Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 Seat Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ordered the new 7-seater being that we are already a family of 5. Though it is a bit tight, we can sit two more people here and there. Also, it is nice to be able to fold completely flat. When the car arrives in a month or two, I will certainly report back or answer any questions about fitting three car seats and other family members in there.

We also ordered the 7-seater for the same reasons. We're about to become a family of 5 next one is due in January. Ours should arrive in November, I'd love to hear your thoughts when yours arrives.

Reactions: cantbechanged
One thing that has not been mentioned here but could be important to some: 6-seat interior has awesome rear-view visibility as it removes one giant headrest in middle of your view. Makes a big difference even with rear two seats not folded down. Even Elon mentioned this in a tweet about 6-seat being the best config, along with the extra legroom the rear passengers get.

We tried all options and also had a older 7-seat loaner MX90D for a week so we could try out two car seats in the outboard positions in the 2nd row which were the *pedestal* style. From the above considerations and tests, I can say I can't see how anyone could manage with the newer fold-flat 7-seat configuration and having 2 car seats mounted in 2nd row, because you then can't fold them down to get access to 3rd room (you could push them forward, but in a very limited fashion for rear-facing seats, and even then you would need to manually adjust the front seat forward to get more room). You really have to try the pedestal vs fold-flat seats to see what I'm talking about, but pedestal style are awesome because with one button the outer and middle 2nd row seats move up and tilt down (without changing relative car seat orientation) plus front row moves forward all automatically in orchestration. Then I tried the 7-seat pedestal vs 6-seat pedestal and everyone found the rear seats in 7-seater very claustrophobic. We went with 6-seat (late build pedestal) for an order. And if I have to move any large cargo I take my truck anyway.

The summary, in my opinion, for two permanently mounted car seats in 2nd row is that best options are either:
1) new or old build 6-seat (which comes with pedestal by design) -- with or without 2nd row console depending on your prefs which balances comfort of 2nd row vs 3rd row occupants.
2) *old* 7-seat build with pedestal. This requires looking carefully for an appropriate CPO or older inventory car.

In the newer style manual seven seat 2nd row (bench) the headrest in the middle seat is lower than it was in the pedestal version (which had the same height on all three seats), which should help on the visibility part.

We are a family of five and do not need seven seats, but we would like to have an extra seat, and I have really tried to like the six seater version, but with the six seater we will always have to use at least one of the 3rd row seats, which reduces the cargo space significantly. Folding down one will help for cargo, but is horrible for safety. The same goes with both 3rd row seats folded down, horrible for safety.

What is really unfortunate though is that I confirmed my order with the old style electric seven seat version the 9th of August, and Tesla have later told me that they cannot deliver that and are forcing me to take the new "US" bench, cancel or to go inventory. Problem is just that there are NO inventory cars with seven seats and towbar.

Does anyone have the ability to post photos or a video of a 7-seater (new design) with the middle three seats folded down and moved up and show what the rear two seats look like in that configuration? How much floor space/foot room and how open it feels? I have two car seats, or a carseat and a booster seat to put in mine for the next 4-5 years.

I really wish that middle bench was removable.

Reactions: MelaniainLA