Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4% Cash back for Supercharging! Costco Visa card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been messaging both Costco and Citi the card servicer for Costco all this year and just noticed the change. Before it was 4% cash back on Gasoline only. I kept kindly requesting for them to include EV charging since I and others are switching.

WOOHOO!

"Earn 4% cash back on eligible gas and electric vehicle (EV) charging purchases worldwide, including gas and EV charging at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter"

Attachments

• Screen_Capture_-_Sep_1__1_17_PM.png
    Screen_Capture_-_Sep_1__1_17_PM.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,563
I've been messaging both Costco and Citi the card servicer for Costco all this year and just noticed the change. Before it was 4% cash back on Gasoline only. I kept kindly requesting for them to include EV charging since I and others are switching.

WOOHOO!

"Earn 4% cash back on eligible gas and electric vehicle (EV) charging purchases worldwide, including gas and EV charging at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter"
Great, but the 4% is only for EV chargers located at Costco:

4% cash back on eligible gas and electric vehicle (EV) charging purchases worldwide,
including gas and EV charging at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year in gas and/or
EV charging purchases, and then 1% thereafter.
Certain Non-Qualifying Purchases. You will only earn 1% cash back, not 4%, for gas
or EV charging purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores,
and warehouse clubs other than Costco, or for fuel used for non-automobile purposes.
Note: I could not find a list of EV chargers, when searching on Google Map, only Costco Gas stations did pop up.

Last edited:
Great, but the 4% is only for EV chargers located at Costco:

4% cash back on eligible gas and electric vehicle (EV) charging purchases worldwide,
including gas and EV charging at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year in gas and/or
EV charging purchases, and then 1% thereafter.
Certain Non-Qualifying Purchases. You will only earn 1% cash back, not 4%, for gas
or EV charging purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores,
and warehouse clubs other than Costco, or for fuel used for non-automobile purposes.
Note: I could not find a list of EV chargers, when searching on Google Map, only Costco Gas stations did pop up.
While yes strange to say "including ev charging at costco" (are there costco locations with costco branded chargers?) it will work at other locations just like 4% gasoline at non costco pumps. It can’t be a walmart or kroger gas station/ev charger for example because they are coded as the non qualifying locations. It says "including Costco" because Costco is coded as a warehouse club and those are otherwise excluded as you pointed out. So stand alone chargers should be fine. I'll be happy to report back with screenshots in a month. Because if not true then the change is pointless...

Earn 4% cash back on eligible gas and electric vehicle (EV) charging purchases worldwide, including gas and EV charging at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter"

• Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4

WOOHOO!

Interesting. My Costco/Citi rewards screen does not include the EV charging info; only gas:( Are you a special member?;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 8.37.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 8.37.13 PM.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 666

WOOHOO!

While I'm glad to see Costco jump on this bandwagon, I can't stop using my m1 owner's rewards visa from m1 finance, because it pays me back 10% cash back for spend at Tesla. This includes not just supercharging, but also insurance, buys at the online shop and service costs. -Will

Per the details at their web site: The Owner's Rewards Card by M1
  • 2.5, 5 or 10% cash back with select brands you hold in your portfolio; 1.5% on everything else
  • Maximum $200 cash back per calendar month
  • Trust or custodial accounts not eligible to qualify for rewards
  • $95 annual fee
Well that sounds nice except the annual fee and the $2400/year cap. Costco caps 4% cash back on gas/ev at $7000 at which point it drops to 1%. But if you have the M1 card for something I suppose it is nice.

Reactions: outdoors
Have my first update to report. Oct 7th statement has hit showing rewards for this period = $2.14 in "eligible gas worldwide including gas at Costco".
I had $0 in "Gasoline" purchases.
My supercharging totaled $53.46. x 4% $2.1384.
The spend category tag on each supercharger transaction says :
Vehicle Services - Electric Vehicle Charging

So it seems to be working on my account. Hopefully everyone's account can soon get the same updates!

Attachments

• Screen_Capture_-_Oct_10__8_28_AM.png
    Screen_Capture_-_Oct_10__8_28_AM.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 603
Anyone know if the 4% cash back is eligible at ChargePoint stations?
Per their "fine print": (bold italics mine)
  • 4% cash back on eligible gas and EV charging purchases worldwide, including gas and EV charging at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year in gas and EV charging purchases and then 1% thereafter
    • Certain Non-Qualifying Purchases. You will only earn 1% cash back, not 4% for gas and EV charging purchases made at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco or for fuel used for non-automobile purchases
So, if I read this correctly, no, you'll only get 1% for ChargePoint usage. Oh, and if it isn't clear from earlier posts about the Costco Visa credit card, cash back is issued as a reward certificate which can be redeemed for cash OR merchandise at Costco Warehouses and is good for about 11 months (February billing statment to end of year).

ref: Costco Anywhere Card Cash Back Reward - Citi.com (click on "Pricing and additional information about the Costco Cash Reward Program" link for full details).

• 4% cash back on eligible gas and EV charging purchases worldwide, including gas and EV charging at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year in gas and EV charging purchases and then 1% thereafter
    • Certain Non-Qualifying Purchases. You will only earn 1% cash back, not 4% for gas and EV charging purchases made at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco or for fuel used for non-automobile purchases
So, if I read this correctly, no, you'll only get 1% for ChargePoint usage.
How do you figure? Is ChargePoint not an EV Charging purchase?

I don't see how Tesla Supercharging would be 4% and ChargePoint would be 1%...

How do you figure? Is ChargePoint not an EV Charging purchase?

I don't see how Tesla Supercharging would be 4% and ChargePoint would be 1%...
Sorry, I did not read @An Introvert post from 10/10/22 where they say that Supercharging costs were rewarded 4%. Extrapolated, then it would appear that ChargePoint costs should also be included in the program, since "Yes" they are an EV charging purchase. I suppose it all hinges upon what Costco says are "eligible EV charging purchases".

So, if for example, a ChargePoint station is located in the parking lot of a Fred Meyer (a supermarket or superstore, depending upon the footprint I guess), would it be covered at 4%? Reading Costco's statement, it says that an EV charging purchase at a superstore would be a 1% cash back action if it's NOT at a Costco.

@An Introvert Where did you Supercharge? Was it at a non-supermarket, non-superstore, non-membership warehouse?

So, if for example, a ChargePoint station is located in the parking lot of a Fred Meyer (a supermarket or superstore, depending upon the footprint I guess), would it be covered at 4%? Reading Costco's statement, it says that an EV charging purchase at a superstore would be a 1% cash back action if it's NOT at a Costco.
But ChargePoint/EA is likely never considered a superstore, regardless of where it is located.

If Fred Meyer/Kroger/Walmart offered EV charging themselves, that would probably be at 1%.

Had to look this up!! My 4% cash back was almost $11 this past month and I didn’t put ~$275 in gas. We did take a road trip and Tesla supercharged and also ChargePoint at work and other 3rd party around town. Glad to get 4% not just on gas I fill up every 2-3 months. Can confirm, math checked out on recent statement

Reactions: phaheem
I understand this fine print to mean that ChargePoint stations are eligible for 4% cash back because it is a “worldwide EV charging purchase.” The language “including gas and EV charging at Costco” means that those places are also eligible for 4% cash back.

The 1% “non-qualifying” applies to chargers at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores, and other non-Costco warehouse clubs.

and as @hakobkara posted above, looks like ChargePoint does get 4% back