Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50k miles yr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two thoughts:
"Perfect use" - While I think the car will mostly likely handle this mileage, "Perfect" is an overstatement, in my opinion. The battery ages with each charge/discharge cycle, so using the car in a way that will mean charging more is not "perfect." The negative of battery degradation (which seems to be less than originally anticipated) is offset by the gasoline savings, but "perfect" implies that the battery thrives on this treatment, which it does not.
Free supercharging - Because of the degradation mentioned in my previous point, the last thing that OP should want to do, IMO, is to subject his battery to fast charging frequently. I'd think that babying the battery (not charging to 100%, not supercharging frequently) would be the best recipe for getting a battery that lasts.

OP averages about 200 miles per day (assuming no weekend use in which case it would be less per day). A Model 3 LR goes 300+ miles on a charge, so theoretically, he/she will not need to supercharge very often. Also, the daily cycles are 66% of the battery capacity so not super-hard on the battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Hi
I am close to ordering my model 3 . I drive 50,000 miles yr. the last thing I want is a 5-6 yr loan on a car that is dying . What is the general opinion on how many miles this car can go before the repairs are not worth doing . Thank you in advance.
Which one has the 8 year warranty? Model S still have drive train 8 year warranty?
How long before gas savings pays for the car??
Only you can calculate and decide.

More of a Tesla question than a Model 3 Q, since obviously there isn't enough history to go on.

That's too bad you didn't order before August 1st, you could have had an excuse to pony up the 15K for Performance which would have given you free unlimited supercharging for life... Could have saved up you to $10K over 5 years of ownership and almost pay back the performance. In theory anyway.
$10K will buy me about 77k KwH at off peak time charging (13 cents per KwH).

So that's about 318k miles. Assuming 310 miles per 75 KwH.

In order to break even in 5 years you would need to drive over 63k miles a year.

My take on this is influenced by my experience of my just-ended road trip up to Canada for hiking this summer. I will leave it to others to talk about things like battery life.

Since you drive a lot of miles you will LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE autopilot. Even though you need to remain alert and ready to take over, having the car handle steering and speed 95% of the time on the highway is just amazingly wonderful. It was so relaxing, unlike any other car.

You will wonder why you ever had any doubts.

Hmmmm...stick to a Prius if you commute that much. My 2005 Prius has 435k on it. It won't die. Total cost to keep it running is relatively affordable. Brakes were done at 300k. Hybrid battery at NAPA auto was $1600. It was replaced at 358k. Although the M3 is a cooler car and can theoretically beat a Prius, it is still fairly new.

Hmmmm...stick to a Prius if you commute that much. My 2005 Prius has 435k on it. It won't die. Total cost to keep it running is relatively affordable. Brakes were done at 300k. Hybrid battery at NAPA auto was $1600. It was replaced at 358k. Although the M3 is a cooler car and can theoretically beat a Prius, it is still fairly new.

The Prius is the choice if you want a car with a long record of reliability and longevity. The Model 3 is the choice if you find long drives to be a tiresome chore and you want a car that drives itself most of the time. Also, the Model 3 is way more comfortable to sit in on a long drive. The 8-hour drive from Spokane to Revelstoke via the supercharger in Kelowna in the Model 3 was much nicer than even 3 hours in the Prius, and the 7-hour direct route from Spokane to Revelstoke in the Prius was exhausting. I will never again do a long drive in the Prius if I can use the Model 3 instead.