Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 Day Full Refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the number of collections happening, I wonder if anyone has taken up the 7 day full refund. Is it easy to do and when will the refund reach the bank. This is in case the car came with paint and mechanical defects which is not acceptable rather than the car itself. And not spotted on delivery.

If you invoke it (or at least threaten to) from what I've seen they send you a pretty short email reminding you that you're not welcome to buy another Tesla for 12 months if you do, whether anyone has done it yet I don't know, but it must be a nightmare if there's any finance on the car, you've part exchanged your old car etc - how they unpick all that I don't know.

I just cancelled my order after Tesla refused to keep my car while I was on holiday for 10 days.

Sent the mail to delivery team and it took 9 days for them to acknowledge it and process the refund (it will take 15 days to get my deposit money back)

I can't imagine the 7 days refund process being a smooth one..not sure I would even consider it

Reading with interest and a newbie - andics, it sounds like you didn't take delivery. I wonder what they do with the cars that are returned as they can't sell them as new surely? Before delivery I guess they just reassign them to someone else?

pretty sure they will try to rectify rather than take the car back, but if you haven't test driven it they are covered by distance selling act so you actually have 14 days in the UK.

I've not heard of any that can't be fixed with a door alignment and a bit of polish tho?

There is also a chance that I dont like the M3P and want to swap back onto a SR+ by using the 7 day refund policy. A very very small chance but a chance. ;)
Mm, not sure about that, it’s a return policy not a change your mind policy. If you use the 7 day return option I don’t think they will supply you another car in case you do the same again.

Not in the UK, but have a model s on order. If it's not 100000000000+++ % perfect or damn near close I won't take delivery and order a new one if they can't fix it. If they ban you for 12 months I'll just order it under my wife's name.

With the number of collections happening, I wonder if anyone has taken up the 7 day full refund. Is it easy to do and when will the refund reach the bank. This is in case the car came with paint and mechanical defects which is not acceptable rather than the car itself. And not spotted on delivery.

@tess19 I have.

I got my RHD Model 3 Performance in June this year. Returned it within 7 days as unfortunately the seat/seating position were causing me extreme discomfort, especially on longer drives.

Return process was super easy and quick, just a quick inspection by Tesla and had to sign a form to initiate the return. Full refund took 10 business days. It was a cash purchase.

Ample time to spot paint defects before signing for it. I went over my car with a fine tooth comb, before signing for it, and the paint was flawless (I was pleasantly surprised) - no misaligned doors or panels either.

Bear in mind that if you have had a test drive, then the 7 day return policy from Tesla would not apply.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Maybe that's why there are so many minor faults. You are all getting cars that have already had a couple of owners and been returned before 7 days with a bit of wear and tear :eek:

@Jason71 Nope. My understanding is that returns of the 3 in the UK are not resold to customers at present, but are kept for internal use, i.e. test drives.

In terms of the minor faults on UK Model 3s, it's because Tesla are still in growth mode, so their priority is to get as many 3s delivered as possible (rather than focus on the highest possible quality as that would delay getting cars shipped out), and if there are minor defects noticed upon delivery, then the burden falls on the service centres to sort that out.

is this you

@tess19 I have.

I got my RHD Model 3 Performance in June this year. Returned it within 7 days as unfortunately the seat/seating position were causing me extreme discomfort, especially on longer drives.

Return process was super easy and quick, just a quick inspection by Tesla and had to sign a form to initiate the return. Full refund took 10 business days. It was a cash purchase.

Ample time to spot paint defects before signing for it. I went over my car with a fine tooth comb, before signing for it, and the paint was flawless (I was pleasantly surprised) - no misaligned doors or panels either.

Bear in mind that if you have had a test drive, then the 7 day return policy from Tesla would not apply.

Reading with interest and a newbie - andics, it sounds like you didn't take delivery. I wonder what they do with the cars that are returned as they can't sell them as new surely? Before delivery I guess they just reassign them to someone else?

@DrJFoster That's not a return, it's merely a cancelled order. The car would just be vin matched to another customer waiting for that spec. Of course, it's still a new car.

pretty sure they will try to rectify rather than take the car back, but if you haven't test driven it they are covered by distance selling act so you actually have 14 days in the UK

I'm not sure you can rely on distance selling when you go to their premises to collect the goods and inspect them before signing the final paperwork... ?

I'm not sure you can rely on distance selling when you go to their premises to collect the goods and inspect them before signing the final paperwork... ?

you maybe correct, if you have signed a disclaimer they are usually to pass the liability from themselves to you as you have accepted the goods as seen.

Don't sign anything until you have a copy or understand the liability