Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$5k Delivery fee? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should just put the car location back on and it will solve a lot of complain. 5k is expensive but understandable if it has to ride a boat and truck for a few thousand miles
What's not understandable is that it's the same $5k whether the car is going from Hawaii to California as to Florida. And it is. We're talking about two things here for the guy that's talking about paying $1,200 even though is picking up at the factory. That's a new or inventory car. When I was considering ordering a car, I asked about getting that fee waived if I picked up at the factory but they said no.

The $2k and $5k charges are for CPO cars that are out of your region. If the car is in your own region, then it $0. I was looking at a CPO in New York, which was going to be $2k. But a car in Tennessee was $0. I'm in Florida and Tennessee is in my region while New York is not. A car from California to Florida would have been the same $2k as from New York, even though New York is half the distance to Florida. Tesla has just decided to average everything out rather than charge based on the actual distance. If the car is in your region, it's $0. If it's out, it's $2k except if it's to Hawaii or Alaska.

• Informative
Reactions: smartypnz
They give you 2 options if you don't want to don't want a CPO brought to you

1. you can arrange your own shipping
2. your can pick up the car free anywhere
I had planned to go and pick up a CPO from New Jersey to save the shipping costs. It made sense financially. But then I regained my senses after seeing what was going on up there with the weather and found a car in my own region. I'm from Florida too.

Reactions: Indpowr
There is some flat out wrong info being spread in this thread...

I purchased a CPO 11/2016 from Dallas, TX and it was delivered to Austin, TX with zero fee. According to my salesman Brent Seavey there are no delivery fees in state.

Most CPOs out of state had a $2k delivery fee and I've read Hawaii is $5k

Aloha!!! Lol

I've never paid more than $800 to ship to either coast, northern or southern parts. Granted, it's been a few years since I've done that. I could swallow $1200 when considering large company mark ups (Tesla) and the associated detailing from being on a truck. $2k seems excessive, especially at today's fuel prices and the presumed volume of shipping that Tesla does. $5k is insane and better involve a boat or plane, but in reality it doesn't matter because I'd never pay that. Maybe I'm also just a cheap curmudgeon, too. TX is in the middle of the country, we're not talking about going the whole length of the USA.
How long has it been since you shipped a car? In 2008 that's what I paid for cross-country. In 2011 it was $950. And just this last year it was $1200. All were quoted through the same broker, for open transport, with no special terms. If Tesla is doing covered transport it could easily be $1600 for most long hauls. The fee actually doesn't seem that far off. It might also be partly to discourage people from shipping cars all over the country instead of buying from in region.

I had an inventory car from LA brought to Fremont and they waived the delivery fee. 2 different people at the dealership I ordered from said they don't charge for within California delivery. Another Bay Area dealer told me they could waive the delivery fee for me and said it shouldn't be a problem.

Long story short, it was the wrong car once delivered. They found a similar one in Colorado and wanted to charge me $2500 and wouldn't waive that fee. Turns out the car wasn't so similar and I declined their "offer".

Seems like from reading this thread that it depends who you talk to will determine if they will charge you a fee or not.

A friend of mine bought a Mini Cooper. The one he wanted was in LA. The dealer wanted to charge him $1500 to deliver. My friend refused so they waived the fee.