Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 Batteries from Giga Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 4680 battery system is no doubt a gateway to more range for Tesla. The question is how soon will it happen.

1-3 year future Prediction:
Model Y and 3: ~400 mile range
Model S and X: ~500 mile range
If they can reduce weight with structural batteries and fit enough 4680’s to give them the range. One of the big factors remains, we still don’t know how many 4680s it will take to get the predicted range. So this is all speculation. But based on what we do know it seems plausible.

I just don’t see a lot of room for change this year. They already have committed to bringing on the 4680 battery and new structural model Y. They have two huge factories to bring online and they want to get to a point where they can start on the Cybertruck and Roadster. I just don’t see room for tinkering with their entire lineup in addition to this.
I think we'll see a modest range boost for the new batteries, if only for the good publicity.

Why would anyone in their right mind think they’re all the sudden going to bump range in new pack Y’s? Like put yourself in Elons shoes for a half a minute…

It’s idiotic to think they’ll do anything but match current capacity.
I agree. The most likely scenario is perhaps a slight increase in range, but a reduction in the number of cells and weight, and costs necessary to reach that range. That will let them build more cars, maintain a high-profit margin, and contain cost growth. Tesla's first focuses are innovation, reduction in costs, and ease of assembly.

Why idiotic? It’s a lever for Tesla to increase the lead on competition. Acceleration gap is closing with other EVs so winning on efficiency and range though innovation is a differentiator. A 400 mile Y and 3 would crush any current and near future competition.
I think people who own current model Y are in denial. No way Tesla doesn’t increase range or speed once 4680s are fully rolling. Elon even said they are NOT battery constraint

• Funny
Reactions: Eskimo YoYo
I think people who own current model Y are in denial. No way Tesla doesn’t increase range or speed once 4680s are fully rolling. Elon even said they are NOT battery constraint
Hopefully they do, or even better make the range more realistic then what it is today. My MY is a 150 mile winter/200 mile summer car. It would be awesome if given realistic use it could get closer to 300. I know forum user X gets 3000% efficiency but my driving the car is 50-80%. That said I don’t see why they would need to bump anything, they’re not being forced to by competition and they’re not seeing people getting some other EV because of range. Until they have Model Ys sitting on the lot waiting for a buyer there’s no reason to add more expense to their bottom line. But again I do hope it gets a bump.

Reactions: thisisdiddy
I think people that think all of a sudden a same year 2022 even if they do have the new batteries think all of a sudden the car is going to have all this extra range and acceleration are in denial. Keep going and holding your delivery. While people have zero facts I will go out on a limb and say Tesla has ZERO chance of producing two same year Ys and make them inherently different. No chance. You will not be able to tell the difference between the two other than knowing you have a new battery. Maybe in 23. Maybe a plus model (cost a bit more) but no chance, no how are all of a sudden Austin produced (even if they have the new battery) will be different.

Hopefully they do, or even better make the range more realistic then what it is today. My MY is a 150 mile winter/200 mile summer car. It would be awesome if given realistic use it could get closer to 300. I know forum user X gets 3000% efficiency but my driving the car is 50-80%. That said I don’t see why they would need to bump anything, they’re not being forced to by competition and they’re not seeing people getting some other EV because of range. Until they have Model Ys sitting on the lot waiting for a buyer there’s no reason to add more expense to their bottom line. But again I do hope it gets a bump.
Nobody knows. All the speculation here is fueled by either wish fulfillment or misanthropy.

Would we ever see Tesla throw a handful of MYP2.0's to say MotorTrend or Car & Driver etc. and let them do a full review on them before they sell them to customers? Give us real world non-bias driving impressions, range, acceleration data and Charging speeds. Head to head comparison of Fremont vs Austin battle royal! Can only imagine the "HOLDS" if the Texas won in every category. I am not giving any speculation to what is or what will ultimately happen when they are finally shipped to the eagerly waiting customers "in 7-10 days" haha. Elon is going to shock the world when that day comes and one of us on this TMC Forum will hit the lottery when we see that "A" in the VIN# for better or worse. Can't wait to see how much YouTube content comes out as soon as the 2.0's hit the street. Buckle up it's going to be fun to see who can get it out first.

Reactions: LibertyEV
I think people that think all of a sudden a same year 2022 even if they do have the new batteries think all of a sudden the car is going to have all this extra range and acceleration are in denial. Keep going and holding your delivery. While people have zero facts I will go out on a limb and say Tesla has ZERO chance of producing two same year Ys and make them inherently different. No chance. You will not be able to tell the difference between the two other than knowing you have a new battery. Maybe in 23. Maybe a plus model (cost a bit more) but no chance, no how are all of a sudden Austin produced (even if they have the new battery) will be different.
doesn’t Tesla continue to make changes to a same model year car. They’ve been doing it and even if they don’t a 2023 model year would probably come in November so that’s not far off. Current wait times aren’t until November/December anyways. We shall see in the next 3 months

Reactions: SJC3
I can see how Austin could use different max voltages to make different size packs, or even different top or bottom buffers to temporarily match Fremont cars’ range.

But I can’t see Austin putting dummy cells in a structural pack.

Last edited:
Reading these forums is a little like Apple forums before an Apple Event. Everyone raving about the product Apple is updating as a major update, it comes out and the camera is slightly better. I really think the new batteries will be better for long term but short term might be only a “slight bump”. IMO :) Please don’t flame me I love Tesla and Apple.

Another wild guess: Maybe Tesla will be like Apple and release the Austin Y at the current price, and drop the price of the Fremont Y. 😁

Reactions: CaliX