Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50,000 Mile Maintenance Debate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

I just passed the 50,000 mile mark recently, about 32 months into ownership. I had the 25K mile maintenance, which I determined to be a total waste of money for me, as they really didn't do much. There was no need to change my brake fluid, and my HVAC system needed no maintenance, either.

So here I am at the 50K mark, and the only new item is changing the battery coolant. Question is - do I really need this now? Of course, I wouldn't do it myself, but I'm wondering if it's necessary. I don't really need any of the other services, and my car was in at just under 50K for some last minute warranty work, and they checked everything thoroughly at my request.

I'm interested in the community's .02. Money is important, clearly, and I want to save where possible; however, I am willing to spend it if necessary. Thanks!

Since my vehicle was just thoroughly inspected, I don't think I need an assurance that it's okay. What I'm really wondering about is if the battery coolant/fluid really needs to be changed now or can it wait?
I'd keep to the schedule. The anti-corrosion chemicals don't last forever. I have no idea how much a corroded battery cooling system costs to replace--and I sure don't want to find out.

Hi all -

I just passed the 50,000 mile mark recently, about 32 months into ownership. I had the 25K mile maintenance, which I determined to be a total waste of money for me, as they really didn't do much. There was no need to change my brake fluid, and my HVAC system needed no maintenance, either.

So here I am at the 50K mark, and the only new item is changing the battery coolant. Question is - do I really need this now? Of course, I wouldn't do it myself, but I'm wondering if it's necessary. I don't really need any of the other services, and my car was in at just under 50K for some last minute warranty work, and they checked everything thoroughly at my request.

I'm interested in the community's .02. Money is important, clearly, and I want to save where possible; however, I am willing to spend it if necessary. Thanks!

I would do this one as your Warrenty on all but the power train is running out soon? But you are making me think about skipping my 25k mile. Only thing I paid for in 15k miles is 1 tire rotation.

Coolant replacement is the only maintenance I plan to have done by the SC. I flush the brake fluid myself (I have a Motive pressure bleeder which makes it sooo easy) and the cabin filter swaps out in a minute or two.

I noticed in year one they do a Drive Unit(s) fluid service. Anyone know what they do exactly?

I don't.

My guess is because there was a question or controversy about drive unit reliability so if it wears off prematurely, may be you can catch it after the 1st year or 12,500 miles by visual inspection of the component as well as observing to see whether there's any metal dust from worn gears in the old fluid.

If there's no bad forensic evidence, let's do it again on the 6th year or 62,500 miles.