Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5-15 110V garage wall outlet range anxiety or nothing to worry about ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
PlugShare- 6 miles away
Supercharger-30 miles away
Future supercharger 2022- 13 miles away

Roundtrip to and from office- 22 miles, currently still working from home. Rarely drive anywhere weekday nights.

Weekend driving 50-75 miles Saturday & Sunday with an occasional trip to Chicago - 120 miles

SE WI winters are quite harsh, but do I really have anything to worry about?

My electrician spoke to the inspector and told him I would need a $2k panel upgrade and a 14-50 Nema isn’t an option in my case. In fact my current 100amp should really be 135amp.

With the MY never really going in sleep mode what should I be worried about as far as my electrical bill goes?

Will I still be able to precondition in the winter?

Last edited:
The NEC allows for installing a 40A breaker on a circuit with a 14-50 receptacle as there is no specific receptacle made for 40A. The receptacle would be labeled 240V/40A to avoid any confusion. In any event the Tesla Mobile Connector would never allow more than 32A to be passed from the 14-50 receptacle so this still conforms to the 80% limit when charging a plug in vehicle.
You are correct about the Gen 2 mobile connector with a 14-50 adapter. So yes, it would only draw 32 amps. However, let's say he decides to purchase the non-adapter corded mobile connector from Tesla. That does draw 40 amps and most definitely a fire risk.

Upvote 0
Your first pic of the panel is way too far away. Need to be able to read each breaker's amperage.
2nd panel is for our basement rec room.

Attachments

• E5D44498-3F22-40A2-9205-D770B09C3DE1.jpeg
    E5D44498-3F22-40A2-9205-D770B09C3DE1.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 4196B43A-F2CE-4898-921B-E91E3E580202.jpeg
    4196B43A-F2CE-4898-921B-E91E3E580202.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 7DBD04F7-E7AC-4D42-9B26-E9E5C56DCD69.jpeg
    7DBD04F7-E7AC-4D42-9B26-E9E5C56DCD69.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 8060DF9E-8350-4FD9-82FC-64A20737DD61.jpeg
    8060DF9E-8350-4FD9-82FC-64A20737DD61.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
2nd panel is for our basement rec room.
Where is your dryer located? A couple things you could do. Either run an approved extension cord to the dryer and get on that 240v 30 amp receptacle. Or, just hear me out. In case your dryer is old, you could get a gas dryer, which can run on a 120v 15amp outlet. And then abandon the dryer circuit and run a new 240v 30 amp line to the garage. I'm just laying down some options to get ideas flowing.

Upvote 0
Where is your dryer located? A couple things you could do. Either run an approved extension cord to the dryer and get on that 240v 30 amp receptacle. Or, just hear me out. In case your dryer is old, you could get a gas dryer, which can run on a 120v 15amp outlet. And then abandon the dryer circuit and run a new 240v 30 amp line to the garage. I'm just laying down some options to get ideas flowing.
Dryer is next to the garage and it’s a newer LG. I wouldn’t have really anywhere to run an extension cord here if you see what I mean.

Attachments

• 679D797B-3682-40B0-9AFF-85A9F33BAE66.jpeg
    679D797B-3682-40B0-9AFF-85A9F33BAE66.jpeg
    558.3 KB · Views: 43
Upvote 0
Dryer is next to the garage and it’s a newer LG. I wouldn’t have really anywhere to run an extension cord here if you see what I mean.
Wow that's perfect. Just go right through the wall. You could definitely professionally hook up to that dryer outlet. And to avoid constant unplugging on the dryer receptacle which they are not designed for, you could purchase this splitter. However, you would want to unplug the mobile connector from the splitter so as to avoid the potential of running the dryer at the same time as charging the car. You cannot do both at the same time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow that's perfect. Just go right through the wall. You could definitely professionally hook up to that dryer outlet. And to avoid constant unplugging on the dryer receptacle which they are not designed for, you could purchase this splitter. However, you would want to unplug the mobile connector from the splitter so as to avoid the potential of running the dryer at the same time as charging the car. You cannot do both at the same time.
But there is no legal means of doing a cord from the laundry room to the garage.

The splitter does not show a UL Listing "Underwriters Laboratories".

this is one of those things that would keep me up at night because of insurance reasons. Plus someone would have to inspect the “hole in the wall” if you know what I mean.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
But there is no legal means of doing a cord from the laundry room to the garage.

The splitter does not show a UL Listing "Underwriters Laboratories".

this is one of those things that would keep me up at night because of insurance reasons. Plus someone would have to inspect the “hole in the wall” if you know what I mean.
Even if you didn't want to go through the wall, just purchase the 14-30 adapter from Tesla for $35. Then just always use the 5-15, but in a pinch if you need the extra charge, you may not even need an extension cord. That is so close just back the MY in and plug into the dry outlet. Yes the door will be open, but this would only be needed if on the off chance the 5-15 couldn't meet your needs for the next day.

Reactions: jcanoe
Upvote 0
Even if you didn't want to go through the wall, just purchase the 14-30 adapter from Tesla for $35. Then just always use the 5-15, but in a pinch if you need the extra charge, you may not even need an extension cord. That is so close just back the MY in and plug into the dry outlet. Yes the door will be open, but this would only be needed if on the off chance the 5-15 couldn't meet your needs for the next day.
What would the 14-30 give me as far as charging miles by the hour?

Upvote 0
Doh! What about the fact that I’d be unplugging the dryer and unplugging the cord from the 5-15 outlet those times. I measured 12 feet from the dryer to the Tesla charger in the rear. Where would the chassis be placed in that case as I don’t want it hanging which causes tension.
You can unplug the Tesla Mobile Connector from the 5-15 plug adapter, leave the 5-15 plug adapter in the receptacle (there are no exposed contacts.)

You can rig up a way to hang the Mobile Connector chassis, i.e. use a velcro wrap or a bungee. Anything will do.

Upvote 0
Doh! What about the fact that I’d be unplugging the dryer and unplugging the cord from the 5-15 outlet those times. I measured 12 feet from the dryer to the Tesla charger in the rear. Where would the chassis be placed in that case as I don’t want it hanging which causes tension.
A few times a year won't be a bid deal on the 14-30. Also what @jcanoe said, just leave it there. But also the 5-15 outlet can handle multiple removals everyday, but again, spend $3 and replace for personal insurance relief if over 5 years old. You just wouldn't want to do it every week on a 14-30. If it's being used as a just-in-case measure, I wouldn't worry about it.

You could install something to ensure its not hanging. I can tell you without seeing exactly where the outlet is. The mobile connector is a 20 foot cable.

Upvote 0