Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

53 mile First Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery miles and odometer miles were nearly identical for my 53 mile drive traveling at 66 mph.

I set out to drive what Wikipedia thinks is a 38 mile drive around Houston’s 610 loop. The odometer on my phone went from 30 miles to 83 miles.

After about five miles I engaged Autopilot/Autosteer for the first time. Kismet, Kiz for short, seems to like hugging the passenger side markers. She stayed in the lane but definitely to the right. My body was centered in the lane rather than the touchscreen being centered. On the bright side it avoided potholes since everyone else drives a few inches to the left.

Cuts in the cement (parallel to lane markings) didn’t seem to phase her, and when my lane ended she merged over, though seemed indecisive for about a second. When a rather beat up Suburu cut us off she rather quickly braked.

Speed limit was 60mph except on some curved exchanges..and Kiz slowed to 45mph, which was posted speed. This was a little inconvenient since I disagreed with the traffic engineers on their assessment but I guess since she can’t actually think for herself I’ll have to adjust:)

Lane change worked great, and she refused to move with a car about a length or two back in the desired lane.

My only complaint is the hugging the right. Even concrete barriers along the lane marking didn’t faze her. It fazed me and I initiated sleigh bells for a lane change. If anyone knows how to move her a few inches to the left that’d be great.