Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

42.2 update - regen change sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up car today from Svc (due bill done) and while there it had 2018.42.2 19e7e44 loaded. I thought the regen didn't seem that strong while driving it home and running a few errands but thought maybe I was remembering the regen on our MS which I've been driving until today. Interestingly while at dinner tonight we got a notification of an update and are installing it now. Not sure what that is now as I thought we had the most current one. Should know in a half an hour.

In any event will switch between settings tomorrow. BTW I couldn't help but notice the neighboring cars dancing around a bit when stopped in traffic on the above update.

I noticed a big reduction in regen performance when the firmware changed from 39.x to 42.2. I've had the setting on Standard. The reduction is very noticeable above 60 km/h. The car just coasts and the regen kicks in below 40. I've been driving like this for a couple days and it's quite annoying. I wonder if this change is not affecting all vehicles in the same way.

Judging by this thread and others, it looks like some people have observed this and others have not. I will try toggling to low and back to Standard to see if it makes any difference. What exactly is the 'Toggling' method? I did try to toggle while driving the other day - the low was VERY low, and the standard was still the reduced standard. Do you have to keep it in low for a while and engage Park for this apparent 'reset'?

The latest 42.2 update for RWD cars changes the regen to make it less aggressive when in standard mode. I had to use my brakes a hell of a lot more in traffic today, and it makes the twisty roads less fun. This was a HUGE step back in driving performance. I want the old regen back! Give us an aggressive regen feature please!

See above - I have noticed a significant reduction in regen on my AWD with the 42.2 update. The change seems to be affecting some people and not others.

Drove around more at highway speeds. Bascially have lost all regen with 42.3 above 60 km/h. When releasing the pedal, the green goes all the way to the left, but there is no deceleration. When the car coasts below 60 km/h or so you can feel the additional regen kick in. Will contact service about this since it definitely feels wrong and a regression from prior firmware

Drove around more at highway speeds. Bascially have lost all regen with 42.3 above 60 km/h. When releasing the pedal, the green goes all the way to the left, but there is no deceleration. When the car coasts below 60 km/h or so you can feel the additional regen kick in. Will contact service about this since it definitely feels wrong and a regression from prior firmware

Can you confirm that the green fully pegged the FULL scale to the left, or just most of the way. In either case it sounds like a specific issue to you. My regen is fin and I am on 42.3 as well. Try cycling the low and standard regen setting?

I noticed a big reduction in regen performance when the firmware changed from 39.x to 42.2. I've had the setting on Standard. The reduction is very noticeable above 60 km/h. The car just coasts and the regen kicks in below 40. I've been driving like this for a couple days and it's quite annoying. I wonder if this change is not affecting all vehicles in the same way.

Judging by this thread and others, it looks like some people have observed this and others have not. I will try toggling to low and back to Standard to see if it makes any difference. What exactly is the 'Toggling' method? I did try to toggle while driving the other day - the low was VERY low, and the standard was still the reduced standard. Do you have to keep it in low for a while and engage Park for this apparent 'reset'?

Toggling was mentioned earlier in this thread:

42.2 update - regen change sucks

Can you confirm that the green fully pegged the FULL scale to the left, or just most of the way. In either case it sounds like a specific issue to you. My regen is fin and I am on 42.3 as well. Try cycling the low and standard regen setting?

There are a couple of dots on the left ... Here's another data point. Driving at 115 km/h Released pedal, car starts to coast (no regen feeling). Car coats slower - looking at the car graphic, there is NO braking indicated. As the car slowed down further, to < 60 km/h or so, the brake indicator on the screen showed up. So basically the car coasted from 115 down to 60 without any regeneration or apparent 'braking', while the green went almost completely to the left the entire time.

Tried toggling between LOW/STANDARD a few times with no apparent difference in behavior.

My experience is like yours. The toggle suggestion did not actually seem to help long term. The car often coasts, and the regen is noticeably weaker than previous to the 42.2 update. I got 42.2.1 last night, didn't help. I tried calling support a couple of times but was unable to wait the 40 minute hold time. Please report back if you get through and get an answer on this. It's really a step back in driving experience for me.

There are a couple of dots on the left ... Here's another data point. Driving at 115 km/h Released pedal, car starts to coast (no regen feeling). Car coats slower - looking at the car graphic, there is NO braking indicated. As the car slowed down further, to < 60 km/h or so, the brake indicator on the screen showed up. So basically the car coasted from 115 down to 60 without any regeneration or apparent 'braking', while the green went almost completely to the left the entire time.

Tried toggling between LOW/STANDARD a few times with no apparent difference in behavior.

I seem to have the opposite problem. Both regen settings seem to be stronger than they were before. In the past when I was in Low, the brake lights never went on. Now they seem to go on pretty often. Or at least the car icon shows them turning on. Anyone else see this?