Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my car back from the Cleveland SC. I asked them about paying for the battery unlock (60-->75KW) and uncorking. They confirmed my pack was a 75KW, that my car was within the battery upgrade window (whatever that meant), that it could be uncorked but they could do nothing, even if I paid. So I am stuck with the software limited 75KW pack and carrying the weight of batteries I cannot use. Very disappointed...

Just got my car back from the Cleveland SC. I asked them about paying for the battery unlock (60-->75KW) and uncorking. They confirmed my pack was a 75KW, that my car was within the battery upgrade window (whatever that meant), that it could be uncorked but they could do nothing, even if I paid. So I am stuck with the software limited 75KW pack and carrying the weight of batteries I cannot use. Very disappointed...

Eh?

Do you not have an option to purchase the battery unlock for $2k in your MyTesla account?

Eh?

Do you not have an option to purchase the battery unlock for $2k in your MyTesla account?

I had the hardest time doing this last fall. It took a lot of back and forth with corporate and finally the local SC figured out what needs to be done. There was a lot of paperwork on their end. The option to upgrade through the web site appeared doable but would not work. Had to be done manually at the SC. But they were able to upgrade me to 75D and to do the uncorking. FMinMI, I would suggest you ask again and be persistent. My local SC is in Devon, PA -- in case you want to ask them to give your local SC instructions.

Eh?

No, it is not there. And it probably is because I bought the car from a dealer instead of a private party. I hate to say it but Tesla treats you like a 2nd class citizen if you don't buy from them or a private person. It took over a month to get the car in my Tesla account so I could use the app.

I cannot buy their extended warranty/service plan from them. I do not have the option to pay for the unlocking of the battery pack. I had looked for 5 months for the car I wanted from them (two different sales people) but finally found one in Texas that had everything I wanted at the price I could afford.

On the otherhand, the Cleveland SC was very efficient in fixing a number of issues I had, all under warranty, however it took 6 weeks for the appointment. None of my issues were critical so I didn't mind the wait, especially since they had to 'truck it' from mid Michigan to Cleveland (~275 miles).

I had the hardest time doing this last fall. It took a lot of back and forth with corporate and finally the local SC figured out what needs to be done. There was a lot of paperwork on their end. The option to upgrade through the web site appeared doable but would not work. Had to be done manually at the SC. But they were able to upgrade me to 75D and to do the uncorking. FMinMI, I would suggest you ask again and be persistent. My local SC is in Devon, PA -- in case you want to ask them to give your local SC instructions.

So my first question - did you buy the car from a dealer or individual? I am guessing the latter since you indicated you could see it on your app. There is nothing on mine for any 'option' : unlocking, service plan, etc...

Second, was it corporate or the SC that ultimately 'took' your payment and unlocked the battery? If it was corporate, what number did you call and what group did you talk to (billing, customer service, sales)? To unlock the battery, I saw online that no visit to the SC is needed -- all done via WIFI connection.

My problem in being persistent is the distance to the SC - 275 miles away :-( I am in Michigan and they are not allowed to have a service center here nor sell cars via a brick and mortar showroom. Only online sales but with delivery coming from Ohio. We do have 3 mobile rangers who cover the state but I doubt that they can do the uncorking, and someone else said Tesla has completely stopped that...

You are not carrying around batteries you cannot use. You are using all the batteries you have, you are just prevented from charging them to 100%. That’s a good thing. Charging to 100% frequently isn’t good for the batteries. You can charge to 100% of your apparent 60KW every day with impunity. We seldom go to 100% of our 75s. Oh we will occasionally for trips but there’s no reason, superchargers are available along a trip without charging the battery to the absolute limit. Besides that top end of the charge takes a long time.

If you do manage to pay and unlock the top 15KW of your battery, you probably won’t use that top 15KW much. Right now you have your money, you have essentially the range the rest of us use anyway, and your battery is protected from repeated maximal charge. I think you are doing quite well. Things could be worse. Suppose you really had a true 60KW battery, you wouldn’t want to take that up to 100%. But you can take your software limited battery to 100% routinely. So you really are much better off.

If you feel that there are 15KW worth of batteries that are unused, sitting there getting moldy, that’s just not the way it is.

Now that uncork is well worth it. If your car is a dual motor and you can go to the 75KW and then uncork, jump on it. If it isn’t a D, that wasn’t ever an option anyway. If yours is a D and you are within the window, I’d be as aggressive as you can talking to supervisors and moving up the line until you either find the way solidly blocked for some reason or you get the upgrade. If the way is blocked, you deserve to know why.

Reactions: Mark77a
Yes, I'd persist with the national 800 number for support and continue to escalate through the service center.

Lots of things have been coming and going from the Tesla website the last couple weeks in response to the recent price changes for the autopilot and full self driving packages. I would not be surprised if the capacity upgrade option got lost in the shuffle.

I'd be very surprised if Tesla suddenly decided they did not want $2,000 from someone who was willing to give it to them for something that costs them literally nothing. Of course, Tesla has done plenty of surprising stuff recently, so you never know...

You are not carrying around batteries you cannot use. You are using all the batteries you have, you are just prevented from charging them to 100%. That’s a good thing. Charging to 100% frequently isn’t good for the batteries. You can charge to 100% of your apparent 60KW every day with impunity. We seldom go to 100% of our 75s. Oh we will occasionally for trips but there’s no reason, superchargers are available along a trip without charging the battery to the absolute limit. Besides that top end of the charge takes a long time.

If you do manage to pay and unlock the top 15KW of your battery, you probably won’t use that top 15KW much. Right now you have your money, you have essentially the range the rest of us use anyway, and your battery is protected from repeated maximal charge. I think you are doing quite well. Things could be worse. Suppose you really had a true 60KW battery, you wouldn’t want to take that up to 100%. But you can take your software limited battery to 100% routinely. So you really are much better off.

If you feel that there are 15KW worth of batteries that are unused, sitting there getting moldy, that’s just not the way it is.

Now that uncork is well worth it. If your car is a dual motor and you can go to the 75KW and then uncork, jump on it. If it isn’t a D, that wasn’t ever an option anyway. If yours is a D and you are within the window, I’d be as aggressive as you can talking to supervisors and moving up the line until you either find the way solidly blocked for some reason or you get the upgrade. If the way is blocked, you deserve to know why.

Hey D.E.,

Mine is a 60D and the SC confirmed that the battery, production date and VIN are correct for software unlocking and uncorking. And I understand the 'benefit' of only being able to charge to 60KW but from what I can tell, I still see supercharging slowing down when I get about 80% (which, according to your logic, is more like 64% on a 75KW battery).

So, I cannot go 259 miles per charge (only 210) and I cannot charge faster (at the top end), so yes, I am carrying extra weight on each trip. The only positive is that my 60KW will stay 60KW much longer (won't see any battery degradation for a long time if at all given the ADDITIONAL 25% buffer). Good for Tesla and their battery degradation warranty I guess.

The REAL bad part of staying 60KW is there is a large difference in resale value between a 60D and a 75D with the exact same equipment - it was $8K the last time I checked! That is why I went for a 60D that had the 75KW battery after researching it would only cost $2K.

As for uncorking, yeah, it would be super cool to be faster 0-60. What man doesn't want that?

I am willing to pursue going 'up the line' but would like to know what line to go up. I tried the SC after talking to the mobile ranger and his boss. The SC seemed receptive but came back saying no. Do I ask for the manager at that SC? Or the SC manager for the midwest (if there is one?) As mentioned above they are 275 miles away so it is not easy for me to drop in with a dozen donuts to try and sweeten them up (like my local Chevy dealer 2 blocks away who takes care of our Volt). I am all ears to figure out how to get both done. Wish some of the higher-ups of Tesla belonged to this forum to help out. On the Volt forum I belong to, I got several PMs from people in the know who assisted with issues. It would put money in Tesla's coffer and a little extra kick to show off this great car :)

Thanks.

Yes, I'd persist with the national 800 number for support and continue to escalate through the service center.

Lots of things have been coming and going from the Tesla website the last couple weeks in response to the recent price changes for the autopilot and full self driving packages. I would not be surprised if the capacity upgrade option got lost in the shuffle.

I'd be very surprised if Tesla suddenly decided they did not want $2,000 from someone who was willing to give it to them for something that costs them literally nothing. Of course, Tesla has done plenty of surprising stuff recently, so you never know...

Which 800 number are you talking about - the one on the screen for service/roadside assistance? Or do I call the Tesla customer service number (888-518-3752)? And what department would you ask for?

Thanks.

So my first question - did you buy the car from a dealer or individual? I am guessing the latter since you indicated you could see it on your app. There is nothing on mine for any 'option' : unlocking, service plan, etc...

Second, was it corporate or the SC that ultimately 'took' your payment and unlocked the battery? If it was corporate, what number did you call and what group did you talk to (billing, customer service, sales)? To unlock the battery, I saw online that no visit to the SC is needed -- all done via WIFI connection.

I ordered mine directly from Tesla.

I could see the battery upgrade 60->75 on my Tesla Account web site portal. I could click on the upgrade button but it would just take me back to the portal home page.

SC was the one who took my payment. It took them a lot of back and forth with corporate to figure out how to do it "manually." My service adviser told me that the difficult part was not actually doing the upgrade but doing the paperwork to ensure that my car officially becomes S75D. I called the customer support 800-number several times and they were of zero help. It was like they could not do anything at all because it was not in their "script."

I ordered mine directly from Tesla.

I could see the battery upgrade 60->75 on my Tesla Account web site portal. I could click on the upgrade button but it would just take me back to the portal home page.

SC was the one who took my payment. It took them a lot of back and forth with corporate to figure out how to do it "manually." My service adviser told me that the difficult part was not actually doing the upgrade but doing the paperwork to ensure that my car officially becomes S75D. I called the customer support 800-number several times and they were of zero help. It was like they could not do anything at all because it was not in their "script."

Hi realvvk,

Sorry for the delay - didn't see an email about your reply.

OK on ordering it direct. As I said, I bought it used from a non-Tesla dealer and it took a long time to just get corporate to link my car with my account. And there is nothing showing on my account for the battery unlock, so it is even one step further back than what you had.

I re-called the SC in Cleveland but the only suggestion they had was to email [email protected] and give them all the information, so I did. I did not ask to talk to a supervisor there - thought I'd first do what they said to do.

You mentioned it was 'fixed' for you by the SC in Devon, PA. Do you remember who you worked with? If my email does not get results in 2 weeks I was planning on calling back Cleveland but I would also call your SC if I had a contact.

Thanks

Hi realvvk,

Sorry for the delay - didn't see an email about your reply.

OK on ordering it direct. As I said, I bought it used from a non-Tesla dealer and it took a long time to just get corporate to link my car with my account. And there is nothing showing on my account for the battery unlock, so it is even one step further back than what you had.

I re-called the SC in Cleveland but the only suggestion they had was to email [email protected] and give them all the information, so I did. I did not ask to talk to a supervisor there - thought I'd first do what they said to do.

You mentioned it was 'fixed' for you by the SC in Devon, PA. Do you remember who you worked with? If my email does not get results in 2 weeks I was planning on calling back Cleveland but I would also call your SC if I had a contact.

Thanks

I worked with Stephanie Schlegel.

If she is not available, try Amanda or Rich -- they are both very knowledgeable, sharp and easy to work with.

I worked with Stephanie Schlegel.

If she is not available, try Amanda or Rich -- they are both very knowledgeable, sharp and easy to work with.

SUCCESS! After posting here and on other forums, emailing and calling customer support, going in person to the Orlando SC, calling the mobile service group, then tweeting both @tesla and @elonmusk to help me give the company 'free money', it was the mobile ranger (who came out to fix a door handle) who made one call and got it done for the $2K price after I told him my story. He even ordered the 75 badging and said he would install it the next time he is out this way. Glad to get the extra 30-40 mile range as we are going to be doing a bunch of traveling starting next month.

The way to get them do something is just publicizing it. We, Turkish Tesla Owners in Turkey, made them update their servers' time zone info to see correct time on our cars was getting to the front page on reddit. We had opted out of daylight savings two years ago, Tesla caught up 2 years later. Funny that you can't set time manually.

Reactions: FMinMI