Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$5000 rebate for NJ Electric Vehicle signed into law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like with recent price change, you cannot get both 20" wheel upgrade and white interior upgrade to get $5k tax credit
Bith options will make msrp at over 55k. So need to remove 20" wheels in order to credit
Wondering if Tesla will make exception for NJ to be able to purchase the car then offer the wheel upgrade after purchase for the same price.

Are we sure price for NJ Rebate is exclusive of taxes (not an issue) and fees? The way I have Y configured is base $52,990 plus red paint $2,000 which yields $54,990. Just $10 below threshold. Can always add self driving later, change wheels later, can't really change paint after the fact. Sticking with black seating as that would throw $ over the $55K limit.

Hi, new here.
Anybody got the scoop if this $5000 rebate/credit thing is retroactively applied to the law sign on January 17. Or is waiting till July the only way to go. I'm ready to buy now. My current lease is due back soon. Been obsessing over this, started shopping for model 3 before I even found out about the NJ rebate.

This got me excited when I saw it on Teslas website, but was gone the next morning. Screenshot from the 29th
Screenshot_20200129-220531.png
Screenshot_20200129-230420.png

I saw the credit show up on Tesla website but was removed. When I asked about it tesla customer service say the credit will go into effect only in July and will be applicable for vehicles going forward from then

I saw the credit show up on Tesla website but was removed. When I asked about it tesla customer service say the credit will go into effect only in July and will be applicable for vehicles going forward from then

I think no one knows for sure, but Tesla likely has a better idea than the general public. NJ's website states that BPU will implement the program "by July 2020". Given that it's a 10 year program I'd be surprised if they allow it to be applied retroactively but that doesn't mean it won't be in place before July, or after knowing how slowly these agencies can operate.

However, the current pricing of the "stealth" at the full performance price makes no sense to me. Someone find me a person who is willing to drop the extra $$ on the P3D and doesnt want the wheels, upgraded brakes, suspension, etc. Especially when this was previously a $2k upgrade over LRAWD, not $8k. Our roads in general can be shitty especially in the winter, but grabbing a second set of winter wheels/tires is no big deal.

Really hoping this doesn't kill my hopes of getting the P3D- with the rebate or potentially lowering the base price by $2k to bring it under the $55k threshold

Last edited:
Your right, I have little Faith that njbpu will have the program out early, Gov things run SLO. But I'm trying to be hopeful!
I think no one knows for sure, but Tesla likely has a better idea than the general public. NJ's website states that BPU will implement the program "by July 2020". Given that it's a 10 year program I'd be surprised if they allow it to be applied retroactively but that doesn't mean it won't be in place before July, or after knowing how slowly these agencies can operate.

However, the current pricing of the "stealth" at the full performance price makes no sense to me. Someone find me a person who is willing to drop the extra $$ on the P3D and doesnt want the wheels, upgraded brakes, suspension, etc. Especially when this was previously a $2k upgrade over LRAWD, not $8k. Our roads in general can be shitty especially in the winter, but grabbing a second set of winter wheels/tires is no big deal.

Really hoping this doesn't kill my hopes of getting the P3D- with the rebate or potentially lowering the base price by $2k to bring it under the $55k threshold

Your right, I have little Faith that njbpu will have the program out early, Gov things run SLO. But I'm trying to be hopeful!

I reached out to BPU, their response:

"Thank you for reaching out regarding the signing of S2252, which authorizes the NJBPU to develop and implement the Electric Vehicle Incentive Program of New Jersey. At this time, the Program is under development and will be released in the coming months. It is yet to be determined if a retroactive incentive will be available for buyers who purchase EVs and/or charging equipment prior to the program launch. Please stay tuned for more details.

Please feel free to reach out to us if we can be of any additional assistance."

Reactions: lensovet
I reached out to BPU, their response:

"Thank you for reaching out regarding the signing of S2252, which authorizes the NJBPU to develop and implement the Electric Vehicle Incentive Program of New Jersey. At this time, the Program is under development and will be released in the coming months. It is yet to be determined if a retroactive incentive will be available for buyers who purchase EVs and/or charging equipment prior to the program launch. Please stay tuned for more details.

Please feel free to reach out to us if we can be of any additional assistance."

I don't see how they have a choice. From Section 2 of S2252 [effective date of P.L. was Jan 17]. Now if they want to go back to an earlier date than January 17th, that's a different story.

“Eligible vehicle” means a new light duty plug-in electric vehicle, with an MSRP of below $55,000, purchased or leased after the effective date of P.L. , c. (C. ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill) and registered in New Jersey.

I don't see how they have a choice. From Section 2 of S2252 [effective date of P.L. was Jan 17]. Now if they want to go back to an earlier date than January 17th, that's a different story.

“Eligible vehicle” means a new light duty plug-in electric vehicle, with an MSRP of below $55,000, purchased or leased after the effective date of P.L. , c. (C. ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill) and registered in New Jersey.

Sorry guys, still a forum newbie here, haven't figured out how to edit my posts yet :-( Would have added the following to my post above.

Section 4 of the bill is where BPU is required to set up the incentive program . Paragraph C of this Section requires them to pay out for an eligible vehicle...Again, in reading the law, I don't see how they have any choice. While they may not want to pay out until the program is set up, from a legal perspective it reads as if they have to.

c. (1) Any incentive offered pursuant to this section shall take the form of a one-time payment to the purchaser or lessee of an eligible vehicle.

Sorry guys, still a forum newbie here, haven't figured out how to edit my posts yet :-( Would have added the following to my post above.

Section 4 of the bill is where BPU is required to set up the incentive program . Paragraph C of this Section requires them to pay out for an eligible vehicle...Again, in reading the law, I don't see how they have any choice. While they may not want to pay out until the program is set up, from a legal perspective it reads as if they have to.

c. (1) Any incentive offered pursuant to this section shall take the form of a one-time payment to the purchaser or lessee of an eligible vehicle.

Interesting, but would you really want to fight with them about this? Would likely need a lawyer, and not really worth it considering you can just wait. I have no immediate need other than my own wants to get a P3D, but it seems like the smart decision is to wait. I saw a "new" 2019 on EV-CPO the other day P3D+ for $51k out in Minnesota. If I knew for sure the $5k would be retroactive I would have grabbed it immediately. That said, I'm still thinking I'll be better off finding a deal on an 18 or 19 used P3D with FSD for around $50-52k. Even if they lower the stealth option back down sub 55k I'd still be coming out ahead with the FSD. That's my thought process at least

I was also thinking the same, although it would be nice to have confirmation of this directly from them or someone who knows.

Agree it probably not worth a fight and lawyer fees.

Interesting, but would you really want to fight with them about this? Would likely need a lawyer, and not really worth it considering you can just wait. I have no immediate need other than my own wants to get a P3D, but it seems like the smart decision is to wait. I saw a "new" 2019 on EV-CPO the other day P3D+ for $51k out in Minnesota. If I knew for sure the $5k would be retroactive I would have grabbed it immediately. That said, I'm still thinking I'll be better off finding a deal on an 18 or 19 used P3D with FSD for around $50-52k. Even if they lower the stealth option back down sub 55k I'd still be coming out ahead with the FSD. That's my thought process at least

I agree with the last few posters. The BPU doesn't have a choice yet trying to sue the state government for these funds will likely cause more harm than good. Maybe if people continue to send emails and phone calls to NJBPU that might push them to move a little quicker?

Its annoying because I've been saving for over 6 months to purchase my M3 and now that Im ready I find out I might have to wait another 6 months LOL oh well thats life.