Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Making what up? We don't know the range or all the specs. Now even that marketing poster may be fake. There's a lot of folks playing the "Jumping to Conclusions(tm)" game.

... and, there's absolutely a few small armchair warriors with pointless empty lives that just hate Telsa and want to tear down anything they can to feel like they have power ... or possibly on somebody's payroll ...

How about some positive uplifting posts instead of the constant whining and complaining?

I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of readers knew that the features of the concept truck weren't going to make it to production, it's naive to think that every lofty goal would translate into an affordable production vehicle.

feelings != facts
exactly.. the people that hate Tesla will use this exact metric to say that Tesla lies.

although 500 miles of range is appealing, and one of the reasons I ordered, I don't think its coming anytime soon which does suck.
I don't think it will either, battery supply issues and really no need until there is enough 500 mile competition to make it worth it. They are going to sell every 350 mile (or hopefully more) truck they make and they know it. More margin on volume.

I'm cautiously hopeful though, would love to see them throw some shock and awe out there there with a 450 mile truck.

My FJ can't even go 250 miles on Super Unleaded... if it does better than that I will be happy.
My 2018 RAM 1500 Hemi full size pickup gets 600 miles on a full tank on the highway - 250-300 miles towing under load. I will not be happy if this CT is released only offering 330-350 miles of "EPA rated" range - which really means about 260-270 miles without towing anything - or half that towing under load. This isn't going to be any better than the F150L's miserable tow ratings given the CT is rumored to only be offering up a 122kw pack initially.

I don't think it will either, battery supply issues and really no need until there is enough 500 mile competition to make it worth it. They are going to sell every 350 mile (or hopefully more) truck they make and they know it. More margin on volume.

I'm cautiously hopeful though, would love to see them throw some shock and awe out there there with a 450 mile truck.
Considering the Silverado EV WT3 is already rolling out with 450 miles of range - with encouraging towing videos online from reviewers - I'd say the competition is already here. I have yet to see a single recent showroom pic of a CT over the past few days with a class IV receiver hitch even installed - that's pretty telling itself with regard to the who this vehicle is being marketed to for release on 11/30.

my position is, if we say things that "the media" will rip apart....

We are not hear to worry about "what media will say".
That's just silly - no-one gives two sh*ts about what we post here, other than a few dozen folks who frequent this forum.

like expecting the cybertruck to have 500 miles or even 400.. and having the real numbers come out to maybe 320-350

Expectations are driven 100% by Tesla's own prior pronouncements.
If you think Tesla wasn't serious, or Tesla was kidding, or Tesla was lying, then do feel free to state your case.

... everyone that rips on Tesla will use this against us...

Who exactly is "us", per your definition?
"We" are Tesla vehicle owners, and/or CT reservation holders.
There are things that we like about the CT's functions and Tesla service, and there are things that we legitimately dislike. Holding company accountable for delivery on its feature commitments and service shortcomings improves the product and service, which is very much in our interest.

If you care about something other than what's best for the current and future Tesla vehicle owners' experience, then you are doing something irrational.

a

We are not hear to worry about "what media will say".
That's just silly - no-one gives two sh*ts about what we post here, other than a few dozen folks who frequent this forum.

Expectations are driven 100% by Tesla's own prior pronouncements.
If you think Tesla wasn't serious, or Tesla was kidding, or Tesla was lying, then do feel free to state your case.

Who exactly is "us", per your definition?
"We" are Tesla vehicle owners, and/or CT reservation holders.
There are things that we like about the CT's functions and Tesla service, and there are things that we legitimately dislike. Holding company accountable for delivery on its feature commitments and service shortcomings improves the product and service, which is very much in our interest.

If you care about something other than what's best for the current and future Tesla vehicle owners' experience, then you are doing something irrational.

a
uhh.. yeah bro.. you are nuts if you think other peoples perceptions don't matter. when unofficial PR people like Sawyer go on and say its gonna have 500 miles and it absolutely doesn't. we are shooting ourselves in the feet. or like elon puts it. digging our own grave. and when I say us I mean people that are diehard for the mission and considering you still have an ice car im happy to remove you from the US mention.

Reactions: jebinc
uhh.. yeah bro.. you are nuts if you think other peoples perceptions don't matter. when unofficial PR people like Sawyer go on and say its gonna have 500 miles and it absolutely doesn't. we are shooting ourselves in the feet. or like elon puts it. digging our own grave.
What "other peoples"?
WhoTF is Sawyer, and why do you care about what he/she/it says?

and when I say us I mean people that are diehard for the mission

What mission is that?
You think you are on some kind of a "mission"? From God, I suppose?

The bulk of us here are just vehicle owners helping each other out. Making sense of CT's competitive value proposition, or lack thereof.

and considering you still have an ice car im happy to remove you from the US mention.
1700677885777.png

Thanks

Considering the Silverado EV WT3 is already rolling out with 450 miles of range - with encouraging towing videos online from reviewers - I'd say the competition is already here. I have yet to see a single recent showroom pic of a CT over the past few days with a class IV receiver hitch even installed - that's pretty telling itself with regard to the who this vehicle is being marketed to for release on 11/30.
It's not "telling" it's "speculation", there's a difference, feelings != facts. Let's wait for the facts.

Remember, Teslas has to have a truck within that tax credit range, they will have to nerf a trim.

Where can I buy a Silverado EV WT3?

It's not "telling" it's "speculation", there's a difference, feelings != facts. Let's wait for the facts.

Remember, Teslas has to have a truck within that tax credit range, they will have to nerf a trim.

You can't. (buy a Silverado, I mean)

I also agree that at least 1 of the trims will be in the tax credit range, even though Tesla still hasn't submitted to the IRS that any CTs for 2024 qualify.

Reactions: GSP
You can't. (buy a Silverado, I mean)

Right.

I've posted this a few times but I think it's going to end up being true, speculation of course. We know that there is a cell shortage. Tesla obviously knows it too. They also know that they are going to sell every single CT they make in the first two years (even with reservation pruning). They have no motivation right now to release a 500 mile truck. However, once we see volume from any competitor at that range, they will have to answer in kind. We really need the competition to ramp up and get going, it will only make everything better.

I'm really hoping I'm wrong and we see a 450m truck at launch and it puts the other manufacturers in "oh *sugar*" mode.

• Disagree
Reactions: GSP and TessP100D

Um, GM delivered 18 Silverado EV WT3's to real customers in Q2 2023 according to their public records - employees have been using the WT3s for months now. Delivery is delivery, last time I checked, that's more than the number of CTs delivered to end customers. According to the rumor mill, Tesla will deliver 10 CTs on 11/30 - all to employees (not customers). So yes, Silverado EVs are here now - maybe not in large numbers - but it's going to ramp up quickly over the next year or so. Either way, the competition is already here.

Um, GM delivered 18 Silverado EV WT3's to real customers in Q2 2023 according to their public records - employees have been using the WT3s for months now. Delivery is delivery, last time I checked, that's more than the number of CTs delivered to end customers. According to the rumor mill, Tesla will deliver 10 CTs on 11/30 - all to employees (not customers). So yes, Silverado EVs are here now - maybe not in large numbers - but it's going to ramp up quickly over the next year or so. Either way, the competition is already here.
A whole 18? That's not a benchmark, it's advertising.

Edit: Still can't seem to find one I can buy.

• Disagree
Can you find a new CT to buy? Try doing that for the next two years - good luck. At least GM and Ford announced their EV pickups and have actually started delivering them within a reasonable amount of time, unlike Tesla.
Nope, waiting for my number to come up, but that’s my point … once these trucks are mass produced the competition will heat up and we’ll start seeing 500 mile trucks from everybody.

Actually the WT3 model is only 350 mile. The RST model at 105k will do 400 but your story sounds more impressive with your numbers.

• Informative
Tesla is pragmatically sticking to a medium range CT variant for launch; that makes perfect sense with a huge order backlog to fulfill.

What I'm actually more curious about at this point is what is the maximum range, battery size, and charging curve that the Cybertruck platform can support as designed today. Presumably Tesla has built and tested this. With 4680 cells and the absolute biggest pack they can fit in this thing, can it hold 200kwh? 250kwh?

For reference, Rivian says 410 miles range out of a 180 kwh pack. CT platform should be capable of a fair bit more than that imo

my position is, if we say things that "the media" will rip apart.... like expecting the cybertruck to have 500 miles or even 400.. and having the real numbers come out to maybe 320-350 ... everyone that rips on Tesla will use this against us... so maybe the YouTubers should stop expecting the impossible so general consumers have more realistic expectations?
Is it YouTubers or Musk that sets the unrealistic expectations?

• Love
Reactions: GSP and Evee