Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D and Just Got a VIN!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mlouie23 and @captaintessie also, Do you have 6 or 7 seats? :)
I have 7.
Thanks @Poiuy09 and @Brandon332 for your detective work in trying to figure out the rhyme and reason! :)

My theory: Since X75D Californians can't possibly help out the Q2 delivery estimates and boost stats, Tesla decided to front load Q3 with East Coast. Hopefully the East Coast and West Coast can all get deliveries around the same time.
*Disclaimer - i have no authoritative source...i'm just pulling this outta my @$$ and open to any conspiracy theories :)

I wish Tesla would let us know their prioritization process and how they determine the production queue...then we'd all stop hounding our DS's for updates. Positive side - this brings all of us on the forums closer together.

Cheers to the X75Ds who got their VINs! Getting closer!

Picking up at Freemont, 75D, confirmed in Jan, all options except audio and cold weather, white, black/black, 7 seater, reservation holder since 6/14, Cash...NO VIN?!?!?
Just to add one more possible factor to the mix...I've owned my Model S since early 2013.
But I think we are reading into this too much. Everyone will get their 75D within weeks of each other...maybe even days.

Just to add one more possible factor to the mix...I've owned my Model S since early 2013.
But I think we are reading into this too much. Everyone will get their 75D within weeks of each other...maybe even days.

My DS has maintained a June delivery estimate since March so I am hoping this holds true. As my daughter would say..."I am a little jelly"

Reactions: Sri Kooturu
All I speculate that they may be trying to fit us all in by the end of THIS quarter. It seems that of all the people that have commented, those with California delivery have no VINs while those in farther states do. This could be intentional, make the east coast ones in earlier June so they will get delivered before the 30th then make the CA ones later in June and still have them delivered before the 30th. We all get around the same time and before end of quarter?

Reactions: mlouie23
All I speculate that they may be trying to fit us all in by the end of THIS quarter. It seems that of all the people that have commented, those with California delivery have no VINs while those in farther states do. This could be intentional, make the east coast ones in earlier June so they will get delivered before the 30th then make the CA ones later in June and still have them delivered before the 30th. We all get around the same time and before end of quarter?

Short answer: Who knows? :)

Longer answer: This is plausible. I don't think we can rule that Tesla is trying to give the 75D orders a chance to affect Q2. A couple points:
  • Obviously, Tesla will be doing everything it can to boost its Q2 delivery numbers. Especially in light of its announced capital raising.
  • One side note: just because the Non-CA VIN's are getting issued first doesn't mean they will get made first.
  • In the last rush at the end of Q1, Tesla issued a large number of VIN's around March 8th and delivered a good percentage of them for factory pickup by the end of the month. This implies that they can, if needed, issue VINs in early June and have those be available for factory delivery by the end of Q2. To be clear, I'm not saying they'll do that again, just that it's in their capability.
  • The final turnaround time at the SC (or factory) seems to be around 72 hours now. Basically, if they can get a car to the SC (or out of the factory) by the 24th or so, it's got a decent shot to hit Q2.
  • From the number of VINs released today, it looks like there is a little over 2 weeks of total production time needed to make all the backlogged 75D's.
  • Realistically, we'll know soon. Taking the most optimistic transport and prep time numbers we know, I'd estimate the following production starts would be needed to see delivery in Q2:
    • Eastern US: Week of June 6
    • Western US (Non-CA): Week of June 13
    • CA: Week of June 20
A big indicator will be if we see 75D's going into production the week of the 6th. If so, it would imply that Tesla will be trying very hard to get the 75D's delivered by month end.

Oh yeah, one other approach...

The highest delivered VIN is a bit above 5000. Not all of the 5000 have been delivered, so as a swag, let's say 1000 of those haven't been delivered yet, though some are in production/transport now. If the CA 75's had been issued today, the highest VIN today would probably be somewhere around 9000.

That would leave us with roughly 5000 vehicles with VINs to build and deliver (9000-5000+1000). In an ideal world, Tesla would - of course - like to deliver as many of those as possible by the end of Q2.

How many is doable? Well, some have yet to be built, some of those are in transport, and others are in the process of being built. Assuming ~4 weeks from build start to delivery, the production window for these conservatively starts roughly 3 weeks ago. As mentioned above, the window probably closes the end of the week of June 20th. (For the last minute factory deliveries.)

So... That leave us with ~7-8 weeks of undelivered production that could theoretically get delivered by the end of June. (i.e. production from sometime in the first week of May through the last week of June). At 700-750 vehicles/week in production capacity, that's around 5000-6000 deliveries between now and the end of June - roughly the number of outstanding/newly issued VIN's.

Is that their plan? (and even if it is, could they pull it off?) Who knows. But the math broadly works and it's theoretically doable.

Reactions: Out4aDuck

I like this idea. you should tweet Elon about this.:)