Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5000 Miles In - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I just passed the 5000 mile mark since I picked up my P85 4 months ago, I thought I'd share my thoughts on how it's been treating me.

The Good:
  • I LOVE LOVE LOVE not having to ever go to the gas station. I had a NEMA 14-50 installed at home to use the UMC and my work has a partnership with ChargePoint, so I am actually getting about 80% of my non-roadtrip charges done 100% for free! I am averaging 364Wh/mi, and have a range mode range of 258 @ 34000 miles.
  • The performance is ridiculous. I have scared literally every person who has come in my car - in a straight line!
  • It's roomy! We've done multiple roadtrips with me, my wife, 2 kids, dog, luggage, stroller, and more - all with plenty of room, and while not driving a minivan or a tank of an SUV.
  • The service center has been great. Yes, I've had a few problems that will fall under "The Bad" - but each and every one has been taken care of quickly and with great service. Oh, and I have been getting cool cars as loaners - can't beat that.
  • Superchargers keep popping up! Since I got my car, Tesla's added one in Houston, Denton, and Amarillo! Just need one to help me get down to Corpus and back + some along I-10 if I ever want to drive to California that way and we'll be golden.

The Bad:
  • The CPO refurbishment process didn't catch some things they really should have, which have caused 3 trips to the SC in the first 3 months. From a randomly-not-opening charge port, to a broken USB, and others in between.
  • The car has started making a loud whine when accelerating quickly. If you ever hooked up an amplifier to your car and didn't ground it properly, you'll know the sound I'm talking about. Some people say it sounds like a space-ship (cool), but it just detracts from the silence I love about the car.

The Ugly:
  • I hit a pothole a while back and it hurt the car. There are a couple of things that made it ugly:

• Unlike a "normal" car, the closest repair place authorized to work on the Tesla was >100 miles away, which lead to a 4 hour wait for a Tow-Truck willing to come get us.
  • My insurance company (GEICO) was great - but they only had one adjuster who knew how to assess Tesla's, leading to a longer wait for approvals, and therefore the work to start.
  • According to the repair shop, due to parts delays, 9 hours of labor took a month (edit: 29 days - felt like longer!!) to complete.

And now, since pictures are always fun - here are some of our adventures!
My new car in the foreground saying bye to my old Truck in the background on pickup day!
IMG_5507.JPG

My kids loved the loaner we had that included the third row seats. They're the only thing I feel like I missed out on getting in my car.
IMG_6345.JPG

The exciting announcement that v7 was about to install!
IMG_6914.JPG

It always amazes me how quickly the car charges on the supercharger. The feature that tells me how much longer it is until I can continue on to the next one is great as well!
IMG_6952.PNG

Finally being loaded onto the truck after 4 hours waiting at the edge of Texas/Louisiana.
IMG_7062.JPG

Last edited:
My kids loved the loaner we had that included the third row seats. They're the only thing I feel like I missed out on getting in my car.

Every kid is different, but my kids LOVED the rear seats during the test drive. Which made me order them. The novelty wore off in a few weeks, and now they never want to sit back there. They really don't like it (well my daughter doesn't, and my son does whatever my daughter says, heh). In the summer, it's hot back there with lack of airflow. And yes, I have heat reducing tints and the Tesla rear-sunshade.

Recently, I've asked them to sit back there a few times when we had a full car (7 people), but on a normal daily basis, they refuse. They just take up the storage room under the floor now.

Sorry to hear about your CPO experience. I am picking up my CPO car this weekend. I am concerned about the reconditioning as I have only seen pictures of the car. But I have a long list of items that I am going to check before I leave Fremont. I am going to add the USB port to the list - did not have that one. Fortunately, I have a SC about 40 minutes away, and in SoCal, that's just around the corner. I have asked my Tesla CPO rep for a list of exactly what is checked to certify and prepare a car - but it does not look like they are willing to share that document. Overall, I am optimistic that the car will be pristine and that Tesla will take care of any issues.

Overall, I am optimistic that the car will be pristine and that Tesla will take care of any issues.
I'm sure they will - my SC has been great for me. I do find it a little strange that they don't provide the list of what's checked for CPO, as every other car company has their "191 point checks" they call out. Enjoy your new car!

- - - Updated - - -

Recently, I've asked them to sit back there a few times when we had a full car (7 people), but on a normal daily basis, they refuse. They just take up the storage room under the floor now.

That storage room is useful! I keep my 14-50 extension cord, tire refill kit, and DVD player under there. My buddy has the rear seats in his S85 - maybe he'll trade me for a week or two so I can try the seats and he can have the power!

Sorry to hear about your CPO experience. I am picking up my CPO car this weekend. I am concerned about the reconditioning as I have only seen pictures of the car. But I have a long list of items that I am going to check before I leave Fremont. I am going to add the USB port to the list - did not have that one. Fortunately, I have a SC about 40 minutes away, and in SoCal, that's just around the corner. I have asked my Tesla CPO rep for a list of exactly what is checked to certify and prepare a car - but it does not look like they are willing to share that document. Overall, I am optimistic that the car will be pristine and that Tesla will take care of any issues.

Are you driving from Fremont back to Simi Valley? Enjoy your road trip.

Yes, my wife and I are going to be taking the tour, finishing up any paperwork and taking a nice ride down the 101, with a stop in Atascadero for charging/lunch....This has been a long week. It seems like it is taking forever to get to Saturday. Can't wait until I get up there and get the car. I have wanted one for quite a while

We're in pretty much the same situation with our car. CPO P85, picked up on the last Saturday of June of 2015. We've gone about 6,000 miles with it so far, including a trip to the Oregon coast in our first week of ownership (about 1200 miles) as well as a 2500 mile trip to Utah and back at the end of October.

In that time, our car has spent 2 consecutive days at the Service Center (Tigard, which is 3.5 hours from where we live). We had an OTA update not take, so Tesla replaced the entire center console. While the car was there, we let them do all the other warranty stuff as well: they replaced interior trim pieces, new dash vents, did the battery contactor update and replaced the driver's door panel which had scuffs on it from the previous owner. We did have an issue with 2 bent 21" wheels and a ruined rear tire (Tesla claims we hit something, we know we didn't hit anything), but Tesla offered us a more than fair deal to resolve, so we took it, recognizing it was our word against theirs.

Its been 2.5 months since our last service center visit, the car has been just fine. It has a few niggling things that I'll mention to them the next time we're up there, but otherwise, the car has been fantastic.