Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

45 Minute QuickCharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure if Tesla's supercharger works the same way, but from what I know about CHAdeMO+LEAF, the on-board AC charger still has some logic circuits involved when doing high speed DC charging. Basically the charger in the car has access to sensors, history and knowledge of the battery pack to be able to make intelligent decisions about what volts&amps can go into the pack. Even though the off-board DC charger gets to send power directly into the pack it still depends on the car to tell it what sort of charging protocol is appropriate.

AC charging is just power+pilot signal to the car, but DC charging has a lot more cooperative handshaking between car and off-board charger.

I am not sure if Tesla's supercharger works the same way, but from what I know about CHAdeMO+LEAF, the on-board AC charger still has some logic circuits involved when doing high speed DC charging. Basically the charger in the car has access to sensors, history and knowledge of the battery pack to be able to make intelligent decisions about what volts&amps can go into the pack. Even though the off-board DC charger gets to send power directly into the pack it still depends on the car to tell it what sort of charging protocol is appropriate.

AC charging is just power+pilot signal to the car, but DC charging has a lot more cooperative handshaking between car and off-board charger.
I think that is the ideal offboard charger design (most flexible). The "brain" is in the car and decides what voltage and current goes into the battery (as it does with the onboard charger). All the offboard charger has to do is know how to listen to those commands from the car and doesn't have to make any assumptions about the battery inside the car.

I don't know if Tesla's design is like this though. Since the "supercharger" is only for the Model S right now, they could also have the charging logic being handled by the offboard charger instead. That makes the chargers much less flexible though.

...I don't know if Tesla's design is like this though. Since the "supercharger" is only for the Model S right now, they could also have the charging logic being handled by the offboard charger instead. That makes the chargers much less flexible though.
Yes, for instance if it was designed with the assumption that it would always charge a Model S battery pack it could end up being incapable of being adapted to charge other vehicles (like a LEAF) through CHAdeMO. Lets hope it is flexible and open enough that eventually there can be adapters to/from other types of vehicles that support different flavors of QC.

Related:
Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S

DC charging is very simple: charge up to the wanted voltage with maximum current. when voltage is reached, reduced current until reaching minimum level. than charging is finished.
Telsa uses PLC for communication. Before the charging starts, the car send the information to the charger and then charging starts. The car keeps to send "ok" messages to the charger in intervals until charging is finished then it will send the "stop" message.

From yesterday's Tesla 10-K:
We are offering the capability to fast charge Model S vehicles equipped with either the 60 kWh or 85 kWh battery packs at one of Tesla’s SuperCharger facilities, which we plan to start installing at selected locations in the United States in 2012. We anticipate that the fast charge capability will allow Model S owners to replenish 50% of the battery pack in about 30 minutes. This feature would offer these drivers a rapid and convenient way to recharge their vehicles. In addition, we are designing Model S to incorporate a modular battery pack in the floor of the vehicle, enabling it to be rapidly swapped out at a specialized commercial battery exchange facility that we anticipate may be available in the future.

The 85 kWh Model S includes free unlimited supercharging, which makes me think that the 60 kWh will have the option at time of purchase for signing up for unlimited supercharging for a fee. Wrapped up in this fee is the cost of the hardware and software that enables supercharging. So rather than paying per use, you have to decide at time of purchase if you want supercharging for say $1,500 and then you'll get it free for life after that. I think they might go this way because they use the term "optional" which makes me think it's an option when you buy the car, also I was told that it is illegal to sell electricity in the United States (IANAL) if you are not a regulated utility. I am sure there are others on this site that know better about this topic than I do.

The 85 kWh Model S includes free unlimited supercharging, which makes me think that the 60 kWh will have the option at time of purchase for signing up for unlimited supercharging for a fee. Wrapped up in this fee is the cost of the hardware and software that enables supercharging. So rather than paying per use, you have to decide at time of purchase if you want supercharging for say $1,500 and then you'll get it free for life after that. I think they might go this way because they use the term "optional" which makes me think it's an option when you buy the car, also I was told that it is illegal to sell electricity in the United States (IANAL) if you are not a regulated utility. I am sure there are others on this site that know better about this topic than I do.
I think you're jumping to a conclusion; it may be that the 85kWh cars include the hardware and software for Supercharging, but that 60kWh purchasers must pay something extra for the SC capability. Tesla has never said that ongoing use of SCs will be free.

Agree with Robert.

Interesting that Tesla seem to have confirmed that the 60kWh battery can utilize the Supercharger network:

To complement its range capabilities, we also are offering Model S with a package of recharging options. We are offering the capability to fast charge Model S vehicles equipped with either the 60 kWh or 85 kWh battery packs at one of Tesla’s SuperCharger facilities, which we plan to start installing at selected locations in the United States in 2012. We anticipate that the fast charge capability will allow Model S owners to replenish 50% of the battery pack in about 30 minutes. This feature would offer these drivers a rapid and convenient way to recharge their vehicles. In addition, we are designing Model S to incorporate a modular battery pack in the floor of the vehicle, enabling it to be rapidly swapped out at a specialized commercial battery exchange facility that we anticipate may be available in the future.

It's not a question of legality. In many states, utility regulations do not distinguish between electricity generated for sale to business or residential customers and electricity sold at charging stations. The implication is that charging stations are regulated like a public utility. CA passed legislation to exempt charging stations from the definition of a public utility. CO has pending legislation.