Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$5000 rebate for NJ Electric Vehicle signed into law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, just resurrecting this thread, I picked up my Model Y end of September and then applied for the rebate. I just got an email on Friday saying my application was incomplete. They did not like the purchase/lease agreement document for some reason. I uploaded the whole signed document that I got from my SA, which included NJ title and registration. The only other document I can find is on my Tesla Account there is a lease purchase agreement (4 pages) but this does not have my physical signature but an electronic one. Not sure if this is what they are looking for? What did others upload for the purchase/lease agreement, wondering if mine is somehow incomplete.
Thanks
Kay

Does anyone know about tax filing implications? Couldn't find any info - is this 5k check taxable income or it's tax free? Just curious what's the real value 5k or 5k minus federal and/or state tax?

I'm still waiting for mine. It's a rebate on your purchase, so not taxable. I guess if you wrote off your car as a business expense, you'd be obligated to offset the cost by the rebate. Also, they never asked for SSN on the rebate form - just driver's license, so I don't know how the IRS would know that you got it.

I'm still waiting for mine. It's a rebate on your purchase, so not taxable. I guess if you wrote off your car as a business expense, you'd be obligated to offset the cost by the rebate. Also, they never asked for SSN on the rebate form - just driver's license, so I don't know how the IRS would know that you got it.

Yes, as Dave said, it's not taxable income, just a rebate. As he also mentioned, if you're using the vehicle as a business expense, you would have to reduce the purchase price by the amount of the rebate before calculating depreciation.

I applied Sept. 6, was approved Sept. 30 and was told 30 days to get a check. Still no check today (Nov. 9), so I wrote to follow up. To their credit, they emailed right back. And I quote:

Thank you for your email. I apologize for the delays. We were initially informed that it would be 30 days from the time of approval pending delays. We have experienced COVID related delays beyond our normal processing times. You will receive an email when the check is mailed.

So, no ETA, but not missing in the wind either.

• Informative
Reactions: MrWattson
I applied the day I took delivery (October) and it took about 5 weeks to get approved. That was 3 weeks ago, so I'm still within the 30 day best-case timeline for the check issuance. I expect it will go much longer based on their guidance: "We typically issue checks within 30 days of application approval. You will receive an email once your check has been placed in the mail. Delays beyond normal processing times may occur."

Hey all,

I picked up my car on Tuesday 12/15 and started the application online. I got an email saying my funds were reserved and to finish the application by submitting the following:

• A complete copy of your executed and signed vehicle lease or purchase agreement. Please include all pages and sections, with your signature and date of purchase or lease visible. Note: Your signature may be on the reverse side of your agreement.
Is this the 'Loan Agreement' in my glovebox online? Since I took express delivery, I did not get any copies of paperwork when I picked up the car.

Thanks!