with the material and here is a significant reduction in heat subjectively. The 90 is pretty much clear and I won't call it a tint at all. The 70 is very light and only looks tinted if you look really hard at it. This film seems to be difficult to install and I had to go back another time to redo a couple windows. I am still waiting on my 2nd go around to see if some imperfections will go away as e film cures.