Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6-18 Month used Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are peoples thoughts on the Market value of a used model 3 6-18 Months after first ones are delivered. Think of a scenario where someone who was early reservation holder, purchases one of the first cars regardless of options. Then 6-18 months later there are more options(AWD, Battery etc). They decide to sell that original car and upgrade. Does the value hold due to demand? Does it diminish quicker do to "outdated" version?

Thoughts?

• Disagree
Reactions: jlv1
You buy a M3 because you want a great car to keep for a long time (Low maintenance)

You try to sell, you will be up against selling a car they can get more options on. You may break even at best if you figure in your Federal tax incentive.
Probably should have clarified I would be on the "Buy side" of this transaction as I reserved late so I won't get mine until Late 2018/2019.

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
i would think resale value would be VERY good because tax credits will be expiring shortly after. the options for those near the back of the line or just now considering a model 3 are to

1) wait 18 months and pay full price (35K base)
2) buy slightly used and get the car now

I would think you could sell near the price you paid after tax credit to a prospective buyer.

Reactions: Dynastar and Booga
As far as build quality it generally gets better over time. If you wait you might receive a better vehicle. That said, even if you reserved late there's still a chance you'd be able to get a RWD model earlier than I'd get a performance model even though my reservation was on March 31st.

What are peoples thoughts on the Market value of a used model 3 6-18 Months after first ones are delivered. Think of a scenario where someone who was early reservation holder, purchases one of the first cars regardless of options. Then 6-18 months later there are more options(AWD, Battery etc). They decide to sell that original car and upgrade. Does the value hold due to demand? Does it diminish quicker do to "outdated" version?

Thoughts?

I'd say it'll be like trying to catch a falling knife that bounces or floats in unpredictable ways.

Long term the price will drop, the swings in price could be drastic at times but will plateau at others.