Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I just typed out a three paragraph revelation, but the site kicked me out. I’ll elaborate further when I get to my desktop as I’m on my cell phone now, but basically I was told that it’s highly probable that you’ll be uncorked if you have the GEN III onboard charger on your 60D or 75D as they have a rapid splitter type cable system. The older onboard charger also known as dual charger had a straight cable with a fuse on it that cannot handle the increased discharge.

You basically know if you have the GEN III onboard charger if it was offered as an upgrade from 40 amp maximum charging to 72 amp maximum charging at either time of purchase or post purchase via OTA update.

Pardon the thrown together typing. Blame Siri if it sucks. I was too aggravated after the site trashed my initial post.

• Informative
Reactions: Anssi and BartJ
So I just called the SC and was told their bulletin said only builds after Sep '16 were eligible. Does anyone have a copy of the bulletin so I can have a leg to stand on when pressing the issue since several people here have reported uncorking with pre Sep'16 builds. Thanks! Hopefully when I go in Friday for another issue I have better luck!
Another SC with wrong info. If you look at the Tesla Uncorking 75D tracker above there are cars getting uncorked that were built way before 9/16, as far as 5/16.

Well I just typed out a three paragraph revelation, but the site kicked me out. I’ll elaborate further when I get to my desktop as I’m on my cell phone now, but basically I was told that it’s highly probable that you’ll be uncorked if you have the GEN III onboard charger on your 60D or 75D as they have a rapid splitter type cable system. The older onboard charger also known as dual charger had a straight cable with a fuse on it that cannot handle the increased discharge.

You basically know if you have the GEN III onboard charger if it was offered as an upgrade from 40 amp maximum charging to 72 amp maximum charging at either time of purchase or post purchase via OTA update.

Pardon the thrown together typing. Blame Siri if it sucks. I was too aggravated after the site trashed my initial post.
there was an option when we ordered to get the dual charger but we didnt think it was needed or worth the exta $$ i think $1000

Ok, I've looked at about 100 cars in the UK and the best I can deduce at this time is: The codes FMP6 and LLP2 may be the indications that they can be uncorked and S32P (and possibly S32C) may indicate it has been or built uncorked. If anyone who has been told they can be uncorked, had a newer car that came with better performance or have been uncorked can comment on just these codes and whether they have them that would help. Thx

I'm eligible for uncorking yet have none of those codes.

At a loss then, all the other codes seem to be used on other models as far as I can tell. Things like range upgrades have been visible this route.

How about this info:

‘I was told that it’s highly probable that you’ll be uncorked if you have the GEN III onboard charger on your 60D or 75D as they have a rapid splitter type cable system. The older onboard charger also known as dual charger had a straight cable with a fuse on it that cannot handle the increased discharge.

You basically know if you have the GEN III onboard charger if it was offered as an upgrade from 40 amp maximum charging to 72 amp maximum charging at either time of purchase or post purchase via OTA update.’

How about this info:

‘I was told that it’s highly probable that you’ll be uncorked if you have the GEN III onboard charger on your 60D or 75D as they have a rapid splitter type cable system. The older onboard charger also known as dual charger had a straight cable with a fuse on it that cannot handle the increased discharge.

You basically know if you have the GEN III onboard charger if it was offered as an upgrade from 40 amp maximum charging to 72 amp maximum charging at either time of purchase or post purchase via OTA update.’
Wouldn't the list of option codes tell you which charger you got?

How about this info:

The CH04 High Amperage Charger should be the 72 Amp version. That's pretty easy to check in myTesla. I've got that but nobody is still eligible in the Netherlands...

CHxx is the original way to code charger and all facelift cars seem to have CH04, CF00/CF01 are now also used with CH04 to indicate high power or standard (CF00 being high power) but this is probably simply whether the option is turned on, There seems to be a complete cross section in the UK (of CFxx) including a mix of vins either side of 207500 which could have either.

Just looked at a US car and it has a CH05 charger. That may just be because they use different ones for voltage, different connector etc.

Last edited:
You can use the Power Tools app on iOS devices. There may be another app as well, but I’m not familiar with it. Power Tools cost a few bucks, but it works well. I had a S75 RWD as a loaner a few weeks ago. I know what you mean about the performance. It was very peppy and responsive. More so than my 75D. My 75D is in the SC right now for a couple issues, one being uncorking. I’m anxious to see what it drives like after. If it’s like the 100D I’m driving now, I’ll be a happy camper. Even the 100D has a different feel than the 75 RWD. The 100D is a little smoother and refined, whereas the 75 was a little more raw. I can see why some prefer the RWD platform.

Completely agree with this statement! The uncorked 75D is like a NOS injected vehicle... more of a rush, less smooth on the delivery, raw is the perfect description. The 90D (have not driven a 100D) feels more refined.

518hp is the full capability of the combined front and rear motor in the 60D,70D,75D,85D,90D and 100D. In the 75D before uncorking, they were producing 329hp, now over 400hp uncorked but still not at full motor power of 518hp (that's if you are going off the quoted hp, owners using the ap report 375hp corked and 450hp uncorked)

I've wondered about the "HP" figures, with the apps, I figure the calculations are basically WHP whereas the motor numbers of "at the crank" so to speak. Not really quite sure if or how to factor in losses due to the "drivetrain" in an electric vehicle. Perhaps some experts can chime in or point me to a thread where this has been explained!

Case closed for RWD cars! email from escalations team below:
===
Hi Eric,

I looked into your car's configuration and you have a single motor 60kwh battery. Even if you upgraded your battery from a 60 to a 75, in order for us to perform the "uncorking" you MUST have a dual motor car. For that simple reason, regardless of whether you upgrade or not, you will not be eligible.

Thank you and have a great afternoon!
Alli | Escalations Team
24/7 Support 1-877-79-TESLA
===

Ok, to further elaborate on this, the tech stated that the 75D battery being SW locked into 60D status can't handle the increased discharge, or would be overstressed. This may explain why some owners report feeling slightly quicker post 75 range upgrade.

As @JonG stated, all facelift cars seem to have the newest Gen III charger that requires only firmware to unlock. It won't show up in your MyTesla account because it isn't OTA and requires a visit to the SC for some hardwired unlocking. The Tesla Shop further bolsters this with-
upload_2017-10-25_18-27-46.png

Read last line (Not compatible with the new front fascia Model S). This^ is part of the Gen II system, which is held hostage by this dreaded said fuse.

The tech's suggestion for 60D owners whose 75 upgrade balances on a performance upgrade is: wait a bit longer, a week or so, and let more come out of this. It's all extremely new and SCs are getting information in bits and pieces. By then, he hopes they could provide a solid yes or no answer to any 60D owner if the uncorking will be obtainable after unlocking 75.

My hunch- all facelift Model S 60D/75D cars (at least in the US, not sure what the heck's going on over the pond) will be eligible for uncorking, with the 60 needing to be range upgraded. Obviously it'd be nice if 60 could be uncorked with SW lock in place, but hey, it's a good excuse now to get that extra range, right?

Another SC with wrong info. If you look at the Tesla Uncorking 75D tracker above there are cars getting uncorked that were built way before 9/16, as far as 5/16.

That is what I was seeing so I am pretty sure he was wrong. I plan on pressing the issue on Friday when I go in to have them take a look at my fried key Fob. I was hoping to go in there with something more official though than "On the forums this one guy..." or "I know this one dude that..." if I had the actual service bulletin I could go "See per your own bulletin it states here that..."

I will definitely report back though.

I am seeing a lot of info on 60D vs 75D but not a whole lot of info for 70D. I guess I am one of the few that had 70D as an option with facelift that really had a 75D battery in it. I hope I don't have to unlock the last 5kwh for this but if I have to I will gladly drop the $500 for both range and performance upgrade. That full second difference from 0-60 no small difference.

That is what I was seeing so I am pretty sure he was wrong. I plan on pressing the issue on Friday when I go in to have them take a look at my fried key Fob. I was hoping to go in there with something more official though than "On the forums this one guy..." or "I know this one dude that..." if I had the actual service bulletin I could go "See per your own bulletin it states here that..."

I will definitely report back though.

I am seeing a lot of info on 60D vs 75D but not a whole lot of info for 70D. I guess I am one of the few that had 70D as an option with facelift that really had a 75D battery in it. I hope I don't have to unlock the last 5kwh for this but if I have to I will gladly drop the $500 for both range and performance upgrade. That full second difference from 0-60 no small difference.
There's at least 1 case of a 70D uncorking, in one of these threads.

Created this little XLS to help track uncorking data. Can you please add yours in here? Thanks for all the details! I am waiting to hear back from my CS on my eligibility (fingers crossed!).

Tesla Uncorking 75D Tracker

So uhh it looks like someone deleted 9 lines of data from the tracker... See change log second October 25 2:02 PM vs the first one. From 42 lines of data to 33. I noticed because my data disappeared and had to re-input it and then decided to look back and see what happened to it...