Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5-15 110V garage wall outlet range anxiety or nothing to worry about ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
PlugShare- 6 miles away
Supercharger-30 miles away
Future supercharger 2022- 13 miles away

Roundtrip to and from office- 22 miles, currently still working from home. Rarely drive anywhere weekday nights.

Weekend driving 50-75 miles Saturday & Sunday with an occasional trip to Chicago - 120 miles

SE WI winters are quite harsh, but do I really have anything to worry about?

My electrician spoke to the inspector and told him I would need a $2k panel upgrade and a 14-50 Nema isn’t an option in my case. In fact my current 100amp should really be 135amp.

With the MY never really going in sleep mode what should I be worried about as far as my electrical bill goes?

Will I still be able to precondition in the winter?

Last edited:
The 16kW must be a typo. In any case the Tesla vehicle can't charge at 16kW using Level 2. The maximum for Level 2 is 11.5kW. It is possible to charge at 16Kw using a CHAdeMO charging station (requires a $400 Tesla CHAdeMO adapter) but usually CHAdeMO charging stations are 50kW.

99% of the time when you encounter a public Level 2 charging station it will be 208V and 30A for 6kW charging. A few are 208V and 40A, 8kW. Figure 7% charge added to the battery per hour, 22 to 24 miles of range per hour.
PlugShare is going to give me 22-24 charging miles an hour. Not bad.

Upvote 0
My electrician told me
The one that is already there should be completely fine to use. It is rated for the amperage that the circuit is calling for.

Putting a commercial grade is overkill and a hospital grade receptacle is not possible because you don't have 2 grounds at the box as well as it also overkill.
Just keep an eye on the receptacle, check it with your hand to see if it gets too warm while charging. It is not the amperage rating of the receptacle that is a concern. If the receptacle is old it is the condition of the tines (the grabby metal parts) that hold onto the prongs of the plug.) If the connection with the plug is not clean and tight bad things happen.

Reactions: 1plavs
Upvote 0
Just keep an eye on the receptacle, check it with your hand to see if it gets too warm while charging. It is not the amperage rating of the receptacle that is a concern. If the receptacle is old it is the condition of the tines (the grabby metal parts) that hold onto the prongs of the plug.) If the connection with the plug is not clean and tight bad things happen.
I am thinking I may want to look into a RAV4 Prime ultimately, but the MY is so hard to pass up.

Upvote 0
I am thinking I may want to look into a RAV4 Prime ultimately, but the MY is so hard to pass up.
I traded a 2017 Chevrolet Volt PHEV for my Model Y. The Volt could travel 53 miles using the battery (420 miles total range including using gas.) The charging options were similar to what you have with the Model Y. Charge at home using 120V at 3 miles of range per hour. Charge at 240V for 12 miles of range per hour (the Volt would only charge at a maximum of 240V and 16A (3.6kW)). When I first purchased the Volt I would charge for 10 or 11 hours each work day and it would enable me to drive electrically for 32 miles. I would use gas for another 12 or so miles because I know it would take too long to fully charge the Volt's battery for the next day using 120V charging. My commute at the time was ~44 miles.

Your commute is half the distance of my old commute and you have 12 or more hours at home each day when you can charge. You will be fine charging at Level 1 with the Tesla. You will probably eventually decide to upgrade your electrical service, panel. Then you can install a 240V charging setup.

Upvote 0
I traded a 2017 Chevrolet Volt PHEV for my Model Y. The Volt could travel 53 miles using the battery (420 miles total range including using gas.) The charging options were similar to what you have with the Model Y. Charge at home using 120V at 3 miles of range per hour. Charge at 240V for 12 miles of range per hour (the Volt would only charge at a maximum of 240V and 16A (3.6kW)). When I first purchased the Volt I would charge for 10 or 11 hours each work day and it would enable me to drive electrically for 32 miles. I would use gas for another 12 or so miles because I know it would take too long to fully charge the Volt's battery for the next day using 120V charging. My commute at the time was ~44 miles.
Reason for upgrading to the MY?

Upvote 0
Reason for upgrading to the MY?
The Volt was the ultimate commuter vehicle for one or two passengers. The rear seats were tight. It was difficult to get in and out of the rear seats. No one would want to ride in the rear seats a second time. Also, I never used the Volt the way it was designed where you take long trips using the gas engine. I would buy ~$7 worth of gas a few times per year. Even though I rarely needed to use the gas engine the Volt would want to circulate engine fluids, use a little gas every 6 weeks so I just got in the habit of driving the Volt on the highway for 10 - 12 miles, warm up the engine oil. I would do this about once a month. With the Volt I still needed to occasionally buy some gas, change the engine oil and pass the state emission test. With the Tesla all I have to do is put air in the tires, add washer fluid.

The Tesla Model Y is much roomier than the Volt for the driver and passengers. The Model Y has more cargo capacity. The only feature I miss from the Volt is my early Model Y does not have the heated steering wheel but here in Maryland that is not a big deal especially since I precondition the Model Y.

The Volt was very quick off the line, up to ~30 MPH but was done as far as power by 40 MPH. With the Tesla you have to watch yourself else you are quickly 20MPH+ over the speed limit.

Upvote 0
The Volt was the ultimate commuter vehicle for one or two passengers. The rear seats were tight. It was difficult to get in and out of the rear seats. No one would want to ride in the rear seats a second time. Also, I never used the Volt the way it was designed where you take long trips using the gas engine. I would buy ~$7 worth of gas a few times per year. Even though I rarely needed to use the gas engine the Volt would want to circulate engine fluids, use a little gas every 6 weeks so I just got in the habit of driving the Volt on the highway for 10 - 12 miles, warm up the engine oil. I would do this about once a month. With the Volt I still needed to occasionally buy some gas, change the engine oil and pass the state emission test. With the Tesla all I have to do is put air in the tires, add washer fluid.

The Tesla Model Y is much roomier than the Volt for the driver and passengers. The Model Y has more cargo capacity. The only feature I miss from the Volt is my early Model Y does not have the heated steering wheel but here in Maryland that is not a big deal especially since I precondition the Model Y.

The Volt was very quick off the line, up to ~30 MPH but was done as far as power by 40 MPH. With the Tesla you have to watch yourself else you are quickly 20MPH+ over the speed limit.
The Rav4 Prime is really appealing plus it has a $7,500 rebate. I used to drive a a Prius Prime. 700 miles on a full tank!

Upvote 0
The Rav4 Prime is really appealing plus it has a $7,500 rebate. I used to drive a a Prius Prime. 700 miles on a full tank!
Yeah the Rav4 Prime XSE with the 6.6 kW upgraded onboard charger does look nice. I would have bought this over my Outlander GT PHEV if it was available in 2018. The Outlander PHEV was the only non luxury EV with 4-wheel drive at the time. I partly feel silly selling the PHEV after only 3 years, but I can afford the MY now and excited to go full BEV.

Upvote 0

@1plavs if you need the vehicle anytime soon (even later this year), you may want to check with a few dealers about availability. Last I heard, Toyota was not building a lot of these for the 2021 model year, and many (maybe all) were already spoken for.

Upvote 0
If you can routinely charge your car for 10 to 12 hours, a Level I EVSE should work just fine. It just doesn't leave much wiggle room should you need to make an unscheduled trip. Additionally please make sure that 120V outlet has NOTHING else on it and that the wires are attached via the screw terminals, not bare wires stabbed into the back of the outlet. An ounce of prevention....

I learned this the hard way a few years ago when I owned a 2013 Volt.

tjfUGx1.jpg

Upvote 0
If you can routinely charge your car for 10 to 12 hours, a Level I EVSE should work just fine. It just doesn't leave much wiggle room should you need to make an unscheduled trip. Additionally please make sure that 120V outlet has NOTHING else on it and that the wires are attached via the screw terminals, not bare wires stabbed into the back of the outlet. An ounce of prevention....

I learned this the hard way a few years ago when I owned a 2013 Volt.

tjfUGx1.jpg
Sorry to see that. But you raise a very good point. No outlets in your house should be backstabbed. However, it is allowable by code, which is a shame. Contractors prefer backstabbing because they can wire a new construction house that much quicker.

I lost my TV in my new construction house due to voltage fluctuations via backstabbed receptacles. Surge protectors prevent against surges, but not sudden drops in voltage. The builder wouldn't replace the TV, but they un-backstabbed all of the living room receptacles. I've since updated about another dozen in the house.

Upvote 0
And then how I can see the rates?
The rates vary widely, but are normally significantly less than gas in the area for mile/gal equivalent. They can also vary for peak vs. off peak times. Here is a good read to get an idea.

But really if you plan to use a local supercharger near your home, which isn't a bad idea with your free 1,000 supercharger miles early on, then you should just drive your ICE over there now and check out it's rate structure. If it's not posted, I'm sure a person plugged in will share that info with you.

Upvote 0
And then how I can see the rates?
Supercharger rates vary by state and location. Assume $0.30 per kWh for planning. In some states such as California Tesla is experimenting with 50% off-peak Supercharger rates. A Better Route Planner (ABRP) automatically calculates the estimated duration and cost of each Supercharger charging session when you use ABRP to plan a trip.

You shouldn't use the Supercharger maximum charging rate to estimate cost because the charging rate starts out high then tapers off.

Urban Superchargers: 72kW peak charging rate
V2 Superchargers: 120kW or 150kW peak charging
V3 Superchargers: 250kW peak charging

For example the V3 Supercharger can only approach 250kW charging if the Tesla vehicle's battery is fully warmed up, even then peak charging only occurs for ~6 minutes. Otherwise the V3 Supercharger charging rate soon tapers down closer to the V2 150kW rate (~170kW).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The rates vary widely, but are normally significantly less than gas in the area for mile/gal equivalent. They can also vary for peak vs. off peak times. Here is a good read to get an idea.

But really if you plan to use a local supercharger near your home, which isn't a bad idea with your free 1,000 supercharger miles early on, then you should just drive your ICE over there now and check out it's rate structure. If it's not posted, I'm sure a person plugged in will share that info with you.
In the long run and knowing that my range and charging time will significantly impacted here in SE WI with a Tesla and knowing that I’ll be using a 5-15 outlet and PlugShare/Supercharger when necessary…..is the MY still my best bet vs let’s a Rav4 Prime? Considering costs, gas vs electric power and maintenance over time.

Upvote 0
In the long run and knowing that my range and charging time will significantly impacted here in SE WI with a Tesla and knowing that I’ll be using a 5-15 outlet and PlugShare/Supercharger when necessary…..is the MY still my best bet vs let’s a Rav4 Prime? Considering costs, gas vs electric power and maintenance over time.
Only you can decide. Since you have experience with the Prius Prime expect the RAV4 Prime to be similar but with a larger battery capacity. My understanding of the Prius Prime is that you could not fully accelerate with the pedal fully depressed without causing the gas engine to fire up. That would be a major downer for me as my 2017 Volt would operate in EV mode under all conditions as long as there was battery charge.

Upvote 0