Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 to 3 years ago youtubers were talking about how the Cybertruck would out offroad a Jeep and the Ford Raptor. Some even talked about how the Cybertruck would tow the same weight and be a better tow vehicle than an F 250 and the Truck would have better range than an F150 gas Truck. Over the past year a lot these people have been silent on the Cybertruck. Even the Cybertruck Guy hasn't made a video on the Cybertruck in a long time.

2 to 3 years ago youtubers were talking about how the Cybertruck would out offroad a Jeep and the Ford Raptor. Some even talked about how the Cybertruck would tow the same weight and be a better tow vehicle than an F 250 and the Truck would have better range than an F150 gas Truck. Over the past year a lot these people have been silent on the Cybertruck. Even the Cybertruck Guy hasn't made a video on the Cybertruck in a long time.
Who is the fool, those saying foolish things or those believing them?

There are YouTubers that think the WWE is real. What’s your point. If you choose to believe that’s on the viewer.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I didn't believe a lot of it. But I'm not the one posting articles and videos of how great the Cybertruck will be in every area of Truck metrics. Musk has stated that the top of the line Truck would have a 500 mile range and tow 14k. Musk also stated the Truck would have Armour Glass among other things about the Truck. Millions of people must have believed that he could deliver the Truck he said he would deliver.

Reactions: TessP100D
Teslas whole business model is to over promise and under deliver. Of course those pipedream capabilities were never going to happen
So far, with the exception of irrelevant timelines and, perhaps FSD, their history has been filled with promising a lot, then delivering even more. Some of us actual technology pioneers realized that FSD wasn't going to be as easy as its pundits thought but, then, when you leave technology development to a bunch of software geeks who have few real-world skills and experiences, you have to listen to the tech details, not their silly promises.
Sure, that may change but . . .

So far, with the exception of irrelevant timelines and, perhaps FSD, their history has been filled with promising a lot, then delivering even more. Some of us actual technology pioneers realized that FSD wasn't going to be as easy as its pundits thought but, then, when you leave technology development to a bunch of software geeks who have few real-world skills and experiences, you have to listen to the tech details, not their silly promises.
Sure, that may change but . . .
When have they actually delivered on their promises?

When have they actually delivered on their promises?
Let's see. They delivered on the following promises:
1) the Roadster despite all predictions of doom
2) that they would honor the Roadster prices they had promised
3) that the Roadster would last 5 years or 100,000 miles (not actually a promise, just a hope - and they were clear about that)
4) A competitive car in every category they enteres
5) the Model S and it was the 1st unanimous R&T CoTY
6) the Model S blew away all other cars in safety, efficiency, ecology, and later acceleration
6) 40 KWh Model S's, even though few ordered them
8) an affordable car
9) the Model Y was the head turner promised (albeit with some hiccups)
10) the Model 3 was the most popular consumer product ever through pre-orders
11) $35K Model 3
12) the Model Y has the highest sales in many places in the world
13) Supercharging
14) High gross margins
15) profitability
16) a new car company (after firing Eberhard, when we Roadster reservation holders demand it of Musk, he actually invited us to San Carlos and personally promised he still would carry out Martin's promises -- he did)
17) great stock value
18) better cars than when we bought them due to software upgrades
19) energy storage for our homes
20) reusable rockets
21) largest rocket
22) global broadband satellite connectivity at reasonable prices with reasonable equipment
23) that he would reward 1st day line-waiters for the Model 3
24) Full Unlimited Supercharging for Life
. . . shall I continue?

Other than the 2 I already mentioned, what promises have they not delivered on? Note that, other than timeline, which has always been off, progress is still being made and he is still funding development on pretty much everything he has promised.

I still want range. In 2012, I didn't buy a Nissan Leaf, but instead, I purchased Tesla because of the range.

I now bought Lucid with a 516-mile range EV, and I drove 396.6 miles before I stopped at a charging station, and I still have 11% or 60 miles left.

Even 516 doesn't give me 516. It means I could drive 396.6+60= 456.6 miles only instead. That's almost 60 miles less!

Thus, even with a 500-mile Cybertruck. It's not actually 500 even when it's listed so.

2kvKO4S.jpg
What's that "smooth" on the display?

Let's see. They delivered on the following promises:
1) the Roadster despite all predictions of doom
2) that they would honor the Roadster prices they had promised
3) that the Roadster would last 5 years or 100,000 miles (not actually a promise, just a hope - and they were clear about that)
4) A competitive car in every category they enteres
5) the Model S and it was the 1st unanimous R&T CoTY
6) the Model S blew away all other cars in safety, efficiency, ecology, and later acceleration
6) 40 KWh Model S's, even though few ordered them
8) an affordable car
9) the Model Y was the head turner promised (albeit with some hiccups)
10) the Model 3 was the most popular consumer product ever through pre-orders
11) $35K Model 3
12) the Model Y has the highest sales in many places in the world
13) Supercharging
14) High gross margins
15) profitability
16) a new car company (after firing Eberhard, when we Roadster reservation holders demand it of Musk, he actually invited us to San Carlos and personally promised he still would carry out Martin's promises -- he did)
17) great stock value
18) better cars than when we bought them due to software upgrades
19) energy storage for our homes
20) reusable rockets
21) largest rocket
22) global broadband satellite connectivity at reasonable prices with reasonable equipment
23) that he would reward 1st day line-waiters for the Model 3
24) Full Unlimited Supercharging for Life
. . . shall I continue?

Other than the 2 I already mentioned, what promises have they not delivered on? Note that, other than timeline, which has always been off, progress is still being made and he is still funding development on pretty much everything he has promised.
Most of those are not promises or achievements of other companies

Range: No Tesla hits promised range
Autopilot / FSD: works like absolute *sugar*
Tesla vision parity: still hasn’t happened
P85: Didn’t make promised power
35k Model 3: Nope
Plaid plus: Canceled (probably was never possible)
Roadster 2: Vaporware
200 mph Plaid: Not without $20k track package (initial promise was just with appropriate tires)
quality improvements: Lol
Model S/X Center horn: Straight up lie by Elon
4680 Batteries: Absolute junk, nowhere near the claimed performance / benefits
Tesla Semi: Still not in mass production
Cybertruck: We already know the exoskeleton was a lie. And soon we’ll find out about everything else.

That’s off the top of my head during my last hour of work. I’m sure others can bring up many more examples

Most of those are not promises or achievements of other companies

Range: No Tesla hits promised range
Autopilot / FSD: works like absolute *sugar*
Tesla vision parity: still hasn’t happened
P85: Didn’t make promised power
35k Model 3: Nope
Plaid plus: Canceled (probably was never possible)
Roadster 2: Vaporware
200 mph Plaid: Not without $20k track package (initial promise was just with appropriate tires)
quality improvements: Lol
Model S/X Center horn: Straight up lie by Elon
4680 Batteries: Absolute junk, nowhere near the claimed performance / benefits
Tesla Semi: Still not in mass production
Cybertruck: We already know the exoskeleton was a lie. And soon we’ll find out about everything else.

That’s off the top of my head during my last hour of work. I’m sure others can bring up many more examples
Lets' be a bit less subjective and provide specific numbers or places where these things were promised.
I won't waste my time on most of them but will rebut 2 of them:
a) Range: I can and have very easily exceeded any stated range, simply by driving the EPA profile or slower. I'll be happy to agree upon a time and place and can show it. You may not like the government standard but Tesla meets or exceeds it.
b) $35K Model 3: a friend/colleague of mine spent $35K on a brand new Model 3 from Tesla. He was determined and did. It was black, standard range, and had no sort of autopilot. He had to wait about 2 years longer than others but it did arrive exactly as promised.
The rest are either nonsense, irrelevant, or still in (funded) development.
I could find a time when all of the things I listed had not been completed and complained as well.

Lets' be a bit less subjective and provide specific numbers or places where these things were promised.
I won't waste my time on most of them but will rebut 2 of them:
a) Range: I can and have very easily exceeded any stated range, simply by driving the EPA profile or slower. I'll be happy to agree upon a time and place and can show it. You may not like the government standard but Tesla meets or exceeds it.
b) $35K Model 3: a friend/colleague of mine spent $35K on a brand new Model 3 from Tesla. He was determined and did. It was black, standard range, and had no sort of autopilot. He had to wait about 2 years longer than others but it did arrive exactly as promised.
The rest are either nonsense, irrelevant, or still in (funded) development.
I could find a time when all of the things I listed had not been completed and complained as well.

a) How many times have you been cursed off the road?

b) Was that $35k after destination or before? Did he opt for the + upgrade after being stripped of all features?

Reactions: TessP100D
What's that "smooth" on the display?
To reduce power to prevent breaking my neck due to the acceleration force.

But the ride is really smoother than my Model S, X, and 3. Its suspension is spring/coil but is much smoother than Model S' and X's air suspension. I could manually steer a sharp curve at 50MPH that has a posted 30MPH sign but my S, X and 3 could not...

Reactions: zoomer0056
a) How many times have you been cursed off the road?

b) Was that $35k after destination or before? Did he opt for the + upgrade after being stripped of all features?
a) Who said I drove at the EPA schedule very often? Only that I can and have. FWIW, the only time I do it is when I'm in an area without charging infrastructure, another place where Tesla has over-delivered since those areas are getting more and more scarce. There weren't many other drivers on those roads to care. If one is not happy with the EPA range, that, should be taken up with the EPA, not Tesla or me. I don't really care what the EPA is, only what I actually get, which, is better with Teslas than any other vehicle I have ever owned or would want to own.

b) $35K was the car price that he paid. He was stubborn and did not opt for the + upgrade or other features. I don't know about destination and I'm sure the governor got a bit of sales tax over that price as well.

Thanks for being ridiculously argumentative and biased since those same questions and answers would apply to the rest of the approximately 1 billion light vehicles sold to consumers over the past several decades. If that's the best you can come up with, I feel even more confident that Tesla still has integrity.

a) Who said I drove at the EPA schedule very often? Only that I can and have. FWIW, the only time I do it is when I'm in an area without charging infrastructure, another place where Tesla has over-delivered since those areas are getting more and more scarce. There weren't many other drivers on those roads to care. If one is not happy with the EPA range, that, should be taken up with the EPA, not Tesla or me. I don't really care what the EPA is, only what I actually get, which, is better with Teslas than any other vehicle I have ever owned or would want to own.

b) $35K was the car price that he paid. He was stubborn and did not opt for the + upgrade or other features. I don't know about destination and I'm sure the governor got a bit of sales tax over that price as well.

Thanks for being ridiculously argumentative and biased since those same questions and answers would apply to the rest of the approximately 1 billion light vehicles sold to consumers over the past several decades. If that's the best you can come up with, I feel even more confident that Tesla still has integrity.

Except no other brand fanboys try to defend the brand from broken promises.

Thanks for being ridiculously fan boys and biased, I feel more confident that Tesla will remain stagnant because fan boys are content with what comes out of the their PR department(YT/Twatter bloggers).

Countless test have proven Tesla doesn’t meet their stated range but you know “Paid Big Oil Shills”