Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

400 kW Tesla Charging via Chargepoint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know we are calculating whether the 400kW charger will work with Tesla, but, unless I am mistaken, no present car can handle 400kW, so isn't this announcement by ChargePoint putting the cart before the horse? I just can't imagine hooking a Nissan Leaf up to this thing :eek:

I am mistaken, no present car can handle 400kW, so isn't this announcement by ChargePoint putting the cart before the horse?

Could also call it future-proofing, and a huge step in the right direction. Instead of installing more 24kW CCS and CHAdeMO (already obsolete/near useless) they are instead looking toward making useful infrastructure.

The Model 3 may come with SC V3 support (whatever that means, though it does appear to mean more than 350kW).

Seems unlikely Tesla would introduce Model 3 with SC V3 without also announcing availability for S/X, otherwise they'd risk depressing their S/X sales - which they still want to maintain - lower volume, higher margin sales.

SC V3 will likely require changes in the battery pack and supercharger hardware - and if it needs a new battery pack, that would likely be with the new 2170 batteries (the P100D battery pack is the limit of what can built in that form factor, and is evidently more complex - we still haven't had a 100D announcement, more than 3 months after P100D was introduced).

Unless Tesla announces a 100D soon (using the P100D battery packs), Tesla could wait a few more months - and introduce the S/X 100D with a 2170/100 battery pack that also had support for SC V3 - and do that no later than when Model 3 is released.

Maybe we'll hear something at or around the Model 3 Part 3 reveal...

Reactions: Falkirk
The Model 3 may come with SC V3 support (whatever that means, though it does appear to mean more than 350kW).

Seems unlikely Tesla would introduce Model 3 with SC V3 without also announcing availability for S/X, otherwise they'd risk depressing their S/X sales - which they still want to maintain - lower volume, higher margin sales.

SC V3 will likely require changes in the battery pack and supercharger hardware - and if it needs a new battery pack, that would likely be with the new 2170 batteries (the P100D battery pack is the limit of what can built in that form factor, and is evidently more complex - we still haven't had a 100D announcement, more than 3 months after P100D was introduced).

Unless Tesla announces a 100D soon (using the P100D battery packs), Tesla could wait a few more months - and introduce the S/X 100D with a 2170/100 battery pack that also had support for SC V3 - and do that no later than when Model 3 is released.

Maybe we'll hear something at or around the Model 3 Part 3 reveal...

I'm really hoping the S/X get 2170 cells and supercharger V3 capability within the next few months. Really curious how they'll tackle this issue considering 2170 cells will be pushed to the Model 3 first over the next several months

The charge point engineer said they have water cooled cables because they would melt otherwise!

That PDF from Phoenix Contact (the guys that actually build the liquid cooled CCS plug) still give it a duty cycle limitation above 350 amps.

The current not liquid cooled Tesla plug operates at 365 amps today (at thousands of plugs around the world).

Chargepoint mysteriously shows a Tesla handle in their own charger in new promo video

Interesting. Hopefully they are going to partner with Tesla on Superchargers!
I forgot to look at my state of charge when leaving work today, and had the long commute to San Francisco from Aptos to return from, and ended up looking down and seeing that I was going to run out, after I had already selected 280 as my route. Not wanting to backtrack onto a horrid corridor, I went ahead and forged to the closest Chademo Fast DC charger on my route, the ChargePoint HQ in Campbell. While waiting in line for a Chademo (since they have one combo station for combo CCS + Chademo and one CCS only), I was approached by one ChargePoint person who told me some of their plans.

He said Tesla had not cooperated with a lot of things (I took this to mean DC fast charging without converter) in the past, but that they would allow ChargePoint to have a 3 cord fast charger setup that can plug directly into a Tesla. It's going to have Chademo, CCS and Tesla fast DC charging, from what he described.

He also said they are going to install one more Chademo soon. I welcome that, obviously, since I was waiting for the machine that had the Chademo on it, and didn't know how long I had to wait. Fortunately, I didn't have to wait long.

... I was approached by one ChargePoint person who told me some of their plans.

He said Tesla had not cooperated with a lot of things (I took this to mean DC fast charging without converter) in the past, but that they would allow ChargePoint to have a 3 cord fast charger setup that can plug directly into a Tesla. It's going to have Chademo, CCS and Tesla fast DC charging, from what he described.
In other discussion about the new ChargePoint Express Plus system, I concluded that it was only logical that Tesla cooperate with ChargePoint to allow their chargers to function as direct DC stations with a Tesla connector, so they could function just like a Supercharger. At those power levels, it's just not practical to use an adapter. I'm glad that this will become a reality. There's just no good reason for Tesla to go it alone on high powered DC charging. I hope they will also work the Efacec, ABB, and others that are planning chargers of similar capability.

Reactions: pilotSteve
If ChargePoint were able to get a license to offer "native" Supercharger plugs on these chargers, every non-Roadster Tesla that has ever been produced will be able to charge at the car's maximum rate, whether that is 90kW (A battery early cars), or 100kW (early 60 cars), or 120kW (most other cars)
Great data, and everything I already know I agree with, except one small nit: I have a November 2016 "60" battery that maxes out at 99kW at all SuperChargers, even though inside it's a 75 battery.