TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$5k Delivery fee? Really?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SoloRX7, Feb 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Good luck trying to drive it across the Pacific. That car is in Hawaii. It's just to Hawaii and Alaska that it's $5k. I don't think there are too many CPO cars in Alaska.

2. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

What's not understandable is that it's the same $5k whether the car is going from Hawaii to California as to Florida. And it is. We're talking about two things here for the guy that's talking about paying $1,200 even though is picking up at the factory. That's a new or inventory car. When I was considering ordering a car, I asked about getting that fee waived if I picked up at the factory but they said no.

The $2k and $5k charges are for CPO cars that are out of your region. If the car is in your own region, then it $0. I was looking at a CPO in New York, which was going to be $2k. But a car in Tennessee was $0. I'm in Florida and Tennessee is in my region while New York is not. A car from California to Florida would have been the same $2k as from New York, even though New York is half the distance to Florida. Tesla has just decided to average everything out rather than charge based on the actual distance. If the car is in your region, it's $0. If it's out, it's $2k except if it's to Hawaii or Alaska.

• Informative x 1
  3. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

Zip codes beginning with 76 appear to be NJ and/or Virginia. I can see a surcharge for going into NJ just on principle, but Virginia is rather nice.

4. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

They give you 2 options if you don't want to don't want a CPO brought to you

1. you can arrange your own shipping
    2. your can pick up the car free anywhere

5. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I had planned to go and pick up a CPO from New Jersey to save the shipping costs. It made sense financially. But then I regained my senses after seeing what was going on up there with the weather and found a car in my own region. I'm from Florida too.

• Like x 1
  6. suttonlr

suttonlr Member

There is some flat out wrong info being spread in this thread...

I purchased a CPO 11/2016 from Dallas, TX and it was delivered to Austin, TX with zero fee. According to my salesman Brent Seavey there are no delivery fees in state.

Most CPOs out of state had a $2k delivery fee and I've read Hawaii is $5k

Aloha!!! Lol

7. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

How long has it been since you shipped a car? In 2008 that's what I paid for cross-country. In 2011 it was $950. And just this last year it was $1200. All were quoted through the same broker, for open transport, with no special terms. If Tesla is doing covered transport it could easily be $1600 for most long hauls. The fee actually doesn't seem that far off. It might also be partly to discourage people from shipping cars all over the country instead of buying from in region.

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

That may be true for new car sales, including inventory cars, but it isn't true for CPOs. For CPOs Tesla can charge anything they want for delivery fees, or not charge at all.

9. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Here in Fl anything in GA / FL was free on CPO. It was 2k from Texas/Washington.

10. Venomboy

Venomboy Member

I had an inventory car from LA brought to Fremont and they waived the delivery fee. 2 different people at the dealership I ordered from said they don't charge for within California delivery. Another Bay Area dealer told me they could waive the delivery fee for me and said it shouldn't be a problem.

Long story short, it was the wrong car once delivered. They found a similar one in Colorado and wanted to charge me $2500 and wouldn't waive that fee. Turns out the car wasn't so similar and I declined their "offer".

Seems like from reading this thread that it depends who you talk to will determine if they will charge you a fee or not.

A friend of mine bought a Mini Cooper. The one he wanted was in LA. The dealer wanted to charge him $1500 to deliver. My friend refused so they waived the fee.

11. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

It's also no cost up to Tennessee. That's where my CPO came from. It just depends what states are in your region.

• Informative x 1
  12. freefaller1985

That car has been on the cpo site for awhile. I asked my CPO advisor about it and he said it was in Hawaii.

13. Brnz

Brnz Supporting Member

2014 - ~$1800 I think, from Maryland to Bay Area. (new car)
    2016 - ~$1200 I think, from South Bend to Bay Area. (used car)

Both open trailers.

14. skitch23

skitch23 Member

You could always plan a trip to Hawaii and pick it up there then put it on a boat yourself :) It'd probably be cheaper than $5k even if you stayed a week in Hawaii!

15. Max*

Max* Charging

What? Tesla's can't swim? I want my money back!

16. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

The delivery fee should be standard across all CPO cars. It's not the customers problem that Tesla's inventory is on an island somewhere.

• Disagree x 1
  17. SoloRX7

SoloRX7 Member

Wasn't there a submarine Easter Egg at one point? ;) Now I just need to find the SuperCharger map for the Pacific...