Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D Confirmed! My Buying Decision Process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla Model S was confirmed last week. I wanted to share my reasons for our decisions since it took considerable time and effort to research the options (over 10 hours!). This forum was great to do the research but it was essential to visit the design center and test drive both the Model S and X. We are a family of 5 (3 kids under 9), live in Southern California and I’m primarily using this car for commuting and short weekend trips.

Vehicle Decisions

60 – After the 60 came out with the upgrade option to 75, we decided to move forward with our Tesla purchase. I’ve always optioned for the 75 option in the past, but it brought the car to above $80k, which was our internal threshold.

Model S (vs X) – We’re a family of 5 with 3 kids under 9 years old. We decided to go with the S since this would be primarily my commuter car. If we had to travel any distance, I’m planning to setup 3 car seats or use our Odyssey. Other reasons why we chose the Model S was the lower cost, better long term reliability (no Falcon Wing Doors, 4 years on the market), lower wh/mile (300 vs 350), and less attention grabbing (no FCW).

AWD (vs RWD) – Living in Southern California, there really is no need for the $5k D upgrade since the speed increase was only 3/10ths of a second faster and 10 mi more efficient. The original 60 RWD went from 0-60 in 5.9 seconds while the current one improved to 5.5. An interesting fact about the 60 AWD is that it’s faster than the old 85 RWD. This decision was the last item we decided and we moved forward with the D upgrade due to a better drive experience.

The Look

White Color – The refreshed White Model S evoked feelings of purity and beauty. Midnight Silver Metallic was #2. It was more aggressive and masculine but felt older and is a more popular choice in our community.

Panoramic Roof – It makes the car feel more spacious. I enjoy the natural light and openness.

Silver Slipstream Wheels – These wheels look like the ones on our Honda Accord. We will upgrade to the tsportline 19 inch instead of doing the 19 inch cyclone upgrade. A car at this cost needs to have wheels that match the personality. It saddens me that these wheels look typical.

Black Headliner, Black Leather Seats, and Glossy Obeche – The black headliner is less conventional and easier to keep clean (for kids and taller people). I originally wanted the matte obeche but after visiting the design center, the glossy had a more traditional luxury car feel to it.

The Options

Autopilot – AP is one of the main buying points for the Tesla for us. My commute takes 30-40 minutes in traffic and it would improve my quality of life and hopefully give me more energy for my family. I would be less intimidated by traffic and may leave earlier from work. My fear of an imminent AP2 release was relieved after Tesla and Mobileeye lost their partnership and I expect AP2 to take longer to implement.

Premium Upgrade Package (PUP) – Power Liftgate and interior upgrades made this worthwhile. The adaptive lights were a plus due to safety. HEPA filter is nice to have but if you want better quality air, make sure to get HEPA filters for your bedroom and work since you’ll spend 16+ hours per day compared to 1 or so hours with commuting.

Standard Suspension (vs Smart Air Suspension) – Choosing SAS would make the vehicle more comfortable and allow us to change it based on steeper driveways and bumps; however, we chose standard due to the long term reliability. I could only imagine a handful of times over the last 5 years where I would need to increase the suspension height.

Ultra High Fidelity (vs standard) – At the showroom, I experienced the standard and UFHS and it made a significant difference. We didn’t want to spend time upgrading the speakers afterwards. The UHFS upgrade for the Model X brings more value since it adds more speakers in front. This was a great guide: Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X | TeslaTap

Rear Facing Seats – There weren’t any situations for our family where there would be an advantage of using the rear facing seats vs 2nd row. I only carry 1 kid when we drop them off from school.

I hope this helps you in your buying decisions. Feel free to use my referral code if you decide to purchase: Referral | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: 808? and bhzmark
Good post. Since this Board has been such a great help to me, I'll do a similar one for other lurkers.

I’m picking up a 60 next week, blue with pano roof and next gen seats.

Previous cars: Camry Hybrid, Mini Convertible (stick; a total blast), Volvo 850 (bought a tank because . . . teenagers), Taurus SHO (stick; overpowered with bad steering and worse shifter), Acura Integra (stick; fun.)

1. Pano? Originally ruled out the pano roof, because sunroofs in most cars decrease headroom. BUT, when I saw that the Tesla pano roof increased headroom and made the cabin feel much bigger, I got it.

2. Audio? Model S basic audio disappointing; upgrade sounded like a $500 - $1,000 upgrade, not a $2,500 upgrade. I ordered it anyway at first, but changed my mind in a few days because I mostly listen to podcasts anyway.

3. Range? I’ll have a short commute, and all my long trips are on interstates, so I thought 60 would be sufficient.

4. Autopilot? Not for me. Probably would not have bought it for $100.

5. Charging? Getting a NEMA 14-50 installed in garage Friday.

6. Color? Tired of white, silver and black cars, so it was red or blue for me. First chose red, then switched to blue.

ok, need some advice. I live in the east bay (SF). i got a great deal for a 75 RWD, but its black with tan interior. its a color i would not have purchased. i can get a 60 for about $3000 less, but in the color I want. I commute about 90 miles round trip and wife has a second car. should i take the deal or go with the 60 in the color (midnight metallic).

ok, need some advice. I live in the east bay (SF). i got a great deal for a 75 RWD, but its black with tan interior. its a color i would not have purchased. i can get a 60 for about $3000 less, but in the color I want. I commute about 90 miles round trip and wife has a second car. should i take the deal or go with the 60 in the color (midnight metallic).
Go with 75RWD, I got 75D it is 3 days old, and you could never have too much range as it goes really quickly in this case.
Picked it up at 250 rated miles- 2 days later after local driving and errands I got 134miles left and no in home charge capability,
Go with 75 and u will never regret it.

If I had it to do over, I'd probably have a configuration closer to yours. I don't think one really needs the air suspension (now that I have it). My only pause is the color. I got white and it REALLY SHOWS DIRT.

As for the decision to get a 60 vs a 75, I'm happy with the 60. The nice thing about the 60 is that you can charge it to 100% (since it's really just 80% of 75) any time, so you get the added range every day. It's only on a long trip where you would charge the 75 to 100% where it makes a difference. Superchargers seem to be about 150 miles apart. And you can always upgrade to a 75 if you really need it.

The 60 is a really efficient car, and I personally beat the EPA numbers. It should take you where you want to go with lots of fun getting there.

Reactions: Chopr147
Agree. The 75 is not worth an extra $8500 when you consider daily charging rates.
Color: I agree again :) White really shows the dirt more than I thought it would. And did the bugs come out big this year? Front re-fresh on the S attracts them like a magnet!