Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 yellow clock disappeared before I updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday morning I got into my 3 week old 70d with the update screen and the yellow clock.

I needed to get going to a meeting, so touched outside the box as I often do to close any box in the UI. During the whole drive, the yellow clock was there reminding me of my first OTA update.

I took a look when I got back in the car from my meeting, and no yellow clock?!?!

its now 24 hours later and still no clock or update screen. I did emails ServiceNA, but haven't had a response.

Anyone ever experience this before? Any ideas?

-Eric

Yesterday morning I got into my 3 week old 70d with the update screen and the yellow clock.

I needed to get going to a meeting, so touched outside the box as I often do to close any box in the UI. During the whole drive, the yellow clock was there reminding me of my first OTA update.

I took a look when I got back in the car from my meeting, and no yellow clock?!?!

its now 24 hours later and still no clock or update screen. I did emails ServiceNA, but haven't had a response.

Anyone ever experience this before? Any ideas?

-Eric

You sure you didn't hit "schedule to update at 3am" or whatever the default time is? You sure you didn't update?

To check if you actually did update, press the big Tesla symbol at the top of the 17" display to pull up the car information, and check the firmware version number. If it starts with 7.1, you did, in fact, update the firmware.

On the other hand, if it starts with 7.0, it would seem something else may be going on.

I may be a new owner but I'm not that oblivious. Still on 7.0, and I actually assumed the same thing about it defaulting to the standard 3:00am time. No dice.

I wish there was a way to "check" for an update like what my iPhone does. That might allow me to go get it, knowing it's already been downloaded into the car.

Looks like Tesla has pulled the update because some AP cars is loosing the camera/radar calibration data after updating to 7.1.

I actually had that happen to me, and mentioned it in the 7.1 thread.

Mine took about an hour and fifteen minutes.

Unfortunately it completed with the "Driver Assistance Unavailable" error message on the instrument cluster. I know that may clear on its own, given some time, but resetting the IC and the 17" display did not clear it.

I fear I may have caused this error myself, by breaking one of my rules about never checking on the car during an update. I had read here of people having issues related to problematic updates when they had somehow interrupted an update, so previously I've started updates, and then made sure not to come close to the car with the fob until well after it was expected to have completed. This time, as a result of the message above (no, I don't blame you, jgs--it was my fault) I decided to check on the car early, to see if it was finished. Since the doors were locked, I had to unlock them using the fob. I did that and opened the driver's door, saw the car was "dead", and closed the door. I didn't return until I received a VT email status message, which made me think the car must have completed its update, and it had.

I'm hoping my Driver's Assistance features do, in fact, return on their own.

After letting the car sit for a while, so that it could restart all the systems later, everything was fine. (I had read that that was a fix that often worked.)

Do you think the issue is with 7.1 though, or "interrupting" the update process?

I can't say, but considering all I did was unlock the driver's door and open it to look in the car, to see if the update was completed or not, I think that if something so innocuous--something the uninitiated would have absolutely no qualms about doing, even though I did--could cause an update to result in the error message I saw, it kind of makes sense for Tesla to pull it and rewrite the update process so that it won't keep happening.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know whether the error would have occurred if I had not opened the door. Perhaps it would have and perhaps it wouldn't have. But either way, I think Tesla probably realizes that an error for something plenty of people could easily do during the upgrade (since there aren't explicit directions against it) requires fixing.

Official statement from Tesla Service just now

Hello Eric,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Motors Technical Support.

A few 70kWh vehicles experienced a glitch with 7.1. The Engineering team is making some corrections prior to resending.

Thanks for letting us know, and thank you for your patience! They should be resending this ASAP!

Official statement from Tesla Service just now

Hello Eric,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Motors Technical Support.

A few 70kWh vehicles experienced a glitch with 7.1. The Engineering team is making some corrections prior to resending.

Thanks for letting us know, and thank you for your patience! They should be resending this ASAP!

Great. Nice of them to have sent me an email 5 minutes ago informing me that I can now summon my car but still don't have the update.

I can't say, but considering all I did was unlock the driver's door and open it to look in the car, to see if the update was completed or not, I think that if something so innocuous--something the uninitiated would have absolutely no qualms about doing, even though I did--could cause an update to result in the error message I saw, it kind of makes sense for Tesla to pull it and rewrite the update process so that it won't keep happening.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know whether the error would have occurred if I had not opened the door. Perhaps it would have and perhaps it wouldn't have. But either way, I think Tesla probably realizes that an error for something plenty of people could easily do during the upgrade (since there aren't explicit directions against it) requires fixing.

This has been reported with a previous update. It's best to let the car update overnight (which I think is what the scheduler defaults to) to avoid the temptation of checking on the car and interrupting the update. If you do update during the day, the iPhone app will notify you when the update is complete.

This has been reported with a previous update. It's best to let the car update overnight (which I think is what the scheduler defaults to) to avoid the temptation of checking on the car and interrupting the update. If you do update during the day, the iPhone app will notify you when the update is complete.

In the first post where I talked about this I noted that I had violated my own rule about never checking on the car during an update. I had read of people having issues here when they sat in the car and interacted with it during updates, so I previously had always made sure to be far away, and not to check on it until well after it was scheduled to complete. I checked a little early this time in an attempt to answer a question someone had asked with respect to how long the update really took. That was my mistake, and one I don't plan to make again.

With respect to being notified when the update is complete, I use the Android app, and it only just was updated to be able to send notifications. This may have been the first firmware update since then, and if not it was only the second. In any case, I was not expecting a notification that the update was complete. As it turns out, I did receive one, and also received some status messages from Visible Tesla when the car came back online.

Thanks anyway for the heads-up. I'm sure it will help someone.

7.1 loading as I type. I'll have a new car to drive tomorrow morning. I hope I'm not too annoyed by some of the items people are mentioning on here. Time will tell. Based on when I received the update at first, when it was taken away, and then when it came back, Tesla fixed the update for 70's in 24-36 hours. Pretty impressive.