Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 year old Model S: what does the future hold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 Model S 85 with 120K miles. It still drives like brand new. I recently had the charge port replaced ($500) and did the Evan light upgrade ($2,000). I bought an Evannex center console ($100?) and the Tesla roof rack ($550). I had the rear facing seats installed for around $2,500. The motor was replaced under warranty at around 40K miles. I am on my fourth set of tires (currently Yokohama). I would never purchase an extended warranty for any car. I love this car - it is still my dream car...

Brent

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
assuming they don't require hardware that wasn't on the early cars.(like the Chill mode).

Chill mode requires no AP hardware at all, it's purely an acceleration profile like Loaner mode or Performance mode or Valet mode... that omission as a dependency on unrelated AP hardware tells us our cars are already abandoned and gives us a general timeline of how long Tesla will support a car before it starts seeing intentional but unnecessary exclusions.

We have a December 2014 build. Has 80,000 miles on it now. I did have to have the steering replaced not under warranty, but that's because the previous owner had had a moderate wreck with it. It works great now! We will have to replace one paddle gear in a door handle. But other than that it's been amazingly trouble free.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
We've had one of the early Model S cars (VIN 3xxx) for 5 years and over 90K miles.

Compared to ICEs we've owned, the S P85 is still in relatively new condition. We've lost a few % of range, and the exterior has picked up a few dings - other than that, the car is still in excellent shape - much better than any of the ICEs I've owned with high mileage.

Because there are fewer moving parts in a Model S compared to an ICE, and with the surprisingly small amount of range loss, we could keep this car much longer without major concerns.

And with the 8 year, unlimited mileage, warranty on the battery and motor, the car has another 3 years of protection on the most expensive components.

The biggest issue with the older cars is the lack of the new EAP/FSD hardware. Which is a major reason why we'll be configuring our Model 3 (as soon as the white interior is available).

With our S 100D (delivered March last year) and our new Model 3, we expect to keep both cars for quite a while (which is why we purchase the extra 5 year/50K mile extended warranty).

• Disagree
Reactions: icanmakeit
My May 2013 build S60 is just shy of 83k miles. Bought it new and it was delivered on June 4 2013. VIN is in the 11,1XX range.

I have to say, overall its been phenomenal. It had a couple early build quality or shipment issues (like a chip in the interior rear view mirror glass and the alignment being off) that were handled by service early on. Here's a summary of what work has been performed that would be considered warranty work -- all but the last 2 were in the first 15 months of ownership:
  • Main charger died on day 9; replaced same day
  • Drive unit replaced at ~9 months. Service noticed a whine when it was in for scheduled service and did this replacement a few weeks later. I didn't notice it, and the DU never "failed" -- this was a preventative replacement. Interestingly, the 2nd drive unit is averaging 10Wh/mile less than the original (I log stats monthly and anytime it goes in for service)
  • Charge port door replaced -- the magnet in the door came out and door wouldn't stay closed. ~9 months
  • Pano roof rails were replaced at ~1 year. Roof was not closing all the way on one side (likely a build quality issue)
  • Brake lines replaced going to one tire -- there was a TSB requiring inspection and re-alignment of brake lines and I had one showing wear from rubbing a tire, so it was replaced and re-routed slightly. This was at ~14 months.
  • Charge port replaced 2x -- right about year 3 and again a year later. The first time, the LEDs had failed and I was getting odd colors; the 2nd time was due to the magnet not releasing (I had to help pull it away to open the door).
  • TPMS sensors and receiver replaced just after 4.5 years. Tesla installed the updated system, so I now have tire pressure readings on the dash.
Other than that, I've had to replace the windshield twice -- but that goes with living in Arizona (rock chips are way too common)… Its on its 3rd set of tires now (plus 2 replacements due to punctures -- one was ironically punctured by an Energizer AA battery). We also had to have the drivers side rear fender panel painted and rear bumper cover replaced after we hit something on a road trip -- the object was thrown by the rear tire into the edge of the bumper cover, putting a 1 inch slice in the plastic; it also hit the aluminum fender panel right where it meets the bumper cover behind the wheel well -- no damage to the aluminum, but it cracked the paint, hence the re-spray. Pretty flukey "accident".

This car has held up well. Nearly no rattles (had an occasional one that Service fixed -- was a loose harness under the dash; and I sometimes have one from one of the rear seat latches, but re-closing that seat fixes it). I've managed to keep it mostly ding-free -- we had a plastic stool fall in the garage, and it left a small ding on the top of the passenger front fender, right near the hood, and I somehow managed to get a small ding on the metal frame surrounding the big screen.

Range is holding up well, with <10% degredation -- 100% charge was 208 RM when new, and I now get 190. 90% charge is now 169-171, vs ~185 when new (I never saw 187…). The range has been fine, and we've done several road trips, including 4 that were between 2000-4500 miles each -- mostly Supercharger enabled, but we've had sections off the Supercharger highway and were fine with some planing ahead (RV parks come in handy in remote places). Lifetime average of 289 Wh/Mi.

I'm most likely replacing this with a Model 3 later this year. Just waiting for the D to be released and hoping a tan interior comes soon...

Last edited:
I have a P85+ 2014 with 70k miles - car has had some issues but most were resolved by the service center under warranty (but the car CPO at around 20k miles):

1- 3 (all different doors) Door handle's were replaced
2- The parking brake was replaced as it was giving me an error - don't know if it was a mechanical or computer problem but they didn't take any chances.
3- The secondary latch for the hood was replaced
4- The DU was replaced at around 30k
5- They also replaced the heating pump (or however you call that - the thing that heats the car!) at around 40k

At first I was worried about the reliability but things have been calm in the last year of ownership (no reparations) so I think that the long term costs will be reasonable. In any case, it will never cost me as much in reparations as running an ICE - the gas here in Montreal is expensive! My warranty is finishing next month and I plan on keeping the car unless they give me a good deal on a P85D/P90D.

Chill mode requires no AP hardware at all, it's purely an acceleration profile like Loaner mode or Performance mode or Valet mode... that omission as a dependency on unrelated AP hardware tells us our cars are already abandoned and gives us a general timeline of how long Tesla will support a car before it starts seeing intentional but unnecessary exclusions.

Chill mode requires ESP2, which is in general only on the AP cars (although perhaps there were some cars that got it before the full AP suite came out)

Early 2014 with 75k miles. Didn't get the extended warranty and have not had any issues out of warranty other than a TPMS sensor going out, but haven't bothered to replace it yet. Last summer (June 2017) I took it on a 6000 mile trip without issue. Oddly I still have all four original door handles and (brace yourself) the original 12v battery. I do expect door handle issues at some point from everything I've read, but they are all still perfect at the moment. I don't plan to sell this car for a long time and will just deal with whatever the repair costs are going forward.

From the road trip:
2018-02-05_8-44-45.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that's crazy, especially the 12v!

Yeah, the 12v was my primary worry on that long trip but still holding strong. The car did have small issues in the first couple of years that were covered under warranty, including replacing the drive unit for the noise issue (well I guess that's a big issue). Edited earlier post since it wasn't clear I was talking about after 50k warranty there have been no issues.

Last edited:
Early 2014 with 75k miles. Didn't get the extended warranty and have not had any issues other than a TPMS sensor going out, but haven't bothered to replace it yet. Last summer (June 2017) I took it on a 6000 mile trip without issue. Oddly I still have all four original door handles and (brace yourself) the original 12v battery. I do expect door handle issues at some point from everything I've read, but they are all still perfect at the moment. I don't plan to sell this car for a long time and will just deal with whatever the repair costs are going forward.

From the road trip:
View attachment 278215
I sold my '13 at 4.5 years. The car never left me stranded although Tesla did replace 2 DUs. I just decided that there were enough new features in the newer models that it was worth the cost of upgrading. Very happy with the decision although I loved that green machine and drove it all over the country. Including this beautiful drive:

Tesla_MonumentValley.png

I sold my '13 at 4.5 years. The car never left me stranded although Tesla did replace 2 DUs. I just decided that there were enough new features in the newer models that it was worth the cost of upgrading. Very happy with the decision although I loved that green machine and drove it all over the country. Including this beautiful drive:

View attachment 278216
I thought that picture looked familiar, lol. About 20-30 minutes down the road from where I took the one above. I also took a pic of those formations on that same trip from the other direction. (It's actually a frame capture from a gopro that I just held up and blindly recorded some short video clips with)

2018-02-05_11-09-15.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Sparky
I have 5 years and 104k miles on my 2013 Model S 60. The car has never left me stranded.

I opted not to buy the $4,000 extended warranty for my 2013 Model S, primarily due to high milage so would hit 100k at less than 5 years. I also did not pay the prepay service agreement opting instead to change my own wiper blades and key fob battery. Had a $600 "annual" service once primarily to get new brake fluid and battery coolant.

Warranty repairs (first 50k miles) were:
Drive unit failure (very early on threw intermittent faults and was replaced)
Door handle (number 1 of 3)
Windshield crack
Pano roof seal
12v Battery (1 of 2)
Various other small bits that were done by service when in for other work

Here is my out of pocket repair costs that I had after 50k miles:
2nd 12v Battery replaced $195.07
2nd Door Handle replaced by Tesla $895.74
3rd door handle replaced (by me DIY) for $1 part cost (plus about 4 hours of my labor)!
L front suspension Control Arm $235.60
Touchscreen bubbles $983 (parts only, labor was goodwilled)
MCU failure at 95 k miles $2,535 (lost many key touchscreen functions such as HVAC, odometer but car still drove and charged fine)
Roof rack cover latch broken $17.50

Grand total $4,862.91
Since each of those repairs would have also had a $200 deductible, that would have been another $1,200 on top of the $4,000 warranty cost. So I came out ahead by $5,200-$4,862.91 = $337.09

More than 165k Tesla miles over the last 8.5 years (we have had two of them for the last 5.5). Never stranded. A few issues (all ones well-known on early cars; most not common on current cars) but few enough that extended warranties have not been worth the money.

I took delivery in January of 2013 as well (also Green like yours Zarwin), and i'm up to 106,000 miles with no real issues after a shaky start (two weeks of in and out of repair, turned out to be a battery connector issue from the factory - #earlymodel). Funny though i just popped a 12volt battery warning, so i came here to research that and found this post. My plan is to keep it as long as possible, warts and all it represents one of the earliest run of cars and i'd like to keep going to see what the practical life of an EV really is.

I took delivery in January of 2013 as well (also Green like yours Zarwin), and i'm up to 106,000 miles with no real issues after a shaky start (two weeks of in and out of repair, turned out to be a battery connector issue from the factory - #earlymodel). Funny though i just popped a 12volt battery warning, so i came here to research that and found this post. My plan is to keep it as long as possible, warts and all it represents one of the earliest run of cars and i'd like to keep going to see what the practical life of an EV really is.
Funny. I view mine exactly the same way. So far I have little battery degradation and I really want to see how long it will last.

Reactions: David29