Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 to 75 upgrade not avail anymore? why not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from my service center and they don’t seem to be aware they can unlock my battery. Where are you guys that got the unlock located? I was at a new service center that just opened north of Montreal so maybe they’re not up to speed on these things.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I just got back from my service center and they don’t seem to be aware they can unlock my battery. Where are you guys that got the unlock located? I was at a new service center that just opened north of Montreal so maybe they’re not up to speed on these things.
Provide them the part number earlier in this thread (1091845-06-A) and tell them you want one.

Reactions: agloutney
Is Tesla still offering the 60 - 75 update?
The answer is the same as it has always been and will be in the future:
It depends on what you mean by "offering".

Tesla will always be able to do it. But are they advertising it? Does it show as an upgrade option in the mobile app for your car? Maybe not, because it's for old cars, and Tesla frequently forgets to keep including some things for older cars. But it's really just offering money for a software switch change, so they will still be able to. It's just a matter of asking enough people at service centers to find someone who knows about it and is willing to do it.

The answer is the same as it has always been and will be in the future:
It depends on what you mean by "offering".

Tesla will always be able to do it. But are they advertising it? Does it show as an upgrade option in the mobile app for your car? Maybe not, because it's for old cars, and Tesla frequently forgets to keep including some things for older cars. But it's really just offering money for a software switch change, so they will still be able to. It's just a matter of asking enough people at service centers to find someone who knows about it and is willing to do it.
To be fair, they probably won’t see all that much benefit from it since a software gated BTX5 60 still gave you 62.4kWh.

It's the same benefit as it always was, minus some fraction resulting from degradation. It was about 39 miles extra range when new.
“miles” 🤣

So if it scales down and their pack is now at 55.5kWh (assuming 11% degradation) then they’d wind up gaining up to a whole 9.1kWh usable out of it for a total of 64.6kWh.

They’re largely just buying back the degradation from the 60 config at that point. That’s no upgrade and Tesla should be unlocking these out of goodwill point blank especially since the “75” pack (BTX5) was never a true 75kWh.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Krash
“miles” 🤣

So if it scales down and their pack is now at 55.5kWh (assuming 11% degradation) then they’d wind up gaining up to a whole 9.1kWh usable out of it for a total of 64.6kWh.

They’re largely just buying back the degradation from the 60 config at that point. That’s no upgrade and Tesla should be unlocking these out of goodwill point blank especially since the “75” pack (BTX5) was never a true 75kWh.

What does any of this have to do with the price of tea in China?

It’s precisely the same benefit, at precisely the same price, as it has been for years. You either want it or not at the price on offer. Pretty simple.

Tesla will still do software unlocks of 2015+ 60 vehicles, as far as I'm aware. Not sure what Tesla charges for this these days, but I know at least one customer who went from a 60 (really 75) to a 90 with me for less than what Tesla wanted for an unlock. 🤷‍♂️

Obviously doesn't apply to original 60s (pre-2015).

i upgraded my Dec 2016 S60 to S75 last year, just give them the part number above in the messages when you schedule your appointment, my 100% was 183 and now with the upgrade its 208 , it does have 125k miles on it currently, i still have it under warranty till 12/24 on the battery and drive train

FYI - I scheduled a service appointment and Tesla called yesterday to say they were investigating whether my car is eligible (early October 2016 Build). Today, the service advisor called to say it was eligible and that both the 75D upgrade and the “uncorking” could be done over the air without having to come in for service. The 75D upgrade completed within a few minutes of their phone call (I saw it change in the app and then confirmed in the car.) I’m not sure how to check when/if the uncorking is complete. I guess running 0-60 times? I sent them a message in the app asking how to confirm but have not heard back yet. Anyone else know a certain way? FYI - my 100% charge went from 207 to 241 (34K on the odometer). 90% is showing 218. It’s still relatively cold in Colorado, so those may go up a bit as the temps increase.

• Informative
Reactions: Yurand and Rocky_H
Following up on this... They replied that while the battery unlock happens quickly, the uncorking can take a few days. Not sure why. Perhaps it takes longer to update and therefore the car has to be stationary for longer, so not knowing the driving habits they hedge against that by saying a few days. I guess we will see. Hoping it works and I don't have to physically take the car in.