Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 year old Model S: what does the future hold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ve been through Monument Valley twice in my S60...
AE6BBB56-C2D8-469B-9361-FC09D51E768B.jpeg

Purchased a 2013 CPO June of 2016, since then car has been great but has had the following issues... currently at 62K miles.

Dec 2, 2017: MCU was replaced for lost connectivity to LTE. Warranty work.
Feb 8, 2018: MCU is being replaced again today, due to Navigation malfunction under warranty. The two MCU replacements out of warranty would have been $2500 each.

The driver side door handle was replaced by a Ranger but wasn't installed correctly. As I approached the car, every so often would present and retract immediately.

Airbag recall is being taken care of while the car is at the SC.

The MCU seems to be prone to issues, which worries me. Other than these issue, love the car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: P85Dave and David29
I have 5 years and 104k miles on my 2013 Model S 60. The car has never left me stranded.

I opted not to buy the $4,000 extended warranty for my 2013 Model S, primarily due to high milage so would hit 100k at less than 5 years. I also did not pay the prepay service agreement opting instead to change my own wiper blades and key fob battery. Had a $600 "annual" service once primarily to get new brake fluid and battery coolant.

Warranty repairs (first 50k miles) were:
Drive unit failure (very early on threw intermittent faults and was replaced)
Door handle (number 1 of 3)
Windshield crack
Pano roof seal
12v Battery (1 of 2)
Various other small bits that were done by service when in for other work

Here is my out of pocket repair costs that I had after 50k miles:
2nd 12v Battery replaced $195.07
2nd Door Handle replaced by Tesla $895.74
3rd door handle replaced (by me DIY) for $1 part cost (plus about 4 hours of my labor)!
L front suspension Control Arm $235.60
Touchscreen bubbles $983 (parts only, labor was goodwilled)
MCU failure at 95 k miles $2,535 (lost many key touchscreen functions such as HVAC, odometer but car still drove and charged fine)
Roof rack cover latch broken $17.50

Grand total $4,862.91
Since each of those repairs would have also had a $200 deductible, that would have been another $1,200 on top of the $4,000 warranty cost. So I came out ahead by $5,200-$4,862.91 = $337.09

Nice. Same for me.

I have 100k miles now. Similar warranty items

MCU failed at about 90K. $2500

LOVE the car.

Didn’t buy the warranty either.

Reactions: DFibRL8R
the new MCU...did it come with a few months or a year of warranty?

If I keep the car will have to create my own warranty plan and set aside $5K for MCU, door handles, window regulator etc. May not keep it past the battery and DU warranty expiration.

If I trade it in for a 3 before the Fed tax credit expires, the tax credit won't offset the depreciation on the traded S and for the 3LR.

Last edited:
So, in general appears that most folks did NOT buy the extended warranty and have come out net positive. I bought an extended warranty for my MB truck to cover until 70K and most issues started right after it ended :) Not waiting eagerly to replace that SUV with an MS. Leaning towards not getting the warranty for now. Plan to decide on it later...

We got the warranty and we are glad se did. I’ll have to do a summary of all that it covered up to now. We are at 149000 km on a dec 2013 purchase of an S85. Definetely worth it for us. It’s the law of averages at work ;-)). We still love the car as much as the first day.

Delivered Sept 2013, 117 k miles. Had a lot of the typical warranty repairs: a few drive units, probably all door handles (some more than once), coolant pumps replace/upgraded, charge port door button fell off, UMC replaced (2x?), insect inside taillight.

I did not purchase "extended service agreement." Out of warranty, broken bolts in power steering Power Steering falling apart, parking brake pads separated from backing, service brake pads fused to calipers, 12V battery warning, broken wiper transmission (accidental use with heavy snow). Replaced/repaired all this stuff myself.
Also had an issue post-50k miles with drive unit making noise, was replaced but also had worn hub/axle splines. Spent about 2500 on that.

Keeping it for the long haul, I'm so spoiled driving this thing. A 2013 with over 100k miles, no tech package (no regrets); I doubt I'd get much in trade. No interest in trading up. Besides, they don't come in green anymore. I noticed several of the older cars posted in this thread are the green, I don't think people want to give them up!

• Informative
Reactions: David29
So, in general appears that most folks did NOT buy the extended warranty and have come out net positive. I bought an extended warranty for my MB truck to cover until 70K and most issues started right after it ended :) Not waiting eagerly to replace that SUV with an MS. Leaning towards not getting the warranty for now. Plan to decide on it later...

Don't be so sure about the net positive assertion until you actually sell the car.

If you buy the warranty you will likely have a much easier time selling your car than selling it out of warranty. This is one of the primary reasons for us buying the ESA. We figured in addition to having the peace of mind in knowing any repairs will be covered we will likely recoup most of what we paid for the ESA when we sell the car as we can then sell the car with warranty coverage almost as long as a CPO car.

Unless you drive a ton of miles to exceed the ESA mileage, IMHO the ESA is a no-brainier, if you plan to sell the car while the ESA is in effect as that will make it much easier to sell.

Don't be so sure about the net positive assertion until you actually sell the car.

If you buy the warranty you will likely have a much easier time selling your car than selling it out of warranty. This is one of the primary reasons for us buying the ESA. We figured in addition to having the peace of mind in knowing any repairs will be covered we will likely recoup most of what we paid for the ESA when we sell the car as we can then sell the car with warranty coverage almost as long as a CPO car.

Unless you drive a ton of miles to exceed the ESA mileage, IMHO the ESA is a no-brainier, if you plan to sell the car while the ESA is in effect as that will make it much easier to sell.

You make a fair point. Either ways, I have until 6 months of taking the delivery to lock in the ESA...

You make a fair point. Either ways, I have until 6 months of taking the delivery to lock in the ESA...
Did they change that rule? I remember you could purchase the ESA until 30 days after the warranty expired. So if you didn't hit 50k miles, you could still get it at month 49. Of course I hit 50k after the end of year 2; I wondered how they count 30 days after that.

I think we should expect/demand Tesla to make parts available and also the service manuals available to all. Tesla should aid in helping to make older used vehicles trickle out to the masses.

An older used Tesla has the same usefulness to the environment as a new one when it replaces ICE. There is no good reason for these cars to be scrapped in a relatively short time because of these existing shortcomings. It would also help with older car evaluations and value.