Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

400 kW Tesla Charging via Chargepoint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chargepoint mysteriously shows a Tesla handle in their own charger in new promo video

Interesting. Hopefully they are going to partner with Tesla on Superchargers!

Or it could just be the capitulation from Chargepoint that even though the CHAdeMO and CCS standards exist, there are a lot of Tesla cars that are capable of taking a DCFC and may not want to spend the money on an adapter for either of these standards...

Tesla did release their patents, so I would presume that the charging interface for a Model S and Model X is part of those spec...

So are we gonna see 3 connector DC Fast Chargers? (CCS, CHAdeMO and Tesla)

Here's a good article by @tommolog on the announced 400kw Chargepoint chargers. He specifically mentions "ChargePoint Express Plus stations will offer CCS and CHAdeMO charging, but can support up to three connectors, leaving the possibility open for a third “standard” to be added. I doubt ChargePoint would have designed the stations with the option to add a third connector unless they believed there was a good possibility that it would be utilized." in the article... So, a Tesla one could be installed.

While I'm excited about not having to buy a CHAdeMO adapter, I've been wondering as well about that 400kW number. Will it be feasible to retrofit existing cars to support more than 120kW input (with a reasonable retrofit like the 75A upgrade), or is that tied into the battery pack construction such that only new cars could support it?

Obviously 400kW would still be great for shared stations, and a Tesla connector would be wonderful.

Has anyone used the chademo adapter on one of the 100KW level 3 chargers? I wonder if they can put electrons into a Tesla at the maximum rate with the adapter.
i thought the Tesla Chademo adapter has a limit on current that basically prevent people from using it for DC charger with more than 50 kw output. Pretty sure version 2 of the adapter will be out in the future.

Reactions: Ulmo
The Chademo spec imaxes at 62.5KW. Is there a new spec?

Also, the video has been removed so perhaps Chargepoint jumped the gun and showed something they're not supposed to yet.

CHAdeMO specification is:

50kW = 500 volts max * 125 amps max (really 62.5kW capable), about 2007-2008 time frame?

100kW = 500 volts max * 200 amps (max initial design)

150kW = 500 volts max * 350 amps (2017 launch, really 175kW capable)

350kW = 1000 volts max *350 amps = (proposed summer 2016)

CHAdeMO specification is:

50kW = 500 volts max * 125 amps max (really 62.5kW capable), about 2007-2008 time frame?

100kW = 500 volts max * 200 amps (max initial design)

150kW = 500 volts max * 350 amps (2017 launch, really 175kW capable)

350kW = 1000 volts max *350 amps = (proposed summer 2016)
I was talking about Chademo adapter made by Tesla. Not the Chademo station specs.

Assuming your batteries can handle it. On a 90KWh pack, this is a 4.5C charge rate, which no Tesla pack can handle. The reason superchargers are 120-135KW is that for current packs, that's actually faster than the batteries can handle. It's never been about the chargers.

If I go to a 100KW Chademo station, will the adapter down cycle to 50KW to not overload the adapter?

The actual Tesla / CHAdeMO adaptor limit is printed right on the adaptor... 125 amps.

Yes, that is technically 125a * 500v = 62.5kW (500v or 1000v is the published maximum CHAdeMO voltage)

No Tesla car has a battery over 400 volts (except the Roadster at 416v).

So, the actual maximum power is around 48kW in the "big battery" car (85-90-100kWh - 403v max) and about 42.5kW in the small battery car (60-70-75 - 354v max).

125a * 385v = 48kW max
125a * 340v = 42.5kW max

If you plug any Tesla ever produced since 2012 into ANY CHAdeMO station that is capable of 125a or more, or whether it is 500v or 1000v capable, it will charge at a maximum of 42.5kW or 48kW (plus or minus a kW or two).

The charge rate is slightly faster in the Tesla Roadster with JdeMO, because the battery voltage is slightly higher at a maximum of 416v. In addition, it may be possible to handle up to 200 amps:

125a * 400v = 50kW max
200a * 370v = 74kW max

Even if you plug your Tesla into this ChargePoint 400kW / 400a / 1000v capable beast, it will charge at the maximums as stated above.

If ChargePoint were able to get a license to offer "native" Supercharger plugs on these chargers, every non-Roadster Tesla that has ever been produced will be able to charge at the car's maximum rate, whether that is 90kW (A battery early cars), or 100kW (early 60 cars), or 120kW (most other cars)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve and Ulmo
Assuming your batteries can handle it. On a 90KWh pack, this is a 4.5C charge rate, which no Tesla pack can handle. The reason superchargers are 120-135KW is that for current packs, that's actually faster than the batteries can handle. It's never been about the chargers.
I disagree, charging infrastructure needs to come first. Both my Tesla's can charge at 120KW+, but no charger except Tesla SC can provide that - most crawl at 6KW. Having a network build up that can charge faster is great, plus will encourage manufacturers to make EV's that can charge that fast. Who would want to travel in a Tesla if they were limited to L2 public chargers? Or, how many people who buy a Bolt would pay an extra $10K to charge fast if no chargers were out there. I bet a lot more people would she'll out an extra 30% for a Bolt if it charged at 1000mph AND there were plenty of chargers along major routes.

Remember that Chargepoint is now beginning to set up infrastructure to support the Germans arriving during the next two years and after. In addition tesla will be working to make higher charge rates acceptable to the battery packs.

No matter how many graphs of C etc people make here we still need to be acutely aware of the pace of technological advance. JB said in 2013:
“It’s not going to happen in a year from now. It’s going to be hard. But I think we can get down to five to 10 minutes,”

Tesla Aims to Charge Electric Vehicles in Just Five Minutes, as Fast as a Fill-Up

We will see the ultra-fast charging in common use by 2020 and some before that. The Chargepoint announcement is all about chargers. Respectfully, it IS about the chargers and about the vehicles themselves and about the batteries. There are a number of crucial variables which all require advances to make these 5-10 minute charging sessions real.