Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for the increased power... I don't know what Tesla has done to up the power, honestly. Things I do know, however: The 75 packs are capable of ~1400A output. The small drive unit's I've tested are capable of some pretty high peak currents, beyond 750A. So, I know without any doubt, that Tesla could, with software alone, up the power of the 75D cars significantly... like, probably to the point of being as fast as the original P85D. Should easily be able to get ~500+ HP out of a 75D with no hardware mods whatsoever (with a full, warm pack).

Obviously, Tesla has little incentive to do this, and will likely continue to nerf the lower end models' performance so that people opt for the higher profit margin models.

This is exactly what I wanted to know and suspected for years. Very disappointing if they don't roll out an update for all 75D owners now there isn't any incentive to nerf us any slower than 4.2s anymore!

Reactions: Anssi
Hmm. Very interesting. My 75D was delivered in early May and I have the same part number.

Battery - 1101082-00-A

Which is the 350v 75KW.

So that makes me believe that the power increase must be from a new drive unit INVERTER and software change. Since you're definitely not running a higher "battery" voltage.

The pack voltage has little to do with what the car can do. Whatever voltage the pack is producing is run through an inverter which converts it to AC at whatever voltage the motor wants to see. About the only thing affected by pack voltage is supercharging. A 350V pack is going to supercharge at a lower voltage than a 400V pack.

The power a battery can produce is determined by the number of cells and the chemistry of those cells. The old 85/90 pack had 7104 cells. The difference was the chemistry of the cells. If they make a pack with 14X modules from the 100 pack, it will have around 7200 cells of a similar chemistry to the old 90 pack. It will only be 350V, but with about the same number of cells as the old 90 pack, it will have slightly more capacity and can produce about the same power output as the old 90 pack.

That's plausible, but no evidence to support it thus far to my knowledge.

This doesn't seem logical or plausible. I don't believe Tesla could sell a new vehicle with a reconditioned battery pack.

I'm afraid I've been fanning those flames a bit. I agree there has been no solid evidence yet. However, I am certain Tesla will want to discontinue the modules being used in the 75/90 pack soon and standardize on one module for the S/X, the modules used in the 100 KWh pack. Whether they have done that or not is unknown, but if they have and the new 75s are actually software limited to 75, that would explain the better performance numbers for the new 75.

They did do this when they went from the 70->75. The last 70s had the new 75 pack and it was just software limited.

I also note they are being very aggressive about selling off the old 90s. When they have made changes in the past like that, they have reduced the price of old inventory cars no longer in production, but I don't recall discounts as steep as the old 90s right now.

The batteries are not used. If they are the part number would have not ended with 00-A but example 01-A or 09-A.

Tesla use the number from 01 to A1 on remanufactured batteries for remaining capacity. The part number on the latest 85 is also listed as new.

Example.
batteries.JPG

I placed my order beginning of May, production completed in early June...
rsan - Would you be willing to find out exactly when your car was produced in early June? And any chance you would be willing to time a 0-60mph or 0-100kph run? Maybe take someone with you? I have the new drive unit, the same battery and the same firmware, but I am definitely not getting sub 5 second 0-60 times. I know it feels fast, but it would be great if it were slower and you were waiting like the rest of us for even better performance to be implemented. Otherwise the rest of us are still trying to figure out why yours is early.

Anyone - I assume his car was assembled in the US, that the only other assembly plant is in the Netherlands. Do we know of anyone else claiming the new performance increase yet?

Last edited:
Those 85kWh are probably leftover stock. New and unused, left for repairs that didn't happen.

Hubris_draws_stuff replied to my speculation about 85kWh in new models:
Do you expect some big surprise at the Friday event? • r/teslamotors
I just checked under a new 205XXX VIN 75 S and it has a 75kWh pack and the new performance upgrades, only difference is the addition of "5B" to the battery label, which might be related to a newer revision. But it is still the same 350v (instead of 400v like an 85kWh)
http://i.imgur.com/r9biyks.jpg

So we have a second 75kWh with a 5B
r9biyks.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hubris