Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$5000 rebate for NJ Electric Vehicle signed into law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this email this morning - This is great news, but kicking myself i didnt grab the $51k P3D+ 2019 leftover out in minnesota from tesla...hopefully can find another steal like that, but if not praying the stealth model comes back down to earth

What is the eastern pool compliance inventory?

In the CARB ZEV credit system you have to comply for each participating state.

But for a long time the CARB ZEV credits could "travel". In effect, that meant for compliance manufacturers focused on California as the large number of sales there would cover all states.

For the past couple of years they don't travel, but rather than truly having to comply on a state-by-state basis, the states are in regional pools. Credits earned in any state in the pool can be used to comply with any individual state.

Hence, the available inventory will be pushed to a state with the largest incentives.

For example, Kia wasn't going to send Niro EV inventory to Maine, instead just to Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island, but then Maine introduced a $2k BEV incentive and, as if by magic, inventory appeared.

To me, all state incentives are doing is making it easier for manufacturers to meet the CARB ZEV mandates. Cut out the incentives, and you'd see higher rebates.

• Informative
Reactions: TJtv
In the CARB ZEV credit system you have to comply for each participating state.

But for a long time the CARB ZEV credits could "travel". In effect, that meant for compliance manufacturers focused on California as the large number of sales there would cover all states.

For the past couple of years they don't travel, but rather than truly having to comply on a state-by-state basis, the states are in regional pools. Credits earned in any state in the pool can be used to comply with any individual state.

Hence, the available inventory will be pushed to a state with the largest incentives.

For example, Kia wasn't going to send Niro EV inventory to Maine, instead just to Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island, but then Maine introduced a $2k BEV incentive and, as if by magic, inventory appeared.

To me, all state incentives are doing is making it easier for manufacturers to meet the CARB ZEV mandates. Cut out the incentives, and you'd see higher rebates.

Thanks for the explanation, very informative. But this doesn't really affect Tesla at all does it?

I reached out to my local SA to see if there was anything that can be done to get my P3D under 55k, as I saw a leftover 2019 on EV-CPO for $51k that got snagged quickly last week. He's pretty useless in general, but told me to reach out to used, which made no sense but when discussing with the used SA he gave me this little snippet:

I would not be surprised if we see the stealth come back in its new form! Please be sure to follow up with your new car sales person, and remind them to keep looking for a stealth, as rebates are only on new cars!

Hopefully that becomes true, but in the meantime I'll be scouring and searching for a sub $55k P3D

Reactions: EV-CPO
With the news that the rebate is retroactive from Jan 17. I went ahead and ordered M3 LR. Last night. We'll see how this works out. Taking to my SA he said Tesla doesn't plan to take rebate at delivery until after July or later depending when the state irons out the details.

Sorry guys, still a forum newbie here, haven't figured out how to edit my posts yet :-( Would have added the following to my post above.

Section 4 of the bill is where BPU is required to set up the incentive program . Paragraph C of this Section requires them to pay out for an eligible vehicle...Again, in reading the law, I don't see how they have any choice. While they may not want to pay out until the program is set up, from a legal perspective it reads as if they have to.

c. (1) Any incentive offered pursuant to this section shall take the form of a one-time payment to the purchaser or lessee of an eligible vehicle.

Since you seem to be pretty familiar with the bill I thought it'd be worth asking this question - what would qualify as the MSRP of the vehicle? For example, a P3D+ runs $56,990 (is this MSRP?) but oftentimes, especially when stock is a bit fuller than now you can find them for under $55k. Would that then qualify, or since it's technically a discount and the sale price, not MSRP? I feel like buying one now, if I could find it for less than $55k would open myself up to a *sugar* ton of issues expecting the $5k rebate.

If that's the case than I'd be far better waiting for the stealth to come back down to earth or scouring the used market. I missed out on a 2019 P3D+ for $47,800 last night - damn thing sold in 10 minutes after I got the notification from EV-CPO.

Do you plan to wait till after July when the program rolls out to dealers? It might make a difference.
Any way I googled the wording of MSRP and retail and found this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200213-210200~2.png
    Screenshot_20200213-210200~2.png
    272.2 KB · Views: 70
If I read that right, it looks like they're noting that the rebate exists, but not yet offering it up front. Instead they're calculating it as an after-purchase savings, like the savings on buying gasoline. You'd still have to pay full price and then file for the money back later this year. (As opposed to waiting until the rebate formally launches, when they'll be required by law to give you the rebate immediately if you want it.)

If I read that right, it looks like they're noting that the rebate exists, but not yet offering it up front. Instead they're calculating it as an after-purchase savings, like the savings on buying gasoline. You'd still have to pay full price and then file for the money back later this year. (As opposed to waiting until the rebate formally launches, when they'll be required by law to give you the rebate immediately if you want it.)

Ahh, good point could be.

I'm not sure how to handle this, but I saw a deal pop up on a black/black stealth last night for $53k so I jumped on it and put the $100 deposit.

After delivery and all the fees I'm at $54,290, seemingly under the 55k threshold. I need to get in touch with someone to clear up the MSRP vs sale price differences and how the rebate will be affected. I'll gladly cancel this if the $5k won't apply and go back to the drawing board, but really hopeful that I'll qualify.

I'm not sure how to handle this, but I saw a deal pop up on a black/black stealth last night for $53k so I jumped on it and put the $100 deposit.

After delivery and all the fees I'm at $54,290, seemingly under the 55k threshold. I need to get in touch with someone to clear up the MSRP vs sale price differences and how the rebate will be affected. I'll gladly cancel this if the $5k won't apply and go back to the drawing board, but really hopeful that I'll qualify.
I don’t know why people are so confused by this. MSRP is the price on the window sticker, which is basically base price + options. It does not include sales tax (not that it matters for NJ), it does not include any discounts or incentives, and it has nothing to do with the sale price either (though again for new Teslas this is mostly moot). From my reading of stuff online, it does not include the doc fee either.

in the screenshot above, the MSRP would be 50,990, also listed as the purchase price. With a traditional dealer, the purchase price would typically be below the MSRP.