Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 minute charging maximum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D6243F98-0747-480A-B32B-8B9DB48BF430.jpeg
I have not been to many Superchargers and I’m sure this is a holiday thing but I’m at Atascadero right now and they have this sign up, seems like everyone charged earlier because I’m by myself right now, I’m bored so I posted this

I was at the supercharger at the Madonna Inn in SLO, and the sign was there. It was a popular spot, but no lines... and the 40 minute limit wasn't enforced (I had to charge for 50 minutes, but I made sure I wasn't being a hog!) . I took a trip up to SF and saw the 40 minute limit sign frequently, though not at every stop.

However later when I was in Hawthorne, the supercharger near the mall had a line of at least 4 cars. So I swooped over to the SpaceX HQ and charged up there instead. :) Neither of the Hawthorne stations had the sign, though.

• Informative
Reactions: Donz_S
I was at the supercharger at the Madonna Inn in SLO, and the sign was there. It was a popular spot, but no lines... and the 40 minute limit wasn't enforced (I had to charge for 50 minutes, but I made sure I wasn't being a hog!) . I took a trip up to SF and saw the 40 minute limit sign frequently, though not at every stop.

However later when I was in Hawthorne, the supercharger near the mall had a line of at least 4 cars. So I swooped over to the SpaceX HQ and charged up there instead. :) Neither of the Hawthorne stations had the sign, though.

Do you mean Fox Hills (Westfield) mall in Culver City? There's always a line there. In the South Bay, we just have SpaceX and the Hilton in Redondo.

Part of the issue here is folks waiting for full charges when it's really unnecessary. 40 minutes will net you a minimum of 150 miles if you don't start your charging at 60% SOC. I usually stop charging at 40 mins because I'll drop from 93Kw to about 45Kw and that's just too slow. I'll be above 200 mile mark which is well within proximity of the other charging options.

Yes there is a capacity issue and there is also an "I'm going to charge to 90% at every stop" issue. It's just not necessary to do that and it clogs up the stations.

If there's no one waiting, sure charge to 100%. If there's a line, limit your time.

Sign is useless without enforcement. The supercharger should automatically switch to idle fees after 40mins.
I think this is more along the lines of a courtesy announcement. If others are waiting, best to move along and let someone else charge.
After 40 minutes, most cars are down to a very low charge rate and fairly high state of charge so it should not be a handicap.
I think most Tesla owners are considerate and will follow this recommendation.
No need to shut off the charger if no one is waiting.

I was at Atascadero this week and the lines were huge... I didn't see the sign so perhaps they put them up once they started noticing the big lines. I did see this sign at San Luis Obispo (Madonna Inn) but it was behind all the chargers out of site.

I don't get why people would sit there for a long time waiting for 100%.... isn't that last 10-20% like 40 minutes? I would rather stop twice at chargers a shorter amount of time than fill up at one.

I was at Atascadero this week and the lines were huge... I didn't see the sign so perhaps they put them up once they started noticing the big lines. I did see this sign at San Luis Obispo (Madonna Inn) but it was behind all the chargers out of site.

I don't get why people would sit there for a long time waiting for 100%.... isn't that last 10-20% like 40 minutes? I would rather stop twice at chargers a shorter amount of time than fill up at one.
In 30 minutes I add about 42 kwh of juice or at least 150 real world miles of frwy. traveling or 177 range rated miles, only time I add more is if i'm in a nearby restaurant eating or if the next stop is further than I can make, 20% to 80% on the 3 is fast (30minutes) but the last 20% will take even longer than that, when you arrive at 20% or just under you can have an average of 80 to 85 kw charging speeds for the entire charge when only going to 80%

Reactions: Donz_S and djlott
View attachment 354985 I have not been to many Superchargers and I’m sure this is a holiday thing but I’m at Atascadero right now and they have this sign up, seems like everyone charged earlier because I’m by myself right now, I’m bored so I posted this
Yes, this sign was noted in the Atascadero Supercharger thread at Supercharger - Atascadero

It is something new. This week is an extremely busy travel week and I believe this sign is an attempt by Tesla to remind people to please move their cars as soon as they are done charging. Many charging sessions are less than 40 minutes.

They only had these signs inside city areas where most Tesla owners lived. I was at the one near Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo and 40 min charging was all it was needed to get around for the city for a day. I took the last spot, but cars were coming and going so there wasn't any lines. Also, Foster City Supercharger was nearby and on the NAV it showed 4 open spots.

I didn't run into any wait at Superchargers. Just a lot of times where I took the last spot. Once again cars were coming and going so there wasn't any lines. This will be an issue next year when more Teslas are on the road and if no additional Supercharger are built in dense areas like SF and LA.

What was surprising was there wasn't any chargers inside San Francisco city. I had to go South to Daly City to charge and then head back up North. Hotel didn't have a working charger. My mom was ticked that we had to go out of the way to charge and then loop back into the city. Also on a side note, Telsa NAV is horrible, it routed us through some crazy streets and turns. My mom's route was straight forward since she lived there and knows way easier streets to get around. I was driving so I didn't take a picture, but NAV had like 20 turns. My mom's route was 4 turns without any traffic.