Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D Battery Lost 17km (11mi) at 100% Charge? (Getting 364km/226mi)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my cars just crossed the 14,000km mark and is 7 months old...typically always charge to 90% every night, and so forth.

Weather was great...17c (63F). Woke up to the "90%" level showing only 326km (usually shows around 340). And had a little longer trip planned so charged to 100%.

When I charged to 100% I noticed that it seems I already have the battery losing range/capacity at just 14,000km and 7 months into ownership.

Nearly a 5% loss?

Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

axHtteP.jpg

6f28aQC.jpg

nU2mDil.jpg

Not sure if this is a fact, but I've noticed more vampire drain while it's plugged in versus not plugged in. I'm comparing a full full charge to 90% versus it sitting in the airport when I travel.

This is about 10 minutes at most from when charging completed, so don't think there could've been any vampire drainage for 100%. I suspected it may have been vampire drainage overnight when I saw 326km when I first woke up, but now doubting that too

I think 6% within the first year is pretty common, so 5% seems reasonable. What sounds bad is that this seemed to come suddenly, which I haven't heard of before now.

If you haven't done many 100% charges, the battery might benefit from a few more to rebalance the cells. That can add a few miles to the range.

I think 6% within the first year is pretty common, so 5% seems reasonable. What sounds bad is that this seemed to come suddenly, which I haven't heard of before now.

If you haven't done many 100% charges, the battery might benefit from a few more to rebalance the cells. That can add a few miles to the range.

6% loss of range is normal after the first year? Someone said its that much after 4 years! I last charged to 100% early march and I got 381km. And typically charge to 90% and by the time I get to the car its between 336-338km (I think it charges to 341 at 90%).

What's "new" is the day before (Friday), my battery levels dropped to about 42km of range left when I parked and went inside to the office. 30 minutes later I checked my app, and the app shows 32km of range left with part of the battery in blue and a snow flake logo. What's funny is it wasn't even cold. It was about 10C (50F). And I've never seen this snowflake before. And so I had to go drop it off to a J1172 Charger near by to let it charge for a few hours in order for me to make it home.

Did this charger, or snow flake have anything to do with this?

I'm at 7K miles with a 1 year old 90D and I've dropped from 264 100% when new to 250 miles now, 7 miles below the published mileage. About 5% degradation. You are going to have a lot lower numbers during Winter as well and will probably get 3-4 back estimated during hottest Summer months here soon.

But it is true that you will see most loss during the 1st year and then it should slow down and stabilize.

Here's one of the battery surveys:
Battery Survey « Plug In America

Sounds like the battery was cold, which I think does reduce range. That could easily be the cause of your sudden range loss. However, I'm in Arizona. No experience with the blue snowflake. There should be no permanent range loss, once things warm up. The charger shouldn't hurt anything and probably helped warm the battery in addition to charging.

Here's one of the battery surveys:
Battery Survey « Plug In America

Sounds like the battery was cold, which I think does reduce range. That could easily be the cause of your sudden range loss. However, I'm in Arizona. No experience with the blue snowflake. There should be no permanent range loss, once things warm up. The charger shouldn't hurt anything and probably helped warm the battery in addition to charging.

I find it really weird that the battery would be cold in 10C. I've never even gotten the snowflake at -10C. Also that was Friday.

The pics above are after charging to 100% in my garage the following day when it was 17c...I.e. canadian summer haha

It is a well known fact that new Lithium Ion batteries will degrade slightly at first, but then stabilize.

Also, I too see regen limitation at around 10ºC, so I would consider that temperature to be considered cold for Li batteries. I haven't done any proper observations, but my gut feeling is that somewhere between 10ºC and 15ºC is when battery temperatures are considered warm enough to be in a safe operational range, probably closer to 10ºC.

So my cars just crossed the 14,000km mark and is 7 months old...typically always charge to 90% every night, and so forth.

Weather was great...17c (63F). Woke up to the "90%" level showing only 326km (usually shows around 340). And had a little longer trip planned so charged to 100%.

When I charged to 100% I noticed that it seems I already have the battery losing range/capacity at just 14,000km and 7 months into ownership.

Nearly a 5% loss?

Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

The battery numbers aren't consistent at all.

When my 75D is plugged in and maxed, I get 233 mi - which would indicate just less than 2% of degradation. There's a lot of information about re-balancing (and the myth of it as it constantly re-balances,) my experience has been that my car occasionally shows 211mi @ 90%, indicating a 1% degradation. I don't know if full charging definitively helps, but I do it once in a while and I have shown 213mi @ 90%, which would indicate no degradation at all. I have been able to get all of these numbers in the same day, so temperature was relatively consistent.

I do see a significant vampire drain - mostly in cold weather. I assume that's the car keeping the battery warm. I've had overnight vampire drains show about a 6-7% loss when parked outside in winter weather.

I'm not sure if this helps or not..

I took delivery of the car in January. So far I have driven close to 6000km. It's the first time I've charged to 100% yesterday, and it's giving me 377km. That's 1% degradation already and it's only been 3 months. Normally I charge to 80% and on a few occasions I've charged it to 95% at the supercharger. Is this normal?

The battery numbers aren't consistent at all.

When my 75D is plugged in and maxed, I get 233 mi - which would indicate just less than 2% of degradation. There's a lot of information about re-balancing (and the myth of it as it constantly re-balances,) my experience has been that my car occasionally shows 211mi @ 90%, indicating a 1% degradation. I don't know if full charging definitively helps, but I do it once in a while and I have shown 213mi @ 90%, which would indicate no degradation at all. I have been able to get all of these numbers in the same day, so temperature was relatively consistent.

I do see a significant vampire drain - mostly in cold weather. I assume that's the car keeping the battery warm. I've had overnight vampire drains show about a 6-7% loss when parked outside in winter weather.

I'm not sure if this helps or not..

100% charge yesterday gave me 238 mi of range, higher than rated (set on rated, not ideal) I unplugged it and overnight loss before leaving this am was 5mi and down to 233mi before leaving. My previous post was 233mi while plugged in. I can't make heads or tails of it.

I believe I have the same issue. I own my car less than 8 weeks and only have 4K miles on it. I upgraded to 75D from 60D and charged the battery to 100% for the 1st time ever and got only 255 miles which is less than the rated 259 miles. I used to get 219Miles on a 218 miles rated 60D.
I was expecting 259 or 260 after the full charge... I have already called my service center in dublin and the smart ass tech over there tried to convince me that it changes all the time...
I do totally understand that it does based on the temperature etc.. however, it was around 80 degrees.... or more outside and it fully charged the 60D to 219 then upgraded stopped at 255...
Whats more the smart ass tech in Dublin even told me like this is not a gas car sir... No *sugar* sherlock I paid 100K i didnt know it...
So disappointed....

Are you checking the range right as charging finishes? Once it hits 100% is does not trickle charge (at least not for a while), so any vampire drain will start sucking the miles right away - every app, keeping the car connected, out of powersaving, etc take miles right away. I've noticed a several mile drop from when the HPWC charging stops generally around 2am and the morning at 7am.

Are you checking the range right as charging finishes? Once it hits 100% is does not trickle charge (at least not for a while), so any vampire drain will start sucking the miles right away - every app, keeping the car connected, out of powersaving, etc take miles right away. I've noticed a several mile drop from when the HPWC charging stops generally around 2am and the morning at 7am.

For my original OP, yes that was minutes after it completed the charge.