Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 Hours After Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:biggrin: So, I'm 5 hours after delivery of my s85D and here were some of my initial thoughts/experiences.

1. Delivery was relatively painless, except the paperwork was wrong. My suggestion is 24 hours in advance make sure you email your DS to ensure lease vs purchase, name for registration, etc. are all correct - they can't fix it there and it took me an extra hour to get out of there waiting for proper papkerwork from CA.

2. Go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb - thank goodness for the delivery checklist on the forum - I discovered a bad seam at the corner panel/headlight/frunk which could have been a problem in the long run. The great news is the DS immediately filled out a form to get it fixed and I am not worried about it. It was odd and no one could figure out how it became the way it did. Otherwise everything was PERFECT!

3. I did not get the great "reveal" from under the cover, etc., but it didn't matter. My son and I walked in and it was awesome.

4. The DS walked me around the car, showing me every feature starting from the key fob through the "big screen". We didn't name the car and I wouldn't have known I could if it was not for the the forums. As a matter of fact, 95% of everything I learned in the test drive or on the forums (thank you members).

5. They did NOT have the vehicle in a position where I could test out the charger, but they had another vehicle there that was on the charger so I could play and learn on that one. I figured that if my charger didn't work they could not have gotten it a full charge to begin with.

6. The drive home, I had to go the long way so I could take the highway, where I scared myself accelerating as I got on - I got the full 85d 4.1 second experience. As a matter of fact, I think the acceleration from a rolling start is more intense! Next thing I knew I was past 80 mph...it was AWESOME!!!!

7. I pulled into my driveway and two of my kids met me there begging for a ride - one of my 14 year old daughters proclaimed that it was better than a roller coaster!

8. I need to program the gazillion radio/slacker/internet radio station options - it's a bit overwhelming but after 8 years of Sirius/XM I am excited about it. Will I miss Howard Stern? I can listen via my phone & Bluetooth.

9. The best - my wife drove a Tesla for the 1st time. She had trouble with the regen braking but the "surprise" on her face when she floored the accelerator was PRICELESS!

The things you don't realize until you drive it more than a test drive:

1. Wife can't get the seatbelt off of her neck, even with the seat all the way "up" - she's 5' 3" (I'm 6' 3"). But, she is able to get high enough for a great view.

2. Charger placement in your garage - I had my 14-50 outlet installed well in advance. What wasn't planned on is what to do with the cable (I bought an extra cable to leave plugged in at home). How do you deal with the large "transformer", where to mount a hook for the extra cable, how high to mount the plug, etc. I got lucky that I was able to move some things, but this takes some planning.

3. Storage is short - I did buy the Tesla center-console and it looks great. However, I have some spare keys for my office, golf club locker, etc that I like to leave in the car, as well as spare sunglasses, etc. Glove box is small but most of it will live there since my registration/insurance are "thin".

Overall, car is more awesome than I remember when I test drove. My wife was shocked and impressed. My father-in-law giggled when I let him drive it, and my 17 year old son is desperate to get behind the wheel.

1st long road trip is next wee, I will update my experience next week.

BTW - struggling with names, son suggested "Tom" because my wife keeps calling the fob a "mouse" - hence Tom and Jerry.

Congrats. FYI - I have no plans to let my 16 year olds drive mine when it comes in. Are you going to let your 17 year old drive it?

I let him drive it yesterday...never again! He drives fast as it is, but in this thing he was unreal fast. The GREAT news is the car handles so beautifully that I was never really THAT worried.

Dad: "OK, son, take it slow."
Son: (Doing 0-60 in 4 seconds) "I'm just driving it like you do, Dad!"

Were you playing "let's learn how to charge" on my car? :)

Adam at Rockville is very thorough and asked 100 times, do you have any questions. This forum provided 99.994% of the answers ahead of time. The paperwork was wrong on mine as well (missing 2nd n in last name) but we went ahead and signed anyway. I actually requested the documents a couple of days ahead to review language just to be safe, and I missed it as well. Needed to come back anyway to give a check for the Maryland Bay tag charge and Adam made me resign everything again. Took 3 minutes.

Only one small nit on the Princess of Argos. One of the wheel well covers didn't fit perfect. Adam got a tech to fix it and still wrote it up on the list in case it happens again.

Finished pick up at 11:30 and finished 1st drive around 3:00. FUN FUN FUN

Still waiting for mobile app to come on line. Something to play with over dinner out tonight. Man, it's great to finally have her.

For your cable you can buy this little piece of plastic from Tesla to hold the charging handle.

Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Replacement Wall Connector Cable Organizer

Grats on the great car!

And I would also recommend this helpful 3d printed umc controller wall bracket found at TMC Marketplace.
I have it along with the wall connector organizer and they really work well together to keep your charging cable accessible and organized. The UMC bracket keeps the controller from pulling out of the wall as gravity weighs on it over time.

Boofagle - Thanks for the tip on Howard - I didn't know I could download - that will be perfect!

- - - Updated - - -

Were you playing "let's learn how to charge" on my car? :)

Adam at Rockville is very thorough and asked 100 times, do you have any questions. This forum provided 99.994% of the answers ahead of time. The paperwork was wrong on mine as well (missing 2nd n in last name) but we went ahead and signed anyway. I actually requested the documents a couple of days ahead to review language just to be safe, and I missed it as well. Needed to come back anyway to give a check for the Maryland Bay tag charge and Adam made me resign everything again. Took 3 minutes.

Only one small nit on the Princess of Argos. One of the wheel well covers didn't fit perfect. Adam got a tech to fix it and still wrote it up on the list in case it happens again.

Finished pick up at 11:30 and finished 1st drive around 3:00. FUN FUN FUN

Still waiting for mobile app to come on line. Something to play with over dinner out tonight. Man, it's great to finally have her.

Hooray! I am ordering custom tags, still debating on what and I have to wait to get the "standard" tag before I can order anyhow.

Love the name, we're still debating but I think I will go with "Usain" since it's black and fast as lightning!

Mobile app is OK - I used it today to "pre-cool" the car after lunch...worked like a charm.

Looking forward to introducing the Princess to Usain!

- - - Updated - - -

Great first day write-up. Keep the stories coming. Love reading about how others are enjoying the car.
I can't believe you don't have yours yet - following your thread...crazy!