Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D loaded vs. 85D with fewer options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very nice!!!! You will be very happy with this config. As far as range - you will gain "muscle memory" as you learn your cars capabilities and will know how far you can push it. Once you spent a full year with it you will be an expert!

Love your color - if i could buy today that is exactly what I would get.

I juggled this exact decision about 6 months ago. For many reasons, I went with the 85D. Range, as everyone has pointed out, is king. If there is ever some battery degradation down the road, you want to start out with as much as you can. The other reason, which is more subtle, is that the 85D will actually charge quicker on the superchargers since the battery is larger. This isn't intuitive to me, so I did some research and you can find videos of the different sized batteries charging and the larger the battery, the faster to the 80%.

Plus, I've got to admit, I was not that impressed with the 70D acceleration. It was fast, but for $80k it should be much faster.

Update -- Thank you all for your responses. After careful consideration, I decided to order a 70D with the options that I want. After doing some research, I found many EV chargers along the routes which I travel that don't contain superchargers. Since I only travel these routes about once a month or so, I am comfortable with using slower EV chargers once in a while for emergency purposes. My order is as follows:

70D
Titanium Metallic
Tan Next Gen Seats
Matte Obeché wood decor
Body colored roof
Standard 19" rims
Autopilot
Premium Interior and Lighting
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package

I am awaiting delivery of a very similar Model S. Only differences are that I got the pano roof and black interior, without the cold weather package. I have a very short commute and a ICE minivan for long trips, so I was not concerned about extending my range. I figure this is going to be an "around town" car with rare exceptions. I like fast, but after a while driving a BMW M3 I realized there is such a thing as "fast enough." Torque seems to be the most important thing for realistic daily driving, and I am pretty sure the 70d will be "fast enough" in that regard.

Congrats on your purchase. Be sure to give a two-handed wave if you travel down south and spot your Tesla twin on the road.

I ordered the 70D (Red, Pano Roof, 19" wheels, Premium interior, Gloss wood). I looked at the 85 and 85D. The 85D would be more about a step up in performance. The range differential is there but not really in keeping with the price difference. For me, range is never going to be an issue with the 70D as I live in Hong Kong - and couldn't do the max range in a day even if I tried. So then its all about performance. 0-60 in 5.4 seconds is not fast enough? Man things have changed. I owned a 1995 BMW M3 and a 2001 Porsche Boxter S many years ago - they were FAST and neither one had acceleration like that (at least at the time). 5.4 seconds is mighty impressive for a large family sedan.

I am transporting my kids mostly, so I really don't understand the value of the extra performance other than for the occasional thrill and laugh. If you really want proper performance you are better off getting a 70D and a stripped down sports car (like an Ariel Atom or Caterham) and go on a track - rather than paying the extra cash for a 85D or P85D.

Of course, its everyone's personal taste. If you have money to burn, then why not I guess.