Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5K/week pushed back to Q2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So that should make 10K/week when?

I would guess Spring or mid-year 2019. Elon had already suggested on the last earnings call that this would be anywhere from the end of 2018 to mid 2019 rather than earlier plans for late 2018.

fwiw, one thing about this delay re hitting 5K/week many will like- it looks pretty clear Tesla will not hit the 200K threshold which triggers the clock on phasing out the U.S. tax credit until Q2. Before this announcement it was looking too close to call as to whether it would be Q1 or Q2.

Reactions: JPUConn and EinSV
Well, the good news is quality does look excellent. And this will give more time for Superchargers and Service centers to stay up with increasing volume. I was a little concerned that their original volume numbers were too aggressive for associated infrastructure.

Reactions: insaneoctane
Well, the good news is quality does look excellent. And this will give more time for Superchargers and Service centers to stay up with increasing volume. I was a little concerned that their original volume numbers were too aggressive for associated infrastructure.
I don't believe that the number of SC's will have to keep up with production as Tesla is now charging Model 3 owners to use them @ a rate higher than their home rates.

quality does look excellent
Seriously? I get depressed from all the topics popping up complaining about things wizzing and whining and clicking and clunking. A bunch of people complained about warnings that pop up to tell you about broken things that need fixed and then mysteriously disappear... Like this guys road trip Tesla Model 3 Road Trip

The only comforting thing about delays is there's a higher chance that majority of the issues will be worked out on the Q1 crowd.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gowthamn
I don't believe that the number of SC's will have to keep up with production as Tesla is now charging Model 3 owners to use them @ a rate higher than their home rates.
Pretty sure the SuperCharger rates they will charge M3 owners will be the same exact rates they would pay at home, so it does not exactly drive them away. Also, it is likely there will still be the 400 kWh free per year.

Pretty sure the SuperCharger rates they will charge M3 owners will be the same exact rates they would pay at home, so it does not exactly drive them away. Also, it is likely there will still be the 400 kWh free per year.

It’s $0.20 a kWh in California. That’s way more than I pay on my time of use plan. The 400 kWh is not included for the 3.

Yeah, don't spend that 400kW all in one place. At best, and it won't be, that's one way from Los Angeles to Portland, if you pretend that Mount Shasta isn't there. Plus it appears that unlike what was put forth to us as fact a year ago now only applies to 2nd owners of cars ordered after 1/15/2017 (a per kW charge). The 400kW bone does not apply to the Model 3 afaik.

What Model 3 owners are going to find out to their chagrin is that while it's absolutely possible to get all the range as advertised when traveling from one SC to another along a nice flat highway with mild weather at moderate speed, there's as much as a 50% hit during a week's worth of short urban trips. Meaning that their $12 (60kW * $0.20/kW in CA else e.g., $0.16/peak minute in, e.g., AZ)) doesn't get them full range. It gets them half range unless they're road tripping. Not a huge deal but it does negate their fuel savings relative to an efficient alternative vehicle.

So they'll just have to settle for a great driving experience and a safe car that looks, dare I say, really good from most angles.

What will be interesting to see in practice is the cost structure associated with the 12,500 L2 & L3 chargers from the utilities in CA combined with the tens of thousands of L2 & L3 chargers coming to CA alone from the Dieselgate money. Make them competitive with SC pricing and get municipalities off the schneid so that chargers more effectively penetrate residential MDU/MFD neighborhoods, and Good Things will happen.

As I've typed periodically - Solve California and you solve the continent.