Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party Heads up Displays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving the M3 exclusively for three months I found the dashboard in our Atlas to be extremely distracting and noticed how often I had to take my eyes off the road to check speed.

You must have an aftermarket heads up display in your M3 then

And in the 3 you don't have to take your eyes off the road?

LoL right. The speedo is to the right and a bit down, not straight ahead.

Nope, not at all. It is in a very natural place.

I agree. The left side of the screen sits well within my peripheral vision. The digits are large and clear - they don't require any time to ponder or decipher. However, I would still like a proper HUD - reflected off the windshield, not a bolt on display mounted behind the steering wheel. I was surprised at this actually. Glancing through the wheel is more distracting than a near-eye level screen to me now.

Reactions: jfinephilly
Anyone try using the iOS AutoMate app? I only just got it, and It basically mimics the Tesla display. It has a HUD where you place your iPhone on the dash, presumably using velcro or similar to keep it from sliding, and it reflects off the windshield. You can invert the digits so that the phone faces you, while reflecting the image correctly. It also seems to combine nav from your iPhone's Map with supercharger locations. Controls all your car functions, lock/unlock, start, etc.

Has a very nice AppleWatch complication. Best is that it's only 99cents a year.

I got it for the AppleWatch complication, but there's also a data page, which basically shows you all the info from the APIs. Shows both SOC numbers. The SOC %age the car uses, and the SOC %age that 3rd party apps seem to like. They're different! Literally 100s of APIs to look over.

I'm not planning on using the HUD, but I can see how the whole Tesla display mimicking can be useful when some people have lost their displays. This app can basically replace all of that functionality. Of course, you don't get any jiggling vehicles, or stoplights, etc., but a little reassuring that you have a backup display if the car's craps out.

Here are 3 screenshots I took the other day, mashed side-by-side:
Screenshot 2020-02-20 21.03.04.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Dan84 and jpfive
If you drive at the same speed as the cars around you, who cares what the speed is? If you are out by yourself, drive at a comfortable speed. Only time I look at my speed is in school zones. You don't go exactly 60 in a 60 zone do you?

Whatever floats your boat.

Personally, my body shape has always meant that in a comfortable seating and steering wheel position, the top of the wheel has been cutting off the top of the binnacle, this has been really apparent to me when I've had to have loan cars recently, so I love the position of the screen in the Model 3

I've never found having to look slightly to the side distracting, a hud seems like real overkill and would clutter that wonderful minimalism.

Reactions: neptunesfinest
I still have my aftermarket HUD placed on my dash but don't use it often (on a switch). Only valuable when I'm driving aggressively and don't want to take my eyes off the road, while watching my top speed.

View attachment 542413

Is this exactly how it looks "live" too? I mean, from the pic the writing seems doubled or not quite clear and sharp.

If this is the case, then I wonder how to OEM HUDs make them look so good...

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Is this exactly how it looks "live" too? I mean, from the pic the writing seems doubled or not quite clear and sharp.

If this is the case, then I wonder how to OEM HUDs make them look so good...

If you add a reflective screen it will make the image much better and reduce doubling, my install is reflecting on unmodified windshield. Factory installed HUDs have a reflective screen embedded into the windshield and are less intrusive.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and cucubits
Whatever floats your boat.

Personally, my body shape has always meant that in a comfortable seating and steering wheel position, the top of the wheel has been cutting off the top of the binnacle, this has been really apparent to me when I've had to have loan cars recently, so I love the position of the screen in the Model 3

I've never found having to look slightly to the side distracting, a hud seems like real overkill and would clutter that wonderful minimalism.
Couldn’t agree more. The placement is WAY better for me in the 3 than any other car I’ve driven. It’s obvious to me that Tesla doesn’t offer it because it would be truly redundant, which is the opposite of the overall interior design intent.