Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seat config waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else get excited when they see a new post to this forum since it could be yet another 7 seater saying they got a VIN? I sure do! If you are like me then I apologize, this is just a dumb question......

Can any of you who have already received your VIN tell us when the email or text followed the VIN being posted on your order summary page. Is this instantaneous/within minutes or does it float in hours later or the next day? I probably refresh the order summary page about 8-10 times per day and am wondering if it is worth it or if I should just wait for the text/email? Also, what email address does it come from? Thanks!

Reactions: Axeman
I've spent some time looking at the spreadsheet today. his has been stated on this forum before; but It is clear that generally the farther away from California someone is, the more likely they are to have a VIN assigned independent of order date.

Cursory Review of first half and second half of orders - arbitrarily picking 14-Jan as the demark:
  • On or Before 14-Jan order date
    • +/- 25 in 70 VINS assigned
    • 1 has been reported assigned to California,
    • None to any other west coast state;
    • All others are typically FL, NY, Mass, Canada with some other midwestern states;
  • Post 14-Jan
    • +/- 10 in 60 VINS assigned;
    • Also all to NE, Midwest, FL, or Canada;
    • Also no West Coast VINs;
This certainly seems to coincide with being able to ship and delivery West Coast deliveries quickly, and therefore waiting until close to quarter end to delivery those cars.

Not sure that the above is necessarily helpful, but just my observations from the sheet this morning.

Besides distance, I wonder if there is any correlation on receiving VIN sooner based on cash vs loan?

Reactions: Jemblue7my
Does anyone else get excited when they see a new post to this forum since it could be yet another 7 seater saying they got a VIN? I sure do! If you are like me then I apologize, this is just a dumb question......

Can any of you who have already received your VIN tell us when the email or text followed the VIN being posted on your order summary page. Is this instantaneous/within minutes or does it float in hours later or the next day? I probably refresh the order summary page about 8-10 times per day and am wondering if it is worth it or if I should just wait for the text/email? Also, what email address does it come from? Thanks!

For me:
- I checked pretty late day before the website, no VIN
- I woke up in the morning, ~8:45AM I received email: "An update has been made to your final balance"
- Logged in to the website, VIN was there (not sure whether it got posted overnight / before the email)
- Upon paying, I received a text a day later to schedule the delivery

No other texts asking to pay / notifying about VIN.

• Helpful
Reactions: mcmcn

I woke up to a VIN yesterday morning and got a text to schedule pick up about 4 hours later. Will be picking up in south Florida 3/6 (was first date offered). Ordered 1/26 and VIN is 130xxx. LR 7 seater blackw/ white interior and induction wheels. Financing and no trade in.

The first real communication I had with an SA I think was from 2 weeks ago (week of 2/7-2/13)? About a week before the VIN was assigned. It was a text from my SA to confirm that I did everything I can up to that point and that we should have VIN and delivery soon.

I found my VIN in my account, last Thursday 2/18 when I logged on to check for VIN as part of the daily routine. Going back I did get an email (Same as tesla account) about 6am that same morning telling me that my VIN is available along with a succession of emails saying the final balance has been updated and a reminder to complete all pre-delivery tasks.

Last Friday (2/19) I got an automated call in the morning at about 9am, asking me to confirm that I will be taking delivery in the delivery window on Saturday. A few hrs after that I got a call from my SA telling me that I can pick up the car as soon as "today" (Friday 2/19) and that they are only waiting on the loan package from the bank. Much to my disappointment my bank took their sweet time and a lot of prodding before they got our loan package ready in the early afternoon on Saturday. I think I send in my loan package by email around 2pm on Saturday 2/20. I called them as soon as I send it and while they were on the phone they confirm that they have it and told me they will release the car and drive it to my home in 15 min. The car showed up in my drive way ~30min after I had sent in the loan package. After a cursory look over the car, and working out details w/ the delivery guy the delivery was complete and the guy got into a lyft and left.

I got a follow up call 2 days later asking how everything was and to check to make sure I had signed and send in the final paper work that was left in the car in a prepaid Fedex envelope when the car was delivered

As far as buying a car goes, this has been the easiest, smoothest, and relaxing way of buying a car I've ever had. The only snag I had was with my bank and that was not Tesla's fault. I don't think I want to buy another car from anyone else that doesn't have the same whole purchase and delivery process that Tesla had.

edit: I did not have a trade in to take care of so this might have made things simpler.

Last edited:
The first real communication I had with an SA I think was from 2 weeks ago (week of 2/7-2/13)? About a week before the VIN was assigned. It was a text from my SA to confirm that I did everything I can up to that point and that we should have VIN and delivery soon..

Thanks for info and congrats on your VIN and MY! Your SA sounds too good to be true! They actually contacted YOU!? and on top of that had accurate information? It seems to me that a lot of SA's either A) dont know how to use the tools available to them or B) dont give a flying flip about doing any research for their customers or C) All of the above. I asked my SA about the 'soft match tool' and the 'target factory gate day', both of which I have read about on here and he acted like I was speaking Klingon.

Reactions: Jemblue7my
Anyone else feeling a little uneasy after ordering their Standard Range variant? I realize nothing has really changed, but I feel like the SR lost the confidence of the company and that's unnerving. In BC the difference between the SR and LR is around $15 grand due to lack of incentives for the LR, so it's not as easy a choice to upgrade as it is in the US.

I get the same uneasy feeling only because of the reason, if the company itself abandoned a model, what kind of future support does this model going to have, I know it is all mostly controlled by software but still? Also, what it will do to resale value especially with the tax credit and all, it is going to bring the LR model close to SR price. My daily commute is within 50-60 mile, so this SR really works for my daily and weekend errands, I will have no regrets but still you get this uneasy feeling of owning an orphaned product.

Anyone else feeling a little uneasy after ordering their Standard Range variant? I realize nothing has really changed, but I feel like the SR lost the confidence of the company and that's unnerving. In BC the difference between the SR and LR is around $15 grand due to lack of incentives for the LR, so it's not as easy a choice to upgrade as it is in the US.

I ordered an SR as well. Elon tweeted "It is still available off menu, but I don’t think the range, in many drive conditions, yet meets the Tesla standard of excellence" so you have to call to order it, you cant order if from the website. When I was speaking Klingon to my SA he did tell me that my SR order would still be honored. My daily commute is about 20 miles, so SR works great for me and the difference in the US with the new discounts is $9 grand. My only concern is they will focus on more expensive models to close the quarter and the SR's will get pushed into April. I know several people on here have been waiting since 2019 so I will patiently wait my turn ;)

Thanks for info and congrats on your VIN and MY! Your SA sounds too good to be true! They actually contacted YOU!? and on top of that had accurate information? It seems to me that a lot of SA's either A) dont know how to use the tools available to them or B) dont give a flying flip about doing any research for their customers or C) All of the above. I asked my SA about the 'soft match tool' and the 'target factory gate day', both of which I have read about on here and he acted like I was speaking Klingon.

I think a few things helps with my situation. I live in San Diego and there are A LOT of Teslas and they all come through the Carlsbad delivery center so they probably get more frequent batches of cars are coming out of the factory. Second, to be honest I didn't want to rock the boat too much and ask a lot of questions that is not directly pertinent to the actual delivery of the vehicle so all of our conversation pretty much revolved around delivery and loan info and what is going to happen on delivery day, etc. I didn't know I had the new console and headlights until the car showed up on my driveway.

I think a few things helps with my situation. I live in San Diego and there are A LOT of Teslas and they all come through the Carlsbad delivery center so they probably get more frequent batches of cars are coming out of the factory. Second, to be honest I didn't want to rock the boat too much and ask a lot of questions that is not directly pertinent to the actual delivery of the vehicle so all of our conversation pretty much revolved around delivery and loan info and what is going to happen on delivery day, etc. I didn't know I had the new console and headlights until the car showed up on my driveway.
Hi NCC. Thanks for sharing. What is the build date of your car to have new headlights. Others have been asking. Yours might be the first reported non MYP with new headlights.

My SA told me the same thing -- I'm 132xxx, and he said I will definitely have heated steering and new console, but that the updated headlights are currently just for MYP.
Which is no longer true perhaps since around Feb 13 (7 days before DD Delivery Date 2/20), NCC81701 7 Seater LRY.
Wrote:
"I didn't know I had the new console and headlights until the car showed up on my driveway.
Reserved 3/14/19: Model Y | LR AWD | White Exterior | Gemini Wheels | No Tow | White Interior | 7-Seater | FSD | Southern California | VIN 131xx | DD: 2/20/21"

Last edited:
I get the same uneasy feeling only because of the reason, if the company itself abandoned a model, what kind of future support does this model going to have, I know it is all mostly controlled by software but still? Also, what it will do to resale value especially with the tax credit and all, it is going to bring the LR model close to SR price. My daily commute is within 50-60 mile, so this SR really works for my daily and weekend errands, I will have no regrets but still you get this uneasy feeling of owning an orphaned product.

I'm coming from a Model S that is "SR" P85. It has no less support than the "LR" S's.

Not long ago you had the option of Dual-Motor or single. Dual gave you AWD and longer range. Now your options are "Standard Range or Long Range". The difference is pretty much one motor or two.

With the range of the Plaid+ at 520+, and the S minimum 402 for the new models, the range of the SR Y really is quite low in comparison, so I understand the reason; as Elon tweeted it doesn't quote meet "the Tesla standard of excellence."

It's no different then when they discontinued the 45 and 60 batteries on the S, no reason to feel uneasy IMHO.

My thought is there are only going to be more superchargers and other charging stations, so range will become less about literally not making it, and more about just having more frequent stops. Elon’s comments surprise me as 1.) I assume he ultimately signed off on the SR release a few weeks ago, and 2.) Tesla continues to sell used models with well under 250 miles range (MX 75D is 237 miles and several years old). I think 244 miles is enough for many situations.

Also as someone else told me, having this version of SR Y might make it worth a little more as it comes with the premium interior and not a reduced interior. I bet the SR Y will come back later with less amenities.

Reactions: bharath9